PDA

View Full Version : AMA banning quads to race????

oynot400
10-14-2002, 08:31 AM
Well we had the last race of the season in Waterloo on Sunday. I am sad to see it end, glad it is over, and can't wait until next season! :D
We were talking with the track promoter, discussing some ideas for next year. When he said that not to get in a big hurry because the AMA is considering banning quads from racing. :eek: :mad: Since the Waterloo track is not AMA we figured that no big deal we can still race there. He said at this time he can not say for sure that he will have quads either. The insurance to cover quads is sky rocketing and he does not know if he can afford it.
This got many of us very upset. I am looking at spending another $1000 to $2000 this winter to get mine ready to race next year. What is the use if there is no place to race?
Can the AMA really ban us? The quads are getting bigger each and every year. We figured that the entery fees from quads this weekend alone was close to $1500, and that is a slow weekend.
So I ask what can I / we do to keep this sport alive?
Personally I think that the insurance companies are becoming too powerful, pushing us and manufactors around. I got the renewal for my 2 quad in the mail. It cost more to insure 2 quads than a new $30,000 truck. :rolleyes:

cdalejef
10-14-2002, 08:33 AM
I doubt that will happen since the ATVA came on board for us!

10-14-2002, 08:39 AM
i hope that they never ban us. That would suck so bad

chavez
10-14-2002, 09:36 AM
this is why it is so important that you become members of the atva so that they can fight for the rights of racers and riders around the country 1 voice will not be heard as loud as a group will and as for the ama it doent sound right because they are also there for your rights

cdalejef
10-14-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by chavez
this is why it is so important that you become members of the atva so that they can fight for the rights of racers and riders around the country 1 voice will not be heard as loud as a group will and as for the ama it doent sound right because they are also there for your rights AMEN!!!

Tommy 17
10-14-2002, 09:57 AM
since we are talkin bout insurances here... did any of u hear about the new insurance that they make extreme people get... if u do any extreme sports they may make u buy extreme sports insurance and its a fortune... noones gonna be able to ride anymore bc its gonna cost u 150$ every time u go riding:(

Extremeracer167
10-14-2002, 10:07 AM
Did everyone here, they just said in WV ATVs are now a "Hazard to your Health"!!!! WTF is that all about!!?? Crap like that is what gives atvs a bad name. Either because some 8 yr old kid was riding a quad that was ENTIRELY too big, or some stupid *** went out, got drunk, and decided to ride!!!! its BULL****!! But yes, when i ahd to renew my AMA membership at the last GNCC, i signed up under the ATVA! So if any of u guys want to sign up to race any AMA races, dont sign up AMA, sign up ATVA. It is better fur us, and they are still tied together, so u can race AMA races!!

PS. sorry i get a little touchy about this subject. :D

10-14-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by 400ex21
since we are talkin bout insurances here... did any of u hear about the new insurance that they make extreme people get... if u do any extreme sports they may make u buy extreme sports insurance and its a fortune... noones gonna be able to ride anymore bc its gonna cost u 150$ every time u go riding:(

That sucks!!!!!! When would u have to buy this? At the track when u ride?

YLW400
10-14-2002, 10:09 AM
If they are a "hazard to your health" in WV, why can you ride them on the secondary roads there then?

AtvMxRider
10-14-2002, 10:12 AM
I doubt that it will happen. I agree though everyone should join the ATVA .

Extremeracer167
10-14-2002, 10:16 AM
Dont know man, thats what they said on the news last week in pittsburgh. SO if its true, i dont know if they would change that or not. They say 17 ppl have died on the so far this year. Which to me doesnt seem that high, but i guess it prob. is to the stupid ***** political ppl that have never rode an ATV they just wanna ban them, prob. because someone rode through there yard once

oynot400
10-14-2002, 10:18 AM
Just what does the track insurance cover? I mean if you crash and get hurt it doesn't cover any of your medical bill, it doesn't cover any broken parts. You have to sign a wavier to get in so the track promoter is not liable (sp?) if you break your neck. So what good is the track insurance? :confused:

redrider808
10-14-2002, 10:20 AM
ok this is the biggest bunch of bunk. here in michigan we had a promoter that has races at all the fairs . drop quads from the races.

he clamed the insurances were to high for him to let us race .
ok if you spend more tiime at the tracks you will see alot more bike riders getting hurt not just bumps and bruses blowing out knees and snaping femers.

i just dont see how us quad riders get hurt more this just lights me up the big time insurance people need to come to the track and see for there self .

man im just gona stop

10-14-2002, 10:30 AM
hmmm extreme sports insurance:rolleyes: BLOW ME

how will they know if i ride, football is more dangerous.....screw them i kill them all with a gun:eek: i doubt they will ban quads if they do, thn ill buy a crf 450 and start ridin bikes again

Doibugu2
10-14-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by #12nacs400ex
hmmm extreme sports insurance:rolleyes: BLOW ME

how will they know if i ride, football is more dangerous.....screw them i kill them all with a gun:eek: i doubt they will ban quads if they do, thn ill buy a crf 450 and start ridin bikes again

Now there is an intelligent response. And you wonder why they want to raise the rates for quad ins?

