PDA

View Full Version : Lubricants for Recon

thunderstick
05-06-2007, 05:37 AM
Hello to everyone.
I have recently purchased a 2000 Honda Recon and have a few lubricant questions concerning it. I do have a "Clymer" book, but a few of my questions are not definitively answered in it.

1. Engine
My Recon has a standard shift with an automatic clutch. Does the engine require a "wet clutch" compatible oil or will a 10w-40 (non-energy conserving) work? To be on the safe side I thought I might run the Shell Rotella T which supposedly has been used with good results in numerous four-strokes with wet clutches, but I would still like to know for sure. Currently I have in the Fuchs Silkolene ATV oil, but do not want to pay that much money at every oil change. I would rather use a good quality oil available from an auto-parts store if I can and avoid the ATV mark-up and change it more frequently.

2. Final Drive
The Clymer book says the final drive takes 3.4 oz. of oil. This does not seem right to me. I currently have 16 oz. in it to bring it up to around the level of the drive shaft. I do not see any fill level indicator plug on it either. What is the fill level or how many oz. should it take?
Also the Clymer book and the drive stamp says to use an 80 weight oil. I have never heard of an 80 weight oil--only 90 weight i.e. 80w-90. Is an 80w-90 the correct weight oil?

Thanks in advance for your help.

thunderstick
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
anybody home?