PDA

View Full Version : More Questions....Opinions Needed

u_want_some
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Alright some of you have seen my post before....I got ripped off on a 250R and now I am in the process of rebuilding it all together!!! Need a few opinions, I just removed the complete tranny from the cases and felt the bearings inside...All bearing rool fine but you can hear the ball turning/moving as the bearing spins. What do you think? How can you tell if your crank is bad or not? The crank was just replaced before the counterbalancer bearing failed on me....What do you think? And believe it or not...Everything else on the inside of the motor looks great!!! Also, is there any opinions on rebuilding this motor from top to bottom...As this is my first time, I am looking for any previous builders experience or knowledge...Thanks for you help in advance....

312R1
05-04-2007, 04:09 PM
If I was you I would replace ALL bearings and check the crank to see if it's in spec. This way when you put it all together you know that everything is new and in great condition.

-Steve

u_want_some
05-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey Steve...Hope your feeling better.....Case looks great, anyway I was looking for some of the tranny bearings online and cannot find them...What should I look under? Also, is there any paticular way of checking the crank...I know that it was just recently replaced before the balancer failed on me....Great to hear from you and thanks again

312R1
05-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by u_want_some
Hey Steve...Hope your feeling better.....Case looks great, anyway I was looking for some of the tranny bearings online and cannot find them...What should I look under? Also, is there any paticular way of checking the crank...I know that it was just recently replaced before the balancer failed on me....Great to hear from you and thanks again

Yeah I'm feeling alittle better...Thanks!

Here is where I buy all of my OEM parts from
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=1989&fveh=3747

When your ready to order call them up and ask for Kevin tell him that Steve Clegg sent you...He will hook you up.

-Steve

wilkin250r
05-05-2007, 01:59 PM
You can easily check the play in the rod end with a feeler guage, the manual will give you specs. But for the crank journals, you need some sensitive measuring equipment that most home-mechanics don't have. I'd suggest just taking it in to a shop somewhere, it shouldn't be expensive just to have them check it.

u_want_some
05-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Ok thanks for the info, but where can I locate a feeler guage?

wilkin250r
05-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Any automotive parts store. The most common use is for spark plug gapping.

If you ask someone at the store, make sure you get a proper blade-type feeler gauge, you don't want a wire-type spark plug gapper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeler_gauge

u_want_some
05-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Alright I went to the auto parts store to get a feeler guage and now I am really confused. In the service manual for the 250R it states that there is suppose to be a service limit of 1.0mm (0.04in) in the connecting rod bid end side clearance. Well where are u suppose to putthe feeler guage to check this clearance? Does in go in between the rod and washer or on the oppistie side of the washer? Also does it matter which side of the crank you measure, or both? Thx

CorvetteZ06
05-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 312R1
If I was you I would replace ALL bearings and check the crank to see if it's in spec. This way when you put it all together you know that everything is new and in great condition.

-Steve

i agree, go ahead and replace all bearings while ya got her apart. why go tear it open again for 1 bearing you didnt replace.