10-14-2002, 10:39 AM
nope thats not the reason, its a bunch of rednecks who get drinkin hop on thier buddies sportsman 700 with no helmet nail a tree and die, or daddys lil boy who takes his quad for a ride and rolls it:mad:

and extreme sports insurance:rolleyes: must i say it again...well they can BLOW ME:macho thats a crock of ****, i will shoot them with a gun or something

DarkStarRacing
10-14-2002, 10:43 AM
thats BS, if some tracks don't want to support quads then, boycott them, and find another track, theres no way quads will get banned, and all this talk about quads being more dangerous the dirtbikes is ridiculous....first off theres so many more dirtbikers then quads, and i see way more of them getting hurt..i hate to hear even the threat of quads getting banned but if we all stick together and provide a positive attitude about quad riding and racing then theres no way they can stop us. its the idiots who ride illegally and are wreckless on quads (note i ride illegally to and i know a lot of you guys do but im talking about the people who don't ride with helmets and are maniacs) and that give us a bad name and make them look dangerous...sorry about the venting :grr

chavez
10-14-2002, 10:45 AM
realy what is being said here is important and need to find its way to the right resources like the atva. guys racing is my hobby , sport and family fun i dont want anyone to take it from me i alone cant do it. let your voice be heard and join with others that feel the same way guns and violence will not get you a far as the stroke of a keyboard and a click of a mouse will. the tree hugging nature loving people need to realize the new time the new age work with us not agianst us for a better america if i do this right you can click on this link and see what people are doing http://www.off-road.com/atv/press/atva/atvattack.html

trx400ex
10-14-2002, 04:11 PM
that would really suck if they banned quads from racing, but i HIGHLY doubt they will in the next 20 years

10-14-2002, 05:04 PM
realy what is being said here is important and need to find its way to the right resources like the atva. guys racing is my hobby , sport and family fun i dont want anyone to take it from me i alone cant do it. let your voice be heard and join with others that feel the same way guns and violence will not get you a far as the stroke of a keyboard and a click of a mouse will. the tree hugging nature loving people need to realize the new time the new age work with us not agianst us for a better america if i do this right you can click on this link and see what people are doing http://www.off-road.com/atv/press/atva/atvattack.html
this is why it is so important that you become members of the atva so that they can fight for the rights of racers and riders around the country 1 voice will not be heard as loud as a group will and as for the ama it doent sound right because they are also there for your rights Chavez what has gotten into you you sound educated and determined on something. I am kinda proud of you. All jokeing aside you are speeking the truth. I agree with you 100%

Varmit57
10-14-2002, 07:39 PM
oynot400, I was at that race on Sunday and heard the same thing, I called a freind of mine that was racing in Lamoni, Iowa the same day and he said that they anounced that next year Quads won't be welcome there. I also heard that the Winterset, IA track is talking about dropping them for next year. This thursday night I will be attending our district board meeting. I would appriciate any documented facts that may help covince track owners that Quad Racing and Quad Racers are something that they should be a part of.

Thanks, chavez for the Link.

Any more Info would be appriciated!

tprender
10-14-2002, 08:13 PM
As far I know there is no difference in the insurance rates if you just run bikes only. This might be the excuse that the track owner is using so that he or maybe he dos't want to run quads for next year.

chavez
10-14-2002, 08:31 PM
im going to have to investigate this insurance stuff i dont understand if i get hurt at the track i have already signed to waivers giving up my right to sue and so forth and my health insurance picks up the bill i know a little about being sanctioned from the ama there is bonds and stuff to make sure there is a squad onsite hmmm guess im going to have to get edumicated.

10-14-2002, 11:35 PM
Piss on all those pencil pushing pu55ie politicians. I will ride quads all I want, and I never get hurt. I wear the proper equipment and I don't ride outside my limits. I wonder if these deaths are some Jethro Bodine fool on a 700 pound utility after he has had about 27 PBR's with his vittles and rolled it on a gravel road with no helmet on. I think we are all a little smarter than they give us credit for in Washington D.C.

