PDA

View Full Version : air filter mod.

Louie
05-08-2007, 05:04 PM
So what after market airfilters are you all using, and how do you like it. I want to change mine up from stock but need to keep the intake clean!! I dont race but deal with alot of dust and some water splash. I may go with the modquad k&n filter kit with the billet intake and modquad air box lid. Any suggestions?

05-08-2007, 05:26 PM
don't waste you money, they won't give you any more hp, its been proven time and time agins on the dyno, the only intake out right now that will give you any gains is the fuel atv intake, its been giving 3hp gain at the rear wheels. look here www.fuelatv.com.

asjr39
05-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Even that doesnt give you any gains. It doesnt matter what size your air filter is because the intake from the air filter too the FI is too small. The air is limited from that point as well. There is a company that has modified that plastic piece and it is the only thing that is showing a gain. And there is no gain without that part. Once you have that mod then it will make a difference in air filter size. If you look at that part it is pinched and is limited as to how much air enters.

CdaleXtreme
05-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by asjr39
Even that doesnt give you any gains. It doesnt matter what size your air filter is because the intake from the air filter too the FI is too small. The air is limited from that point as well. There is a company that has modified that plastic piece and it is the only thing that is showing a gain. And there is no gain without that part. Once you have that mod then it will make a difference in air filter size. If you look at that part it is pinched and is limited as to how much air enters.

The Fuel Intake eliminates the restrictive plastic intake, and has been Dyno proven time and again to give anywhere from 2-3 Horsepower depending on mods.

It is usually a good Idea to know what you are talking about before you actually talk.

FUELATV
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
My intake will eliminate the air box, the stock filter and the restrictive stock plastic part. My filter and intake ring not only flow more air, but it creates velocity. Here are some more photos ......

My filter on the left and a Trinity, mod quad K&N on the right. Note the intake size.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE007.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE008.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE010.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE.jpg

FUELATV
05-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Here are a couple more ......

Here is the mounting bracket. Note the solid clamping surface for the air filter and the intake boot. The bracket also has a spot to mount the TPS sensor.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/intakephotos023.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/intakephotos026.jpg

FUELATV
05-09-2007, 10:24 AM
How about a dyno sheet to top it off ......

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/FUELATVintakeDynoruns.jpg

05-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by asjr39

good call:o you almost had it right, but thanks anyway:devil:

Speed_MDS2
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
This intake freakin rocks! I've got one and the guys at the hill where all acusing me of sand baggin, sayin that I got cams or something and that the intake couldn't have been all it was. If you don't believe it works thats ok, ppl with it gotta have someone to pass consistantly.

Louie
05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
So how well does this setup keep the intake clean? I'm more concerned about protection vs hp gains. Dont get me wrong, the extra power would be nice, and this setup looks awsome. I am happy with the power i get with the air box lid off and stock filter, but when i check it, all that dirt build up is scarey vs with the lid on.

asjr39
05-09-2007, 06:00 PM
When I first read about the Fuelatv product I dont remember seing that the part I was talking about was eliminated. Sometimes I wonder about some of you. It is very simple too correct someone, watch I will show you. "Hey asjr39 you made a mistake the plastic part is removed" you see how easy that was. So next time you get your panties in a knot, take a deep breath and think just alittle. If thats the case with fuelatv then I myself will buy one as well.

asjr39
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
And I just went too there website and its says nothing of that part being eliminated. So unless some smart guy like yourself tells someone there is no way to really know now is there?

Louie
05-09-2007, 07:26 PM
So fuel, i see that the bracket connects to the frame, the billet adapter connects to the bracket, and the filter connects to one side of the adapter. Where does the other side of the adapter connect to? Does it connect to the factory intake tube, or do you supply another part? Thanks!

Speed_MDS2
05-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Louie. It connects to the factory intake tube and keeps the intake very clean. I've had zero problems with mine and I ride in lots of dust. Also, because the exhaust canister sits behind it, it doesn't get near as wet as you would think if you hit some muddy spots. Its a great setup and fuels a great guy to deal with, you will not be disapointed.

asjr39
05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
once again, if it connects to the factory intake tube it will not give you any gains because its very restrictive. It will only allow so much air in regardless of air filter size

AL Elks
05-10-2007, 08:51 PM
You are correct up to a point.

These bikes are starving for air.

The stock filter doesn't cut it. The FUELATV intake with filter lets in MUCH MORE AIR even when hooked to the stock intake tube.

Now the next question is at what point to you overdrive the stock intake tube. From what I can see it is designed very well so I think it would be hard to over drive it. That doesn't mean it couldn't be improved on but that it is very efficient.

Now with your thinking when you replace any air filter with an after market air filter then there should be NO GAINS as you still have the stock intake tube. This is definitely not true. Do a little research and you will find that in almost every case a more free flowing filter will allow more air into the system to a point.

asjr39
05-10-2007, 08:55 PM
point taken

FUELATV
05-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Tests were done with out the intake tube and no HP was gained. This leads us to believe the stock intake tube is not robbing HP. However major HP was gained by adding the intake ring and filter. This filter is larger and flows more air PLUS when combined with the billet adaptor more velocity is created.

Louie
05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
So with your intake kit will i need anything else to make it all work correctly? I have the cherry-bomb in it now. Is that enough to correct the oxygen increase?

strubby
05-11-2007, 05:46 PM
You can run it that way (if you just have the baffle out of your stock exhaust), but it might be a little lean. Probably safe, but to get the best gains, and reliability, I'd get a PC and use one of Fuel's tunes.

FUELATV
05-13-2007, 11:12 PM
It will all depend on your altitude. I always recommend having your bike dyno tunned. I do offer some maps on my website that will give you a very good starting point.

Speed_MDS2
05-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Fuel's PIM map has served me well.