PDA

View Full Version : Mastrocola: Road Dan's 450R @ Breezewood

450Racer
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
well, thanks to my good friends at Breezewood Proving Grounds, Dan let me take his 450r out. i'd also like to thank his g/f for her support! i can't believe i'm actually making this thread. it was an amazing time. i have pictures i'm attaching. i got their late Sunday as mostly everone was clearing out except for a great group of guys that helped duck tape me to the quad. my friend Jason came with me to ride a sport quad for his first time as well. he actually jumped on a banshee (that's a different story haha).

we duck taped my feet and ankles to the pegs. then we duck taped my legs around and under the seat several times. since my injury is in my chest, i have no abs at all for balance. the handlebars were my lifeline. taking corners was very very awkward since i can't feel my legs and butt to know which way i was going. however, i knew whenever my weight wasn't shifted right. i can't shift my weight like i used to when you enter a corner down on the nerfs to slide.

1st gear is all i got this weekend. the first lap consisted of going about 5mph (if i was lucky haha). then the last lap i was tapped out in 1st gear through some of the straights and giving some love in the berms. i can't jump however, i have bad back pain. even lifting the wheels up hurts to come down. but it's still the same awesome feeling ripping on a 450. just to put a helmet on again, put gloves on, pull the clutch in and hear a 450 made my dream come true. my injury was on June 18th so it has been nearly 11 months but i did it, i finally mounted back on.

it feels sooo good to be out there again. i'm sure some of you will see me done there putting around. i love our sport more than ever right now and i'm so appreciatave that i am able to ride. it's the best thing in the world. i feel so peacful inside knowing that even handicapped i can conquer what nearly killed me. it's nice to be able to say i can ride even still wheelchair bound. it's amazing. i'd just like to thank everyone that got me through everything and to where i am now. i'm driving a car, back to normal life for the most part. cruisin around with girls, riding, having fun and enjoying life. thanks to everybody. here are the pictures...

firefighterjosh
05-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Congrats Man! Sounds like you had a blast. I think dan needs to put a handshifter on that 450;)

450Racer
05-07-2007, 07:51 PM
here is the sequence in which i got on the bike

450Racer
05-07-2007, 07:53 PM
here we go. my computer is being slow. but please be patient. i'm uplodaing the pictures now.

troyleepred719
05-07-2007, 07:53 PM
its good to here u have faith, keep it up, u will ride soon

450Racer
05-07-2007, 07:57 PM
i love this pic

450Racer
05-07-2007, 08:01 PM
i believe Dan's g/f has some pictures of me on the track. i don't because my camera died. but here a couple more pics.

450Racer
05-07-2007, 08:03 PM
another

coolguy8769
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
looks GREAT! really wish i could'v been there.....

actually had a scare with my back again this weekend... i came back to the pits after my first practicesunday and my back was killin me right where i broke it, it went away thankfully

let me know when you head back up there

wvspeedfreak
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
That is awesome man!!

MX MaNiAc 06
05-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Im happy to see u on a quad!! Glad u enjoyed urself.

Dans quads lookin pretty sick also!

Toadz400
05-07-2007, 08:30 PM
That's so awesome that you were able to do that and had people willing to help you out with that. Great to see that you were able to get yourself up on the quad also! Keep that spirit up and you'll be racing around a track in no time!

JOEX
05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
That's so awesome that you were able to do that and had people willing to help you out with that. Great to see that you were able to get yourself up on the quad also! Keep that spirit up and you'll be racing around a track in no time!
Yep!:)

It's great to see people with that kind of determination and have others around with loads of support:cool:

Keep it up!:)

450Racer
05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
thanks everyone :) i can't wait to go back up and try second gear, get some better pics and some video :)

AtvMxRider
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Thats great!!!!:macho

reconmaster
05-07-2007, 08:54 PM
awesome to see anthony just be carefuly about the duct tape cause a friend of mine had a *** sore that was started from duct taping himself to a 110cc dirtbike
when i start getting on my quad just to be on the safe side i am putting ome padding on my nerf that way if i do slip i won't hit my are ont the foot pegs pm me for info on settin a quad up

450Racer
05-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by reconmaster
awesome to see anthony just be carefuly about the duct tape cause a friend of mine had a *** sore that was started from duct taping himself to a 110cc dirtbike
when i start getting on my quad just to be on the safe side i am putting ome padding on my nerf that way if i do slip i won't hit my are ont the foot pegs pm me for info on settin a quad up

hell yeah man. thanks. i'll give you a shout on aim.

moto04racing
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
sweet... thats awesome..

reconmaster
05-08-2007, 05:45 AM
i tried aim but i can't get it to work for me at all

underpowered
05-08-2007, 07:06 AM
that is awesome. great to see you back on a quad again.

jjames/jlawson
05-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Anthony I knew you would be back on.......Fantastic news
Keep on staying strong and never stop
Jackie and Jeremy Lawson

mxdad
05-08-2007, 07:31 AM
AWESOME!!!

Glad to hear you made it out and got to ride. Wish we could have been there. If we are there when you come back I will still video tape it for you and make you a dvd. I know we are planning on heading back out there on Saturday, May 19th. Let me know if you can make it out.

dan harris
05-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Anthony,

It was totally awesome seeing and talking with you on Sunday. You looked great and your incredible attitude was uplifting to everyone who met you.

It was too cool seeing you out there on a quad again, Total Inspiration. Although I was laid up on the couch while you were riding I was still able to see your smile from where I was sitting.

Feel free to come up and ride anytime you like. The pics we got aren't the greatest, but they do show you on the track. I was amazed at how many laps you were able to do. Did you end up getting sore? Hope to see you again soon.

dan harris
05-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Anthony tearin' it up !!

dan harris
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
....Back in the saddle again !

450Racer
05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
hey dan. thanks alot for the kind words and the pics! i think i took around 8 or 9 laps? honestly, i had a little arm pump in my left arm from working the clutch so much on the jumps and corners. but i wasn't tired a bit. pushing my chair for the last 11 months had made my endurance awesome. next time i want to try 2nd gear :). i started feeling comfortable on the last few laps. that was the best weekend i've had the whole year, absolutely incredible thanks to you and your g/f. i can't wait to come back up :)

honda400ex68b
05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
great news, maybe i will see you this summer at the proving grounds. glad to see you on a quad again.

250rAL
05-08-2007, 04:39 PM
That's great to see you get back on that horse. I remember reading back in the 80's about a guy that was paralyzed and raced superlites. Have you thought about finding a Honda Pilot to ride? I know it wouldn't be quite the same as a quad but they look really fun to rip on and they are all hand controlled.

450Racer
05-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by 250rAL
That's great to see you get back on that horse. I remember reading back in the 80's about a guy that was paralyzed and raced superlites. Have you thought about finding a Honda Pilot to ride? I know it wouldn't be quite the same as a quad but they look really fun to rip on and they are all hand controlled.

yeah. i'd love to race the Rhino's but i don't have money to build one. i wish i could. but hey, there's still nothing like riding and i have that back now so i'm happy :)