PDA

View Full Version : how big of a sprocket?

oldyeller
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Anyone know how many teeth I can go up on the front sprocket before I have to lengthen the chain?..Atv is an 04 eton viper with a stock 520 chain.

Livin4Real
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
you can usually squeeze in a tooth, depends on how far it's adjusted now. If it's the same chain that came on the bike in 04 you should really buy a new one anyway.

QuadJunkies
05-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
you can usually squeeze in a tooth, depends on how far it's adjusted now. If it's the same chain that came on the bike in 04 you should really buy a new one anyway.
agreed.

newnick
05-08-2007, 02:22 PM
If your going with new chain, which is highly recommended, and a new front sprocket I'd also drop down to a 25t rear sprocket.
There is someone parting out a 04 on miniatvs.com. Looks like some good deals.

i-zapp
05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
it's actually pretty simple really - each tooth is one link, right? (one pin to pin section). therefore if you add one tooth it would lenghten the chain one pitch - 1/2" on a 428, or 5/8" on a 520. the first digit on a chain is the pitch in 8ths of an inch. keep in mind that you shorten/lengthen chain in even increments of links (you cant remove just one link without using an offset masterlink).

so, since that chain length is distributed on both the top and bottom strands, whatever length you're adding is divided in half in terms of how far the axle moves. ex: adding one tooth = extra 5/8" of chain length = 5/16" movement of axle.

then you just have to look to see how much adjustment you have left in the swingarm slots.