PDA

View Full Version : Stock head/cylinder warped?

fireburns99
05-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Hey just a brief history here. A while back i had a head gasket fail due to a plugged spark arrestor, but it wasn't bad. It was just enought to cause some problems, but the engine was still running fairly strong. So when i got home from the trip i tore the engine apart, and found where the gasket had failed. I've since pulled the cylinder and changed all gaskets. But now it seems i have an air leak someone, because i used to run a 183 and now i'm up to a 194 and still chasing jetting.

Is it possible that the stock head or the cylinder could have been warped by running it with the leaking head gasket? Or does anyone have any experience with warping a head.

I run a cr250 gasket, with the hight temp gasket maker coated on both sides. It's always ran fine with this setup.

Thanks for all the help.

RichM1983
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Im not sure but since your exhaust being clogged caused the pressure in your cylinder to blow a gasket it may have caused a leek in one of your crank seals.

fireburns99
05-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Is there an easy way to test the crank seal with out taking the motor all the way down? Thanks for the reply rich. This leak has been driving me crazy.

RichM1983
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=265369&highlight=leak+down+test

Go there and do that. It will tell you if you if you have an air leak. Usually an air leak causes a lean condition. Are you getting a lean condition and thats why the jetting is needed changed? Thats the best way to do it. Someone else may have a better way to quickly figure it out.

fireburns99
05-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I've seen that thread before, in fact i think i even printed it out at one point. lol. And the lean condition is what i was talking about, but the lean condition only happens at full throttle. Normally the bike takes a 180 main, but now i'm at a 194 and it still seems to be cutting out like its lean. And the plug verifies this.

Its just ever sense the head gasket blew, all of these problems have been never ending. I'm tempted to send it to neil, and say f it. I don't have time to mess with it.

But i might build that tester this weekend, and test it. I've tried letting it idle and spraying choke cleaner (??? or something flammable) around the top end to make the idle surge, but it didn't do anytihng. So it probably is a crank seal.

Scott-300ex
05-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Leak down test if you thinik there's a leak.

And take off the head and gasket, and with a level or something PERFECTLY straight, run it across the head and cylinder and see if theres any space between the straight piece(level) and the head or jug.