PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Shot?

stocktires
05-05-2007, 05:44 PM
With my double row ECATV carrier, The bearing can literally fall into the carrier. When its in the carrier, the bearing has a very very tiny amount of play in it between the race and the carrier. They are brand new bearings. I'm thinking the carrier is shot, should I get a new one or can I run this one for another year or so and not hurt anything?

1fst400
05-08-2007, 07:45 AM
only thing I see hapening is from the little bit of movement it trashes your carier the rest of the way.

May want to keep a stock set up ( cheep usually) on stand by for the day it decides to let go.

Aceman
05-08-2007, 11:12 PM
I'd say it's shot. If you really want to run one more set of bearings through it, I'd try coating the inside of the carrier where the bearings sit with a small amount of JB Weld and then sliding them into place. Let it fully dry before you install the axle. This should take the slop out. However, I don't know if you'll ever get the bearings back out again, so next time you need to replace your bearings figure on throwing your old carrier away.

stocktires
05-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
I'd say it's shot. If you really want to run one more set of bearings through it, I'd try coating the inside of the carrier where the bearings sit with a small amount of JB Weld and then sliding them into place. Let it fully dry before you install the axle. This should take the slop out. However, I don't know if you'll ever get the bearings back out again, so next time you need to replace your bearings figure on throwing your old carrier away.

That's what I will probably end up doing. I bought new bearings so I may as well use them instead of forking out $200 for a tapered carrier already. I don't know about the JB weld, the slop is minimal. I'm just so used to having to freeze bearings and them being a very tight fit.