PDA

View Full Version : Back Brake Help

Lampy1978
05-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Hopefully someone out there can help me out, I'm obviously overlooking something.

I decided to replace my back brake pads of my LTZ-400 myself with some help from Clymers. After taking the old pads out, it tells me to grasp the caliper and push the piston back into the bore. It will not budge, even with help from a c-clamp. I tried to do the same thing with my other z-400 and it does the same thing.

Any suggestions on what else to do? I bled my back brake also to see if that would relieve any pressure, still no movement.

Thanks in advance.

guinness77
05-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Could be a couple of things that I can see....

1. Corrosion on the break piston. (I had this happen. Lots of salt in the sand and air around here.)

2. Time for a rebuild of the break caliper.

As for the piston NOT gong back in when you apply pressure to it....
1. Loosen the cap on the break fluid reservoir when you try to push it back in.
2. A plugged break line.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck!

Lampy1978
05-09-2007, 07:09 AM
I decided to just take the whole thing apart. Some of you guys may be surprised as to how much crud gets into the calipers. Turns out the piston ring and dust shield were corroded away and partially melted to the piston.

I took the whole thing apart and cleaned every little piece. I just need to go and get new rings and put it back together. I'll let you know how well it works once pieced back together.

Thanks,

Mike