PDA

View Full Version : 2004 yfz 450

zack57
05-06-2007, 08:33 PM
ok i got a qeustion i would like you guys to answer for me i bought this yfz 450 for a cheap price and it wont start like when u go to turn it over it sounds like its locking up what would that be a starter or sumthin bad in the engine?!? thanks for the help guys!

YFZ450Ridr
05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
most likely a dead or nearly dead battery. if you have a jump box or anything like that use that or buy a new battery. when my old battery went bad it would turn over mabye 2 or 3 times and then stop like it was locked up which is about what you described.

if you have no luck with the batteries give it an old fashioned pop start. put it in 4th gear and roll it down a hill or pull it behind a car. if it is indeed the battery or the starter it should fire right up with a pop start. you might actually try this method first.

zack57
05-07-2007, 04:33 PM
ok ill try that but i just got it ill talk to the guy i bought it from but do u think the clutch he thinks it mite?

Ride1Rob
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
If you have a charger, charge the battery to full charge and try and crank it or get a friends battery off of his bike and try to crank it. If it cranks then it's the battery being drained or going bad. If your battery cranks your friends bike but won't crank yours or his battery cranks his bike but won't crank yours don't push start it. That could mean something in your motor is binding up (Bearings, wristpin, etc...) Would be easier to fix if you pull the head and find out what it is rather than push starting it and getting it run only to have something to snap. I know this because it just happened to a friend of mine. Now he needs a completely rebuilt motor.

motoman343
05-24-2007, 08:23 AM
It could be the starter clutch. Its a one-way bering. ive had that happen on my past raptor.