PDA

View Full Version : Engine knock?

forgiven
05-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I was pretty sure I was running rich so I put some 87 octane in and got some violent reaction when hitting the powerband...could that be engine knock? If so I would have thought in stock form it could handle 87 octane...HELP

2007DRX90

WOLFPACK
05-06-2007, 06:15 AM
If you thought you were running rich you should have gone the other way with the octane. Are you running the stock air filter? If so, replace it with one the breaths better. Even though your machine is stock it is a performance machine and needs a higher octane fuel.

Give us a call if you have any more problems. We are always glad to help!

Shane
(219) 226-3215

forgiven
05-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I went back and drained the tank and bowl last night, and then after Church today I put some premium in and had a couple little hiccups but overall it ran like it did before...whew.

It was my IMPRESSION that higher octane would richen it up slightly so I figured lowering would lean. I do understand the octance does provide other benefits like minimizing engine knock/ping etc.

Now I wonder when my KOSO head comes if 93 is going to be enough...I was told it was but now I wonder. I am pretty sure I can get 100 octane for 4 bucks a gallon so I may have to go 50/50 mix...hopefully not.

I am running a dual stage uni with no outerware yet...it is on the way. I was going to wait till I got the head and the other items...then go for fine tune on the jetting.

I will say at first I thought something was wrong with the tranny, but after slowly rolling throttle on and staying out of the powerband it was obviously not the case...Big relief it wasn't something serious...Going to St.Joes 17th-20th and have a club race next weekend.

Are you a DRR dealer now Wolfpack? If so I believe I know someone local looking for a DRR. Not to say I am displeased with Mark at www.miniquadsracing.com because he has been AWESOME to work with but my buddy wants to deal with someone...fairly local.