PDA

View Full Version : lookin at the 125

okieRrider
05-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey everyone, I have been doing some reading and pokin around the net about the extreme 125 for my son. He is coming off of a lt80 and was wondering if this is the way I should go reliability wise. He does race some flat track races and with this bike he might do some mx races also. Out of the box how is this quad. Does it need major changes to be a reliable play/race type bike or will it be ok with some minor changes? When we play we mostly go to the dunes and ride wooded trails sometimes. My son is 8 now and can ride the lt80 very very good. The 80 has been a good bike but suspension wise it is very poor and he is starting to jump bigger, that is the main reason for the change and also to go to a 4 stroke. Thanks guys for any input

Louie
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, but my son dont race. He just turned nine and rides a yamaha raptor 80. The suspension is real bad on those minis. I'm going to get the baja 125 from costco. It's the same quad as the extreme typhoon but at half the price. On the costco page it says it's a manual tranny, but i think there automatic. I am mainly getting it for the suspension. Get with Texin he just got one for his son and says it's a pretty good quad with alot of upgrade options. Good Luck!!

FUTheman
05-07-2007, 06:58 AM
I got one about a month ago from Costco. Bought the upgrades subframe, steering collar, and engine/frame bracket and installed those. Went through the entire quad for loose nuts, alignment, everything. It's been on the MX track twice and no problems other than stiff shifter and a nut or two coming loose .

My son was riding on the mx track with a boy his age, 9, on a raptor 80. The boy'd dad just kept looking at the Baja and couldn't believe for $1300 that it was that much wider and had that much better suspenion than the raptor. Crazy to think Yamaha hasn't changed anything other than the plastic on that quad in over 20 years.

WMW-F4R
05-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Saw a Baja at the track this weekend, the motor is different than an Xtreme. It uses a crank mounted clutch which will not hold up to HP increases. The newest Xtremes are significantly better than the ones of the past, they worked a lot of the bugs out, especially in the shocks and chassis...it will work out of the box with a proper dealer prep and tune-up...I would think twice before saving the $500.

Livin4Real
05-09-2007, 01:39 AM
I would seriously look at the DRR 90 before commiting. I think you'll find it to be a much better out of the box option than the xtreme and much more easily upgraded. Ask around in the main forum for opinions.

FUTheman
05-09-2007, 06:19 AM
How can you tell the engine in the Baja is different than the Xtreme? I've seen them both and didn't see any difference. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right areas.

God'sGirl.MQ.20
05-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by WMW-F4R
Saw a Baja at the track this weekend, the motor is different than an Xtreme. It uses a crank mounted clutch which will not hold up to HP increases. The newest Xtremes are significantly better than the ones of the past, they worked a lot of the bugs out, especially in the shocks and chassis...it will work out of the box with a proper dealer prep and tune-up...I would think twice before saving the $500.

I agree, if you are going to race or ride hard the crank will not hold up under the torq, etc. Remember these are pit bike motors so Xtreme has figured out the problem and is in the process of correcting it.

How much did the other guy spend in upgrades? I'm not trying to disrespect but factor in all the extras. :)

The DRR are a good bikes Our daughter races against them. The question is do you want a 2 or 4 stroke. For the money you can't beat the Typhoon if you want to go with a 4 stroke.

The stock suspension is good but we have upgraded to Fox and now to Elka's.

markvette
05-11-2007, 10:20 PM
i thought i was the only one to notice the baja had a different motor. you can tell the difference by where the clutch adjusting nut is located at on the side case. the xtremes are towards the rear of the case, the baja is in the center like the 90cc motors.

Mark

TEXWS6
05-12-2007, 05:53 AM
i have a quad for you and i am located in OKC. give me a shout

405-203-5363

Kelly

#22blaster240
05-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Im from atwater and can the merced costco get the quads.

Originally posted by Louie
I'm in the same boat as you, but my son dont race. He just turned nine and rides a yamaha raptor 80. The suspension is real bad on those minis. I'm going to get the baja 125 from costco. It's the same quad as the extreme typhoon but at half the price. On the costco page it says it's a manual tranny, but i think there automatic. I am mainly getting it for the suspension. Get with Texin he just got one for his son and says it's a pretty good quad with alot of upgrade options. Good Luck!!

Louie
05-15-2007, 01:52 PM
You wont be able to get the baja storm at any california costco. I tried to order one and they could'nt process the order because of some california emissions issues. I'm going to get the extreme 125 at either american dreams cycles in Bakersfield, or Pacific offroad in morro Bay.

#22blaster240
05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Twisted powersports in Turlock has the extremes too.

Louie
05-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Twisted dont carry them anymore. Got to travel at least 2.5 hours to get to the closest dealer.

#22blaster240
05-15-2007, 07:52 PM
That sucks

richmond559
05-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Louie try kingsburg atv my neighbor said that they have them ...Good luck..also a business in visalia bnk motorsports..559734-2265..

Louie
05-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Good look'in out Richmond559!! I still cant get over that your only 3 days older than me. Saturday i will be as old as you are today.:D

FUTheman
05-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by markvette
i thought i was the only one to notice the baja had a different motor. you can tell the difference by where the clutch adjusting nut is located at on the side case. the xtremes are towards the rear of the case, the baja is in the center like the 90cc motors.

Mark

Mark, can you post a pic of the adjusting nut? I haven't adjusted a clutch on one of these yet, so I don't know where it is.

Thanks

markvette
05-18-2007, 03:13 PM
no pics but not hard to find. on the right hand case brake side. you should see a nut i thinks its a 13mm. in the middle is a stud with a screw driver head on it. to adjust clutch loosen nut just a little then turn the stud left or right, cant remember which way loosens or tightens the clutch, just have to try one way then the other. after adjusted tighten the nut back. when you get the clutch where you want it make sure you still have the ability to lift the shifter slightly and be out of gear for take offs. adjusting too far one way will take this away.

Mark

FUTheman
05-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks, Mark.