PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiring...

Titanium
05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
So im tired of having to plug my xm radio in my cigarette lighter in my truck and i was wondering if there was any way i could hard wire it up to my fuse box or sumthing. Any suggestions?

NorCalRacer
05-04-2007, 12:37 PM
If you have empty spots in your fuse box you can put a blade crimp on the end of a wire and shove it in there, on side will be live. Make sure you have an inline fuse in the wire, and try to find an accessory spot on the box as some will come on with the ignition and some are always hot. If you use an always hot one the radio can drain your battery if left on. Good luck.

Titanium
05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
you think i can do it with out the inline fuse and just butcher up my cigarette lighter wire by cuttin the cigarette lighter end off and stripping the wires?

NorCalRacer
05-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
you think i can do it with out the inline fuse and just butcher up my cigarette lighter wire by cuttin the cigarette lighter end off and stripping the wires?

I'm sure you could. One is live and the other is ground, pretty simple. I'd check the size of the cigarette lighter fuse though and make sure it isn't too high, 10 amp fuse should be perfect.

Titanium
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Im not sure if i worded that right. What i mean is the part that goes in the cigarette lighter. And you cut the male end off so you have bare wires to mess with to put in my fuse box.

clutch22
05-04-2007, 12:50 PM
hi

NorCalRacer
05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh, I see.... Yes, that will work. One of the wires will be a ground and the other will go to the fuse box. If you can, open the cigarette lighter piece up, even if you have to break it, and see where the wires go. The gropund will be the one going to the side tabs and the live is centerd in the middle. I would get a fuse if you can, they're only three bucks at Napa for a inline kit, and it's cheaper than a new XM unit. Make sure the ground is good however and you probably won't have any issues. Good luck.

clutch22
05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
here's what I dont get.... Why would you take apart your cig lighter assembly, right now xm is pluged into it... its the same thing... now u dont gain anything because it's the same... now you just dont have a cig lighter for your phone charger.

Titanium
05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by clutch22
here's what I dont get.... Why would you take apart your cig lighter assembly, right now xm is pluged into it... its the same thing... now u dont gain anything because it's the same... now you just dont have a cig lighter for your phone charger.

u dont understand. im not choppin up the cigareete lighter i already told u my idea earlier. I didnt say anything about tearing up my cigarette lighter. Im butchering up my plugin that goes to the cigarette lighter. read before you post.

clutch22
05-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
u dont understand. im not choppin up the cigareete lighter i already told u my idea earlier. I didnt say anything about tearing up my cigarette lighter. Im butchering up my plugin that goes to the cigarette lighter. read before you post.

dont tell me to read before i post... i'll do what i want :devil:
and besides, i was talkin in general, cuz he said to tear out the cig lighter.