PDA

View Full Version : RPM Tapered or Twin Row?

RiPPiNiTuP7
10-14-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm going to buy a RPM Axle soon, and plan to get a carrier too...so should I dish out the extra money for the tapered, or just get the twin row? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Thanks Guys....

mxracer111
10-14-2002, 05:42 PM
this was taken from RPM's website: www.team-RPM.com
MILLENNIUM AXLE BEARING CARRIERS:

RPM as the originator of the tapered roller bearing system axle carrier, CNC machines each carrier from billet 6061 aluminum. By installing tapered roller bearings, that are load rated at 8000 lbs. of side load versus the stock single-row bearings that have a side load rating of 500 lbs., you get a bearing that is 16 times stronger than stock unit. This allows the carrier to spin your axle on the strongest bearings available, and our tapered bearings are serviceable, unlike regular ball bearings. Also, remember that this high-tech tapered bearing system is also used in our Cyclone wheel hubs.

The MILLENNIUM is 25% lighter than it's leading competitor, reducing unsprung weight, and comes with a 3 year warranty. The Honda MILLENNIUM comes complete with a brake stay arm, and you can even adjust the bearing load as it wears to increase bearing life. Top racers including Doug Eichner, Tim Farr, John Stallworth, and Travis Spader use and endorse the MILLENNIUM.

RPM also manufactures Twin-Row Bearing Carriers which use a double set of ball bearings instead of the stock single row. This gives you twice the strength and reliability of the stock bearing carriers.

Varmit57
03-19-2003, 04:47 PM
I have a chance to buy a used Tapered carrier, Just wondering what you think. Is it a good idea???

Mxbubs
03-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Ive never seen a set of bearings blow out from a load overload.

I have seen many bearings be worn out from sand and mud.

The tapered are better, but for the price, do you really need bearings to take a 8k lbs hit and stay alive?

I think you can ride a long time and never blow out the twin rows.

I have broke EVERY possible part on a bike, but never blew out bearings, wore them out yeah, but not blew out.

mxracer111
03-20-2003, 03:08 AM
i have actually seen twinrow bearings crack. they cant take the load that tapered bearings do...... you land a big jump a lil crooked or something like that they can crack and come apart rather easily.....go with tapered to save the headache.....also the tapered RPM bearings in my quad have been there for 2 years without trouble..... you cant tell me that twinrow bearings will last like that in and hard riding conditions or racing like i put the RPM through

400MXer
03-20-2003, 03:40 AM
I've had both. I had a twin row...but i had a seal go bad and dirt and water got into my bearings and it really tore my carrier up. Now i've got a tapper carrier. It's all about rebuilding it every now and then. If you do that you could have a carrier forever. the one thing about the tappered is that you don't have to buy new bearings for every rebuild. You just repack them with grease, put new seals in, and bada bing...your set. But the tappered carrier is quite a bit more and i honestly couldn't tell you if it is worth the extra money.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-20-2003, 04:21 AM
Wow this is an old topic...well I went with the RPM Tapered Carrier and I have no regrets.

Ex'r Marlin
03-20-2003, 05:31 AM
I have a twin row on the 300, and a tapered on the 400. No problems to date with either of them, but then again, I do not jump with either of them like the majority of you guys on here!:D (I do not like to jump!).

Anyway, to me, the maintenance and reliability of the tapered justifies the price difference.

There are various differences between the two when you compare them side by side. One thing that is very noticeable is the diameter of the tapered bearings versus the twin or single row bearings. Because of this, the tapered bearing carrier does not have as much chain adjustment as the twin or single row bearing carriers. Note: I do not have a problem with chain adjustments with my tapered bearing carrier.

Good luck! :) And hopefully you enjoy your new RPM Dominator axle as much as I enjoy both of mine!:)

toby400ex
03-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Im not sure if anyone mentioned this but with a tapered bearing carrier you cant adjust your chain, isnt that right.:confused:

Ex'r Marlin
03-20-2003, 09:31 AM
As far as I know, all axle carriers for the Hondas have a way to adjust the chain, even the tapered axle carriers.

Note: My experience with the tapered bearing axle carrier is that it does not have as much adjustment as the single or double row axle carriers.

Hope this helps!

03-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin

Note: My experience with the tapered bearing axle carrier is that it does not have as much adjustment as the single or double row axle carriers.

marlin's 100% correct..the tapered bearings are much larger there for you lose the adjustment cap..because of this..when you turn the carrier it doesn't move the carrier back and forward as much as the twin row's... I wanted a tapered but since i change around sprockets so much between MX and XC i had to go with a twin row..:macho

400exBro
03-20-2003, 09:49 AM
i dont now if this applys to atv tapered bearing but you need to have the right amound of preload(tension) on them or else they will go out a lot eairler then they are supose to....

i run the twin row and love it over the stock... i am not tim far here so i don t need to spend all that money, stock probably would of did fine but i am getting a axle and the twin row holds up a lot better to the extra leverage....

Jnine
03-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Twin row all the way! I would never own a tapered bearing carrier the way they are set up now because:

1: Difficult to adjust preload. Remember YOU have to set the preload on the tapered bearings. Too much and it seems like the motor is down on power because you have the bearings set too tight. Too little preload and the axle will wobble.

2: You give up most of the chain adjustment because of the diameter of the tapered bearings

3: Price... Just not worth it.

4: Not sealed as good

Talk to you later.

JA

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Jnine
Twin row all the way! I would never own a tapered bearing carrier the way they are set up now because:

1: Difficult to adjust preload. Remember YOU have to set the preload on the tapered bearings. Too much and it seems like the motor is down on power because you have the bearings set too tight. Too little preload and the axle will wobble.

2: You give up most of the chain adjustment because of the diameter of the tapered bearings

3: Price... Just not worth it.

4: Not sealed as good

Talk to you later.

JA

Oh jeez thanks, that makes me feel better :(

Dave400ex
03-20-2003, 12:59 PM
Might not make you feel better, but for all of us now looking at Carriers we know not to get Tapered.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-20-2003, 01:04 PM
So I better put my stocker back on? :ermm: :rolleyes:

Dave400ex
03-20-2003, 01:07 PM
If you've had the Tapered and haven't had any problems with it there is no reason not to run it, but some people just like the Double Row better. I remember reading Farr and Jones both run a Baldwin double row carrier...

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Yea, I haven't had any problems with it, and my buddy has ran one for a couple years now on the same bearings with no problems, so I don't feel bad about buying it, I would still get it if I had to do over, its a nice unit and does its job well.