PDA

View Full Version : computer experts needed

coolex
05-06-2007, 05:51 PM
i have a hp computer and some times the fan will kick on real hard and loud when im using multple programs, so i took the side of the case of to let some heat out and the fan wont come on with the side cover off but we have 2 dogs that stur up dust and dog hair so i put it on ( i need a outerwears prefilter for my comp lol) but now that i put it back on the fan seems like its maxed out trying to cool it, so how do i find out how high my temp is in my computer i know the computers in my school there is a the on the bottom right of the screen and u click on it and the temp will come up like a heat guage in a car but it has a green zone a yellow zone and a red zone and in school theres is always green or yellow im guesing mine will be red, is there a program on hp computers that i can check the temp thanks srr for long post

coolex
05-06-2007, 06:43 PM
o and the software im runnign is XP does it have this temperature monituring system in it or does it have to be downloaded, and if i does have to be downloaded does anyone know of a good site

blasterandy
05-06-2007, 06:47 PM
i wouldn't worry about it if anything. prolly blow it out with an air duster can.

killerofcrows48
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
you do need to do something...

mine was over heating and i didnt know about it and it fried, definately sucked

Ralph
05-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Your computer should shut down/ and or beep automatically when its reached a dangerous temperature.

It could be one of two things, or a combination of both. Your Heat Sink is clogged with dust and doesn't allow it to pass air very well to dissipate the heat.

Your fans may also be worn out and just make more noise than they used to.

Quick Question, is it the fan on the motherboard, or is the fan that is in the power supply.

Both may need a good cleaning.

Worst case scenario. You may have to take off the CPU Heat sink and clean out the fins. This isn't very hard to do. One thing is that there is a special grease in between your heat sink and processor to help the heat transfer so u may need to go to a computer store and get a tube of it. I think its lithium something grease. Make sure the contacting areas are nice and clean.

It wouldn't hurt to do this either way. Computer maintenance isn't all just in the software.

A can of compressed air should do the trick for your power supply fan. Try to get it nice and clean.

I do this kind of thing every now and then because my computer can be pretty temperamental some times

SGA
05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Rather than pulling the CPU heatsink I just blow the fins/fan clean with compressed air, also I blow out the power supply.

Ralph
05-07-2007, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Rather than pulling the CPU heatsink I just blow the fins/fan clean with compressed air, also I blow out the power supply.

I used to do that too but it can be a mess.

I also like to put some new grease in between the heat sink and cpu after a year or so. Im no professional but it seems right to me.

---------

Also, you might beable to find a program to monitor your CPU temps along with some other things. Try google.

The program i have came with my motherboard.

<DRS>GPF
05-07-2007, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by SGA

agreed.. every couple of months or so, i blow out everywhere i can get to..(drive bays, behind the motherboard, etc..)

im not sure that i would recommend removal of the heatsink though, unless youre familiar doing such things..

Rulz
05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php