PDA

View Full Version : Gearing for sand, what sprockets?

gregrob
05-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi guys.
I'm in the process of getting the 400 ready for sand. I'll be going on mem day wknd.

It has a 416 kit, 11:1 JE Piston w/Cometic thin gaskets, and a Hotcam Stg 2.

It is currently running stock gearing.

I think I'll be using some 18 or 20" smallish paddles so I'm not bogging it out.

Should I drop a tooth on the front sprocket?
What is stock gearing?
What works for you guys in the sand and with paddles.

I'm pretty heavy and there are some nasty hills so I want all I can get.

Thanx

Greg

chuckys400ex
05-08-2007, 08:56 AM
my ex is stock so i run a 14 front and 39 rear i love the torq.i can climb all the hills at coos bay,or with no prob usely.99-2004 stock gearing is 15 front and 38 rear,04 on is 14/38.it all depends on what type of riding you mostly want to do in the sand,if you want top speed then you will want to be taller in front and smaller or stock 38 in rear but if want torq then do the oppisite.hope this helps

GPracer2500
05-08-2007, 10:56 AM
My 400EX was similar: 416, STG2, etc. I went one down in the front and used a rev box that gave me more revs on top. I did use those extra revs--I'd hit the limiter regularly in 2nd, 3rd, and maybe even 4th (can't recall) when I tried my stock CDI. I'm sure some of that was my riding style and the fact that I was used to having the extra revs on top. In other words, I'd still go down one in the front even if you don't have a rev box.

This was for the ISDRA dunes in CA. I ran 20" or 21" paddles.

Which paddles are you thinking of using? Paddles choice makes a huge difference. Personally, I wouldn't go any smaller than 20" on a 400EX (or pretty much anything for that matter).

gregrob
05-09-2007, 05:32 PM
I was thinking of some 21" Dune Haulers (skat trak hauler copies)
They are 8 paddles, 21-12-8 and buffed.

I think the extra rims I have are 10's though, in which case I might get some sand stars if I can find them cheep.