Knight440
10-15-2002, 11:54 AM
I live up in the north east In MA i live about a mile from the RI line,,,, in that state they have band all off road use unless your on privet property,,, this is a state that lets street bike rides go with out a helmat and i am for ever reading about some guy getting his brians spatered across the road.....

:grr

Varmit57
10-17-2002, 11:05 PM
I just got back from our disrtict meeting and there was no talk about tracks that are banning quads, but the two track owners that I have heard the rumors about were not there.

I do think that I will be running for ATV CONGRESS DELEGATE, they said the the lady that is the rep now doesn't run many local races and doesn't come to many meetings. I've been to two in the past year and I'm not on the board.

I would encurage every one to go to atleast one of your district meetings and let your voice be heard. You can say what ever you want to a board member at the track but unless it is discussed at the meetings then you might as well have not said anything.

Nausty
10-17-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by oynot400
Well we had the last race of the season in Waterloo on Sunday. I am sad to see it end, glad it is over, and can't wait until next season! :D

Hey oynot I was racing up there on both saturday and sunday. What does your quad look like? I'm woundering if I saw you racing there. Were you in a or b class?

I'm surprised they would drop quads, seems like when I use to race my 80 up there the there was only one quad class. I hope they don't drop quads from the ama races:rolleyes: heck, that will be the year I turn 16:(

Hey varmit:) Have you decided to hit the triple yet? If so how did it go?

Varmit57
10-17-2002, 11:24 PM
I haven't hit it yet, it probably won't be this year, I had minor surgary on tueaday and my doctor said that I can't ride for 6 weeks. I do hope to work on it in the next few weeks and I'm thinking about putting in a second on right beside is going the other way..... We'll see.

oynot is the 11X quad that ran with me....

Later

oynot400
10-18-2002, 06:34 AM
Nausty,
I was in the B class with Varmit57. Red 400ex with Nac's graphics. I ended up 6th or last however you want to look at it. :(
Where were you? Did you see Brad Phillips do the triple? I did, as he lapped me. :rolleyes:

lil400exman
10-18-2002, 09:31 AM
Well we had the ho ho down of the season in Waterloo on Sunday. I am sad to see it end, glad it is over, and can't wait until next season! :D
We were talking with the pimp promoter, discussing some ideas for next year. When he said that not to get in a big hurry because the pimpin assocaitaon is considering banning ho hos from
doing what i do best. :eek: :mad: Since the Waterloo track is not pimp approved we figured that no big deal we can still pimp there. He said at this time he can not say for sure that he will have whores or pimps either. The insurance to cover pimps is sky rocketing and he does not know if he can afford it.
This got many of us very upset. I am looking at spending another $1000 to $2000 this winter to get mine ready to pimp next year. What is the use if there is no place to pimp?
Can the AMA really ban us? The pimp daddies are getting bigger each and every year. We figured that the entery fees from ho ho this weekend alone was close to $1500, and that is a slow weekend.
So I ask what can I / we do to keep this trade alive?
Personally I think that the insurance companies are becoming too powerful, pushing us and hoes around. I got the renewal for my pimpin permit in the mail. It cost more to insure 2 pimps than a new $30,000 truck. :rolleyes: say what?:huh

oynot400
10-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Is that what I said??? I got to quit drinking while I am on the computer! :devil :blah

Nausty
10-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Nausty,
I was in the B class with Varmit57. Red 400ex with Nac's graphics. I ended up 6th or last however you want to look at it. :(
Where were you? Did you see Brad Phillips do the triple? I did, as he lapped me. :rolleyes:

We were parked up by the dike next to the fence closest to the signup shed. I raced c class and did pretty good although I had a few mishaps with my tire coming off the bead once and me crashing. I won 2 of the 4 races and would of won 3 of 4 for sure if my tire wouldn't of blew then the other I ended up crashing on the main when I got greedy and decided to go for 1st when I should of just stayed back. It ended up being a fun time though even though my shock was blown.

Yeah I saw that guy on the 250r jumping the triple, I figured it would of taken a lot more speed then what it looked like to clear it.

Nausty
10-19-2002, 04:00 PM
hey joe, my dad was saying something about video taping somone in my race? Did you get me when I crashed?

Varmit57
10-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Yep I got both motos on Sunday.

Nausty
10-19-2002, 04:22 PM
so what did you think of the crash? What happened exactly, I don't remember hardly any of it. Did it look like a bad one?

oynot400
10-21-2002, 06:08 AM
Nausty,
What class were you running? Were you not you quad or your CR? :confused:

Nausty
10-21-2002, 06:42 AM
I was running c class. Its my first year racing and there is a ton of sandbaggers anyways but I want to win the main once before I move up. I raced my quad, yellow 400ex with no graphics.

