PDA

View Full Version : Kryptonite Evo Lock-improved?

jrss13
05-06-2007, 05:40 AM
I am wondering if anyone has used one of these? After hearing of all the stolen quads, I really want to do anything I can to keep mine around. I obviously don't keep the key in it, I park a car in front of it in the garage, and I am going to start keeping the plug cap off, just as another deterent...but has anyone used this?

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=540505&nav=&sMMY=

Any thoughts are appreciated

Mechanixx
05-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Anything you can do to keep your quad is good but the best thing is get insurance on it that way if they do get it your not **** out of luck.Also make sure your homeowner insurance covers it when its parked at home.Plus with quad insurance you can cover yourself for medical bills so well worth the 22.00 dollars a month.

GPracer2500
05-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I have one. But I couldn't say it's any better than the older, original style that I also have.

jrss13
05-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info. Would you recommend picking one up? I have read a lot about how the older ones could be picked with a pen cap...however they changed to a flat key. I am just trying to figure out if its worth the $42.

GPracer2500
05-06-2007, 07:21 PM
The newer style keys ARE more secure. I have one flat key style and two barrel key style Krypotnites. I have ruined a bunch of pens trying to open the barrel locks. While I do think it is possible, I've never been able to get it to work.

Think about how you're going to lock it as well. I use one of the Kryptonite chains (it came with a flat key'd U-lock like the one you linked to) so I can lock stuff to a fixed object. Using a lock alone to keep something from rolling will help deter theft, but locking to something is even better. There are security anchor points you can install right into a cement floor.

I do think U-locks are better than regular pad locks (particularly the flat key'd Kryptonites). But if you're parking it in a garage (that is presumably covered under a homeowners insurance policy) then I don't know if I'd spend $40+ on a lock. You could probably get a normal pad lock and a few months of dedicated ATV insurance for that.

The flat key'd Kryptos are good locks. Do whatever makes you comfortable.

JOEX
05-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
But if you're parking it in a garage (that is presumably covered under a homeowners insurance policy) then I don't know if I'd spend $40+ on a lock. You could probably get a normal pad lock and a few months of dedicated ATV insurance for that.

The flat key'd Kryptos are good locks. Do whatever makes you comfortable.
From what i've read it's rare, if at all, that regular homeowners insurance covers atv's even if they are stored in the garage:(

Another key, so to speak:p , is to have multiple layers of security...

Have it in a locked garage or shed, chain it to an eye bolt in the floor or other immovable object. Put lock on the brake rotor, put other things infront of it etc...

This may like a hassle for some but it is an even more hassle for someone who wants your quad and a quick get away:)