PDA

View Full Version : HC stg 2vs stg 3 for stroker

maddmatt02
05-07-2007, 11:11 PM
ok, I got the stg 2 in there now, was in there when it was a 440 before it blew, now its a 460 and still has the stg 2 cam still. HC's site says stg2 designed for 440 BB and stg 3 designed for 460 stroker, well I would think the 440BB would be more of a top end motor while the 460 would be built for low end . but looking at the cam specs the stg 3 has only .004 more lift and 8 degrees more duration. I thought more duration led to overlap which is better in the higher RPM's, and a higher lift, lower duration was better at making low end power.

so is the stg 3 cam really better for the stroker? with 4 thousandths more lift and 8 degrees more duration would I really notice it, and would I lose much low end?

also anywhere cheaper to get hard welded rockers than web?

what do you think about the web 55-911. little less duration than the 55-961. more than either HC, but specs seem like the top end gain might actually be enough to justify any low end loss.

other companies of cams?

GPracer2500
05-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
....I thought more duration led to overlap....

Speaking very generally, it does work out that way. But duration isn't the only thing that determines valve overlap. To know exactly how much overlap there is you've got to use the Lobe Centerline Angle specification to calculate when the intake valves open and the exhaust valves close. Duration and LCA combine to determine the overlap.

The actual overlap may be more or less then you'd expect if you're looking at duration alone.