PDA

View Full Version : Chain vibration

400excaleb
05-06-2007, 06:43 PM
i put a new chain on and when i ride it makes loud clicking noise as the chains goes around. then when i get on the throttle and move the bottom part of the chain closet to the ground vibrats really badand makes loud noises but only when im moving and give it gas. what can i do to fix this

DF400ex
05-07-2007, 09:09 AM
mine made that noise when it was either too loose or when the plastic chain guide fell off my swingarm. It might be obvious, but check to make sure you have the right sized chain for your sprockets and check your front sprocket for wear cuz it might be skipping on the chain.

400excaleb
05-07-2007, 10:53 AM
i guess it is the right size, its a 520x94 and i dont think it is to loose, i think it is more of to tight could that be a reason. and i check the chain guide and sproket and the chain roller is pretty worn could taht be it

Valhalla
05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
im having the same issue on my 400, the chain slider on the skid plate came off and its noisly as hell. im gonna pull the skidplate off today when i get home from work and just be really careful till i can get a new aftermarket on on it.

Eviltanker
05-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Check that your chain is not too tight when the quad sqats ( about 1/2 way through the suspension tavel) that is when the chain is tightest.

400excaleb
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
how much slack shuld u have in the chain when the suspension is compressed

Valhalla
05-08-2007, 03:18 PM
i usually run mine a little loose from whats given in the manual. there are many things that can go wrong from a chain thats too tight, but never any issues from one thats too loose.

Bill Fuller
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Valhalla
i usually run mine a little loose from whats given in the manual. there are many things that can go wrong from a chain thats too tight, but never any issues from one thats too loose. Other than it coming off and putting a hole in the case:rolleyes: I always find it best to replace sprockets at the same time as replacing the chain.

Valhalla
05-08-2007, 03:36 PM
been riding for 17 years so far and havent had it happen yet. but then again, i also keep my bikes in top notch condition and always replace things before they are worn to their limits.

Eviltanker
05-09-2007, 09:57 AM
WWith the suspension compressed, I keep about 3/4 of an inch of slack.

JBDIV
05-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I agree with Eviltanker. When adjusting your chain make sure you have it on level ground. Not on a lift with the rear sagging. Lots of people make that mistake. Also, depending on riding conditions, expect to readjust often. I generaly find that mine will loosen after a hard day of riding. Also, make sure you torqe the 4 adjustment bolts to specifications in the mannual. And a little blue locktight helps keep them from loosening. Good luck! :)