PDA

View Full Version : Eton running great with some minor mods

oldyeller
05-08-2007, 07:57 AM
We started to mod our Eton Viper a little last fall but the cold weather set in before we could really try it out...Had it out on the weekend for a little test session and it seems to be working great..We gained about 1-2 mph on radar and it seems to accelerate much quicker...We put on a UNI filter and some boyeseen reeds,rejetted the carb up to a #115 main and installed three 5 gram rollers along with 3 original 8 gram units...We also disconnected the oil injection but the pump is still there with looped oil lines....Originally we tried using just the 5 gram rollers but top end suffered pretty bad...I bought a bigger front sprocket(18 tooth) to try along with the 5 gram rollers to see if I can get the top end back when using the lighter rollers....I hate to mess with it now though :D

newnick
05-08-2007, 02:24 PM
The easiest way to pick up top end is with gearing.

oldyeller
05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Will a 3 tooth larger front sprocket be too much for a mildly modded engine to pull?...I ordered the engine parts from Hetricks and he says the way they set them up is to set the rollers light enough for a good holeshot and then adjust the gearing to get the speed back....I didn't buy this sprocket from Hetricks I just picked it up cheap off of ebay to try it so its probably not the optimum size...My son wieghs about 60lbs.

newnick
05-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I think a 18 is fine on the front, we run one the majority of the time. It also fits well on the Eton as far as keeping the chain off the frame. If the motor feels good through the whole range when you ride it it should be fine with your son. When it's time for a top end find someone to reshape the head and kick the compression up just a little and it should help with the power also.

oldyeller
05-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Dang newnick now you got me wondering what if.:D ..I guess I'll throw the 18 on the front and give it a try.

newnick
05-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Never hurts to try something.

bulldogfallon
05-10-2007, 02:50 PM
A smaller rear sprocket will probably give you better results than a bigger front sprocket......

Even though the ratio could be the same.....

Front sprocket is easier to change though....

You can pull off your side cover and mark your front pulley with a black marker and reassembly the cover with a few bolts (not all are needed for testing (just the long center one and 1 in the rear and 1 in the front)..

Run the quad and then pull the cover back off and see how high the belt rode on the pulley by how much the marker is worn away....the heavier the weight the higher the belt "should" ride....

Too heavy of weights will slow your holeshot so a little trial and error may be needed.

Also changing the rear torque spring and clutch springs will give you a better launch instead of making the rollers do all the work....but then you may need a little heavier roller weights

I am not an expert on CVTs, but I wanted to share some of the basics that have been shared with me..

A new belt (from Malossi) may give you better performance as well....If your belt if too short or worn out..