PDA

View Full Version : Brake this?

Str8Wicked
10-14-2002, 09:16 AM
I just picked up some new steel briaded lines for my 400 front and rear. Has anyone installed these before, does anyone know where I can get directions, how long is the install, etc.

Let me know...

10-14-2002, 09:41 AM
it shouldnt be to hard to do but remember u have to rebleed ur brakes when done

10-14-2002, 10:38 AM
the rear line should be a piece of cake,,maybe 20 minutes top..the fronts will give you problems..you'll need to suck the fluid from the master cyclinder down to each front caliper. Filling up the master cylinder and pumping the fluid down will take about 3 days..:eek:

DMC mx400ex
10-14-2002, 01:40 PM
serious????wtf...damn mine will prob come tosay and i dont feel like pumping them 4 3 days,,,u know im lazy

TRX_Thumper
10-14-2002, 03:04 PM
haha i can change my front brake fluid and have it rebled under 10 minutes......

Str8Wicked
10-14-2002, 03:44 PM
Thumper... teach me master!

10-14-2002, 03:46 PM
yea teach us your secret.....

TRX_Thumper
10-14-2002, 06:24 PM
alright alright....i did this when i put a slave cylinder on the yoder....and when i put brakes on it 2....alright just keep the rezervor full with brake fluid so she doesnt go dry...alright start with the left front caliper....attach a clear hose to the bleed nipple put the other end of the hose in a bottle of some sort.....have a partner start pumping the brake lever...after they have pumped it 2 er 3 times open the bleed screw...but dont stop pumpin the lever...watch the fluid flow thru the hose....as soon as u get 3-4 inches or steady fluid with no bubbles tighten the bleeder screw....alright do the same for the other side...that will get the brakes perty good....alright im woods racer my brakes have 2 be the best...so i go even further than that....ok loosen the screws on the rezervor cover....just loosen and let the cap basically lay on top of it...alright pump the lever 12-15 times.....then take a tie down and strap it so the lever is pulled in all the way.....and the lever is as close to the grip as possible..leave it this way overnight...do it for 2 nights....after that 1 finger can easily lock the front tires....

Texan32
10-15-2002, 07:08 AM
When you change the brake lines, you WILL need some sort of preasure bleeder. Because the new lines have NO fluid in them, th master cylinder does not create enough preasure to push out the air trapped in the new lines. Thats what Rico was refering to. You can pump the lever ALL DAY and it will do nothing! (this is personal experience combined with input from fellow exriders...so i'm not BSing ya)

Now that we have corrected Obi-Wan. you have several options for bleeding the lines. JabberJaw has an idea that he posted in the FAQ forum. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9577
Or, you could try your local auto store to see of they have a hand operated preasure bleeder (the kind that hooks up to the bleeder nipple and vaccum sucks the air/fluid through the lines. Or, load up the quad and drive to a service center that works on brakes. They should deff. be able to preasure bleed the lines!

TRX_Thumper
10-15-2002, 08:23 AM
ye no **** there tex..........where do u think i got my idea...mines the same as jabbers except he puts the end of his hose back in the rezervor.......when i change fluid i take an air compressor and blow bout 75psi through the lines and bring all the fluid out...yes my method does work

Texan32
10-15-2002, 08:35 AM
hey thumper, before you get your panties in a bind, why don;t you read your last post. Nowhere in there does it say anything about how you pumped "75psi" of air to bleed your lines. What you DID explain is how to burp the last little bit of air bubbles out of the caliper. Check your posts before you start blasting...

10-15-2002, 08:47 AM
To clear things up,,,if you change your lines out,,attaching it to the master cylinder and trying to pump the fluid down WILL NOT WORK...you have to figure a way to get the fluid from the cylnder down to the calipers..:blah

Str8Wicked
10-15-2002, 08:55 AM
Hummm...... 2 or 3 days..

DMC mx400ex
10-15-2002, 03:50 PM
i probly did the wrong thing but i jsut bought a 40$ pump cause my steel braided brake lines should be here soon

400MXer
10-15-2002, 06:34 PM
I have +2 a arms and i got braided lines for +2 a arms and they seem really long. and they will look wierd when i attatch them to my upper a arm.......is your guys like this. how is yours attached. Pics pleaz

DMC mx400ex
10-15-2002, 06:37 PM
how did u install did u get one of these pumps?