PDA

View Full Version : Redirecting oil flow

DEAL
10-14-2002, 12:48 PM
I have my Ex apart right now and I'm wondering if it would be possible to possibly move the oil line thats going into the head cover , over towards the left more to get a little more oil on the cam/rocker arms.
I know this would require a little big of drilling and such , but could it work?

mxracer111
10-14-2002, 01:06 PM
there is no oil line going into the head cover. all oil passages are internal. i assume the "oil line" that you are talking about is the one that goes from the headcover to the top of the oil tank. that is an overflow or vent. there is however an aftermarket oil cooler that is sold by fourstroke tech that changes the internal oil passages and routes them through another external cooler and them dumps the oil directly onto the cam and rockers. i just bought one....and i will be installing it over the winter rebuild. hope this helps

Mxbubs
10-14-2002, 01:12 PM
Yeah, what he said. The oil doesnt come into that line, it goes out, out the top of the motor and back into the rezzy, how, dont ask me, I just work here. :D

DEAL
10-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Figures they had to design it all complicated so normal people can't work on it!!

Dudefire607
10-14-2002, 03:12 PM
The 300ex most definately has an external oil line going into the head, not so on the 400. I've never looked at the innerds of a 300ex head but if it's anything like the 400, moving the feed over won't get you much if anything. On the 400 the only place the oil has to go after reaching the head is out through the cam so it's getting all of the oil that's fed up to it.

DF...

Dudefire607
10-14-2002, 03:16 PM
BTW --- MXbubs, if you got oil feedin' out your vent tube you got issues :huh . The oil comes into the 400ex motor right by the oil pump as well as returns out the line right by the oil pump. Just makin' sure everyone is clear.

DF...

Mxbubs
10-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Got issues? Thats what I thougt at first.........one day my hose came off at on the head and oil would shoot out, and it ran down my head pipe and caught fire before I figured out what had happened........I made numerous phone calls to some experts, and they said that it is normal to have a pretty good flow coming out of the head...........and back into the oil rezzy...........I guess thats normal?

YZROOSTINYA
10-15-2002, 04:24 AM
it is a vent for the cam cover, you shouldn't see a flow but the oil vapors. if you have oil spueing out then there is something blocking the oil passages in your head/valve cover