PDA

View Full Version : carb problems

bryan70546
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
hello everyone , well i got my new used 1999 ex440 and it a great quad but i have a problem i cant seem to fix on my own so maybe you guys can help me.the mods are 440 big bore kit ,rejetted witha uni filter ,the bike runs only on choke and will idle , but when i take it off of choke i have to to keep my thumb on the throttle or else it will die , i pulled the carb , cleaned it all up and cleaned all the jets but still nothing ,its driveable , but it back fires and wont idle the plug looked good also.any suggestions before i send to honda for a mech to look at , also i have been looking at the edlebrock carb also is it any good says its made for the 440 bigbore exs .please help. bryan

REDRIDDER
05-04-2007, 01:05 PM
did you touch the air screw yet,id try that first and i have the edelbrock carb i love it easy to change the needels no jets adjust in minutes the olny thing that sucks is you need to take the plastics off every time to get to the top of the carb to adjust or remove the needel,imo get the edelbrock and for get about the jetting problems.i just sent mine back to edelbrock to have it bore out to a ture 38x38mm and put a 21e needel in for my new bore size of a 426.good luck.

bryan70546
05-04-2007, 01:45 PM
no i dont even now where it is. bryan

GPracer2500
05-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Sounds like the pilot jet circuit is still clogged--there's some really tiny passages in that circuit.

Remove all the jets including the fuel screw and spray all passages with carb cleaner. Also, blow out all the passages with compressed air.

bryan70546
05-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by bryan70546
no i dont even now where it is. bryan

well i gave it another shot and still had the same problem. so i just went and ordered the edelbrock 440 carb.and while i was at it i got me some new tires and rims also.thanks for the help guys:eek2:

REDRIDDER
05-06-2007, 04:52 AM
glad to here,you let us know about your carb, keep in touch and let us know the outcome god luck, any problems you cant solve edelbrock will ,they have an excellent crew and will stay on the phone until your running at at its full potential i know.