PDA

View Full Version : Looking into getting a HC II cam, have some ?s

07HondaTRX450R
05-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Ok obviously I have a 07 450R, Im wanting to order a HC stage 2.

My bike is 100% stock right now.

Whatelse do I need along with the HC cam, like re-jetting? If so what jet do I need? and is it hard to install?

Also what kind of gains will I see out of the cam with having stock exhaust

Duke450r
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Most likely, a change in cams will not affect your jetting, however if you change air filters, take off or cut the air box lid, or add a slip on or full exhaust, jetting will definitely be affected.

There is a possibility that you will need different shims to achieve the correct valve clearance. The shop manual for torque and clearance specs. is also a valuable tool.

Good luck!

07HondaTRX450R
05-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Duke450r
Most likely, a change in cams will not affect your jetting, however if you change air filters, take off or cut the air box lid, or add a slip on or full exhaust, jetting will definitely be affected.

There is a possibility that you will need different shims to achieve the correct valve clearance. The shop manual for torque and clearance specs. is also a valuable tool.

Good luck!
How can I tell if I need different shims?

My bike has about 12hrs on it

Also if Im going to be doing 99% track racing should I get the stage 1 for low end or the stage 2?

Chino886
05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 07HondaTRX450R
How can I tell if I need different shims?

My bike has about 12hrs on it

Also if Im going to be doing 99% track racing should I get the stage 1 for low end or the stage 2?

I have ran both cams (hot cam II and HRC) in my 06 450R and I like the HRC better for the track.

Duke450r
05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
The only way to know, is to check clearances after the installation. That means possibly being down long enough to get the right shims. Not a problem if you live close to a dealer. The other way is ordering a Hot Cams shim kit, about $70 +- which will have any shim you need.

I have installed 3 stage 2's and 2 needed shims 1 did not. So you never know until after the install.

07HondaTRX450R
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
I have ran both cams (hot cam II and HRC) in my 06 450R and I like the HRC better for the track.
I can pick up a HC cam for $134 thats why Im going with them.

And yes I do have a local honda dealer about 15miles away so I could pick up shims if needed.

How easy is the install?

Will I see good gains with nothing else done but the cam swap?