PDA

View Full Version : To link or no-link?

havinnoj
05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm looking for a new suspension for my R. It is a dune only bike. 185lb rider. +6 swingarm

What are the benefits/disadvantages of a no-link shock?

How's the ride between the 2?

Whats the difference between a cr link and no link or are they the same thing?

What about a long travel no-link? Don't know much about 'em...what should I know?

Anybody know what spring rate I should have?

racerx573
05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
If it's a dune bike with a +6 swingarm, it won't really matter what kind of linkage you have.

Here is a run down of the linkage set ups.

No link - Can be used on a stock frame. Requires new swingarm and shock. Also can use a no link frame that is set up for that swingarm and shock.

CR Linkage - Used with a frame that is built for this linkage. Uses a '91 CR500 linkage. Requires frame, swingarm, shock, and linkage. Common frames are Laeger's, Walsh, and PRP.

Any of these set ups will use what is considered a "long travel" shock. Basically a longer shock with a laeger shock body and larger diameter shaft. This allows more fluid in the shock body reducing shock fade.

But with a +6 swingarm you probly won't be able to tell much difference because there is already so much leverage. These setups are most common and have a more of a noticeable difference in MX, XC, and desert racing, where a more conventional swingarm length is utilized.

my88r
05-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
If it's a dune bike with a +6 swingarm, it won't really matter what kind of linkage you have.

Here is a run down of the linkage set ups.

No link - Can be used on a stock frame. Requires new swingarm and shock. Also can use a no link frame that is set up for that swingarm and shock.

CR Linkage - Used with a frame that is built for this linkage. Uses a '91 CR500 linkage. Requires frame, swingarm, shock, and linkage. Common frames are Laeger's, Walsh, and PRP.

Any of these set ups will use what is considered a "long travel" shock. Basically a longer shock with a laeger shock body and larger diameter shaft. This allows more fluid in the shock body reducing shock fade.

But with a +6 swingarm you probly won't be able to tell much difference because there is already so much leverage. These setups are most common and have a more of a noticeable difference in MX, XC, and desert racing, where a more conventional swingarm length is utilized.