PDA

View Full Version : YFZ shocks on Banshee a couple q:'s

86250rbanshee
05-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey huys, I am gettinga set of YFZ shocks stock, I might even be able to talkhim into aftermarket ones. They are meant to be installed on the OEM a-arms correct? It will just make the biek sit a bit higher? And secondally if I can get aftermarket shocks, would I also have to grind on them? Anyone got some pics too

djguestone
05-07-2007, 02:08 PM
The YFZ shocks are meant for a YFZ, that's why they're not meant for a Banshee. However you can modify them to fit stock Banshee A Arms & will sit a bit higher. If going with aftermarket shocks, simply get some made for the Banshee so you don't grind on anything. I have a pic below. My Yfz shocks on Quicksand A Arms.

86250rbanshee
05-07-2007, 02:24 PM
No I completely understand that YFZ shocks are menat for YFZ's but I know with some modifiing (grinding) they fit on shee fairly easily. I am getting them for nothing and I proably can get aftermarket for next to it also maybe thats why I was curious I know I can't afford new a-arms and or shocks meant specifically for the shee.
Just checking to make sure the a-arms didn't need to be +2's? for the shocks to work.

Thanks

djguestone
05-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Those YFZ's will work fine on stock a arms. Anything replacing stock banshee suspension will always be better. You'll love the ride. What aftermarket shocks are you talking about and what bike are they from?

86250rbanshee
05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm unsure of brand but I know they are for a YFZ also.,

x rider1291
05-07-2007, 08:23 PM
nice banshee DJ it looks nice...how do the yfz shocks treat you? how much better do they make the handling? because me and my dad were thinkin about buyin some ourselves

djguestone
05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Here's a better shot at the shocks. This is at my last Glamis trip, messing around the sand. They are so much better than the stocks. I couldn't beleive on the improvement. When riding on stocks, I would get tired way too fast on the trails as well as the dunes. My arms and body were taking a beating & wasn't really fun riding. I knew I had to upgrade quickly & I bought:
$185 - YFZ shocks
$200 - +2 G Force Axle
$385 - +2 +1 Quicksand A Arms
Now I ride harder & feel so smooth over the ruts and choppy dunes. Last time at Glamis I had it pinned on 5th thru the whoops. Felt great & everything held up well. I'll eventually have TCS revalve/respring all shocks with dual rates for a better ride but this will do & will work over stock anytime!!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/DjGuestOne/Glamis/Glamis136.jpg

trailwart
05-14-2007, 06:50 PM
there is a guy on banshee hq that is seling a conversion to do yfz arms and shocks on a shee, i think he said it makes the shee 2inches wider. might want to check on it

djguestone
05-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by trailwart
there is a guy on banshee hq that is seling a conversion to do yfz arms and shocks on a shee, i think he said it makes the shee 2inches wider. might want to check on it
I does sit 2" wider since those 450 a arms are wider. User name is Canadarider & think he sells them for $200-$250.

okbeast
05-17-2007, 03:56 PM
It's not too hard to convert them yourself and you can sometimes find a damn good deal on a whole package. Check out the HQ there's a thread there that explains it all.

CrackerboyLV
07-11-2007, 11:03 PM
You only need about $5 worth of brackets to convert them yourself. It can easily be done in a weekend. Save the money you would spend on aftermarket A arms and get some good shocks and tie rods.

I have had this setup since 2004 and it works great. The biggest drawback is not mounting the a-arms, but binding when the shocks are fully compressed. Aftermarket shocks seem to bind less than stock YFZ ones. I ended up building new upper mounts. (another $5)

photos (http://bikepics.com/pictures/262362/)