Varmit57
10-21-2002, 07:02 PM
I havn't replayed the tape yet... I'll check it out and let you know.....

jaspurx
10-21-2002, 07:39 PM
dont feel bad i had my quad and trike before they started all this $h--!! anyhow i dont care what they say. i ride where i have always ridden , and they won`t stop me. but they may try to mess up other places. so far i ride mostly on private property. once the police in butler gave me a hard time for hauling my quad on a pick-up truck. i was going to my cousins house to ride. they told me i need insurance and proof or ownership to haul my quad on my truck. i told them i was not going to ride on public property and i`d like to see them try to bust me when i unload my quad at my cousins driveway. i told them they better get some help with that one. what i do on private property is MY business. i told them if they thought it was stolen i wanted to see the discription of what they were looking for because mine is a one-of-a-kind i built w/ a lotta honda parts.its unique and nobody has claim to it but me cause i built it. you never saw 8 cops scratch their ashes i mean heads so much!!!!anyway i`ll need all this $&!^ when i kick some stuff outa the local competition at the tracks next year. whatta crock!!

josh
10-21-2002, 10:06 PM
this is a bunch of bull, and yes, most of crashes are from inexperienced idiots that have no clue what they are doing or drunk ***** people that decide to go for a ride, and alot is young kids, last time i went to the dunes i saw a 9 year old that owned his own warrior and his dad had a raptor, and the dad wasn't riding much so this 70 pound kid was ridin a freakin 660r quad that is way to big for him and way too powerfull, and last time we went camping in a big group there was a kid riding a polaris 4002stroke around and the kid wasn't even big enough to reach the rear brake without leaning sideways, but he was still able to drive it and crash into a tree cuz it is an automatic. and i see kids that are like 8 years old on dadies banshee with there 6 year old sister on back flyin around camp and anoying everybody else while they aren't even wearing a helmet and dadie said "they can handle the quad" or how about "they don't need helmets or gear, they are riding off road, there is no law saying they can't do that"

then there are the guys who own a bunch of really hot one of a kind bikes in the dunes that party, get drunk and decide to try to hit a small dune in 5th gear and case it.

then there are those morons who ride around a crouded area flyin faster than anyone else cuz they are the mexicans in arizona that have to try to prove themselves the first time they jump on a bike, so they fly around camp and sh*t at 40mph with no shirt or helmet and no experience and run into what we call a "jumping cactus" or a saguarro or ocotillo cactus, those are the type of peeps that are ruining it for us:grr :grr :grr

ARG, this makes me so mad that those people sittin behind there nice desk and office frunature that prefer the same sex try to protest against us riding because more people are getting hurt.

And they have no idea what kind of people because those lawyer happy b*tches in cali try to sue people that own private land because they hurt themselves on their bike on somebody elses land and the people that own the land are supposedly reliable.
that is why there isn't much riding in california.

And to think that they try to protest and ban stuff, they should make small lawys like the "no drinking and driving" law, and they should actually inforce it, or a law that says you must wear a helmet if you are younger than 18 or 21. and if they have to maybe even make laws about the young kids riding dadies 660 or 650 or 350 twin 2stroke, stuff like that

If people try to vote against other peoples rights to ride a all terrain vehicle off road in a designated area then they should get off there freakin *****'s and go spectate what goes on out here in the desert, especially cuz i never ever see any patrol or cops rollin around lookin for people runnin over bushes or drinking and driving, sh*t like that

I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT STUFF THAT GOES ON OUT HERE IN THE DESERT BUT I THINK I AM MAKING THIS POST TO LONG FOR PEOPLE TO READ AND KEEP INTEREST, SO MAYBE IN A DAY OR TWO I WILL HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO SAY, LOL, o and anybody on the ATVA feel free to use quotes in this thread to help fight the banning protests and keep our sport alive and growing

josh

Varmit57
10-22-2002, 12:47 PM
I may not like the way some of you word your protest but I do agree with the points that you are tring to get across.

I would appreciate it if everyone made sure that they are a member of the ATVA insted of the AMA so to support our sport, and encurage your freinds to do the same.
The AMA is a great organization but they look after the intrest of the two wheelers only now. Sence the ATVA has started it is looking out for our intrests.

To touch on one of the many points that 'Josh' had mentioned, Here in the great state of Iowa a law was passed sometime last lear that takes all of the liability away from the owners when they open there land up for sporting activitys (hunting, fishing, snowmobling, ATVing, Etc.) Here is a Link (http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/2001/461C/) , you may want to check it out and forward it on to your Repesentitive. It sure makes it a lot easier for land owners to welcomme you if they know that they can't be held responcible for you..