PDA

View Full Version : Took my Original 88 250R out for a shake down run

strnge
05-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Yesterday I took my 88 all original 250R out for a shake down run. I just got her a month or so ago. I went to Carnegie, which is right ourside of Livermore, Ca. She has not been riden in 7 years and is so original, she still has her original OTSHU tires on her.

She ran like a bat outa h*ll for a while. Then when ever I would let go of the gas while in 5th or 6th gear, it would shut off completely. I would try to start her, but she would only start with the choke wide open, then it would scream at high r.p.m.'s. I would cut the choke and then, boom it would shut off again.

I called my buddy who is a motorcycle mechanic and he told me the problem is with the small jet. It is what controls from idle to about half way, then the big jet kicks in and off you go! He told me to get a new small jet and also to check my plug to see if the quad is running lean or rich. The spark plug was oily black. He said it was running to rich.

So today I bought several sets of jets. Not a bad price either. $2 each. I took the carb off. (First time ever working an a 250R. I used to send mine out for service years ago.) I oppened the bottom (the bowl) and found now gunk in the bottom. Good sign. I replaced my 158 main jet with a 155 and replaced the small one with a stock sized one. I fired her right up on the second kick and test drover her in the park behind my house.

MAN WAS SHE RUNNING HARD. I was banging gears catching a small wheelie each time from 1st through 4th. I weight 250 , so I am not as light as I used to be. I will have to pull up on the bars to get her to lift that front up nice and high. I got it up to top speed and let go of the throttle and she should go right to idle:D

I guess I owe it all to my friend and the Service Manual I purchased for my 250R:D

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/michael-Anderson/DSC00643.jpg

GPracer2500
05-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Nice looking R ya got there.

mineralgrey01gt
05-03-2007, 10:04 PM
great looking 250r you have man!

strnge
05-03-2007, 10:12 PM
thanks!

norcalduner
05-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Is that the bike on craigslist owned by a guy from Brentwood?

strnge
05-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Nope I got it in Sebastopol, Ca. It is about 100 miles north of me here in the San Francisco Bay Area. (Hayward to be exact)

Slinky
05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
if i were you i'd pull the carb back off, strip it down and clean it up real good with some carb cleaner. That thing sat so long its probably got some lacker built up in it, even though you didnt see it in the bowl. Also did you drain the tank when you got it and put in new fuel? That R is definately sweet!

strnge
05-04-2007, 01:48 PM
I cleaned the carb out while I had it apart.

I also drained the fuel tank and flushed it with gas a couple of times before the shakedown run.

As syou can see in the photo, I have not even given her a bath since I've owned her.

Thanks for the compliments on my R.

Scott-300ex
05-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Yeh nice R, and run STABIL!!!!

Your friend seems kinda shady to me, jets are pilot and main, not small. and the small(pilot) doesn't run it on low idle, thats the accelorator pump, when you hit the gas it squirts fuel for the instant to give it a boost up to speed and then the main takes over.

AtvMxRider
05-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

Your friend seems kinda shady to me, jets are pilot and main, not small. and the small(pilot) doesn't run it on low idle, thats the accelorator pump, when you hit the gas it squirts fuel for the instant to give it a boost up to speed and then the main takes over.

Pilots are called small jets sometimes. Not all carbs have a accelorator pump.

250r4life
05-04-2007, 03:49 PM

:huh

:devil:

250r4life
05-04-2007, 03:51 PM

i guess thats why i cant do 6th gear wheelies...

strnge
05-04-2007, 06:31 PM
It could be that your not as skinny as you used to be too!?

CorvetteZ06
05-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Nice R man!! throw an exhaust and air filter in their, then rejet it, that way she can inhale and exhale better!! Very nice original 88 !!

strnge
05-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I just put a Uni Air Filter on. There is alot of dust riding around here.

I have an FMF pipe and I need to get a spark arested silencer. (I will get one in about a week or two.)

I bought several jets to change it when I put the exhaust on it and I also want to ride it in Lake Tahoe, CA. I will have to rejet for the high altitude.