PDA

View Full Version : riding in trails and woods?

dan42684
05-06-2007, 03:22 PM
im thinking of getting a 450 havnt decided which one to get yet, but i was wondering if ltr's are decent in trails.

416exriden
05-06-2007, 05:30 PM
i like it in the trails alot b/c 1st gear is so ong u don't have to keep shifting. jmo

Legend_XL
05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
I spend a good part of my time in the woods. I would recommend upping your rear tires to 20" and the fronts to 21". Add some armor to the under side and drop the front sprocket to a 13 tooth and you should be good to go. They are a bit wider than most quads, but I have not had any problems getting through any trails yet.

Speed_MDS2
05-07-2007, 12:37 PM
If you ride tight stuff all the time then look elsewhere. If your trails are wide go for it. I can't lie, I have had to turn back several times because she was just a bit to wide for the trail. And now i have to inquire about the trail width before I go on the ride so I don't drive for 3 hours only to be stuck at the trail head.

Legend_XL
05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Speed_MDS2
If you ride tight stuff all the time then look elsewhere. If your trails are wide go for it. I can't lie, I have had to turn back several times because she was just a bit to wide for the trail. And now i have to inquire about the trail width before I go on the ride so I don't drive for 3 hours only to be stuck at the trail head.

I know there are a few mods you can do to skinny the LTR up a bit. If you do a search on here you can find what exactly you need to do. I know it involves parts from the ltz400. If you strictly ride trails it would be worth spending the extra coin to do them.

Flynbryan19
05-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Running Douglas shamrock 4/1 fronts will narrow it up "some" in the front and a set of Z400 hubs for the rear axle narrows it up quite a bit. If your gonna get serious with the LTR in the woods you really need to get a different(IE:shorter) set of a-arms.

dan42684
05-07-2007, 03:17 PM
most of the trails i ride are wide, so i guess i'll be ok, i'll get a set of bigger tires. thanks for all the info everyone.