PDA

View Full Version : Honda trx250 not runing right, please help

rebelbuggy
05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
okay well I have been fooling with this thing, I had it quit on me the other day and would not crank back up for nothing, i noticed the wires looked a little Riged up, so i took off the back plastic and found a wire that wasnt connected good at all, so i cut and sodered it to fix that and while at it I sanded and painted the fram and all and its looks so much better.
i just got a brand new battery for it, by the way what is the battery supposed to go in it? i got a 14BS and its to big, I made it work since I had gotten it ,put acid in it and chraged it but...its the wrong one, I am guessing it will work better being Bigger.

Anyhow, It keeps quiting on me, i can ride it sometimes for minutes at a time, rode it today after installed battery and it rode great. fast in the yard, got off sat down let it idle for a few, and then rode more then sat some more, maybe 10-15 minutes at the most. drove great.

Well it sat and I went out about 830 crunk it up and drove up the driveway then it died on me.
tryed to crank it and nothing. I choked it and it crunk and as soon as I let off the Choke, it quit.
so I got it to run by holding the choke cranking it then taking off and going fast( keeping the rpms up)

then it quit when i stoped and wouldnt crank, choking it finally it crunk and it would idle not on choke but when gave it gas it would try to die.( would have if I held down the gas)

but if I gave it Choke then gas it would run right.

is the fuel filter bad or....
Dont even know if it has one, none my others did, but sometimes it runs great and others not....

i was thinking maybe its when its getting hot it cutting off, and was going to ask why it would do that, but its cold tonight, well not cold but cool and it done it so now I am just lost, Please someone answer this thread and let me know.

By the way I just put a brand new air filter on it yesterday.

thanks

jokerkit
05-03-2007, 07:40 PM
It sounds like it is way lean or no fuel getting in. By choking you are just riching things up. Sometimes they won't run with out an air filter so I wonder if there is a big air leak somewhere? As far as wondering about a plugged fuel filter there is usually a fine screen in the pick up of the tank this could be check by disconecting the fuel line at the carb and turning the petcock open and see if you get good flow. One other thing I have experienced is I had bike that did similar stuff and i changed the spark plug (to the one in the manual called for) and never had another problem. Keep me posted.

jokerkit
05-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I would also check the spark when it stops working. Just to elimate that, since you mentioned about some wires. They sell a tool at the auto parts that makes it easy to check it.

rebelbuggy
05-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys, I kinda thought about the spark plug cause my 300 one day wouldnt even crank then put a new one in and it crunk right up, I just dont understand why it runs great like the first run of the day then messes up later. maybe it is the plug I will go and get a new one in the morning and change it.

if that doesnt change anything guess I will pull the tank and look at the lines and all, I could Probaly take the carb off and clean it, its a 85 and the outside is Nasty...a good cleaning might help things out, i do plan to keep it.

We will see with the plug first, i really dont want to pull the front
plastic and tank yet.

Is that silver thing on the frame(voltage regulator right?) Should it get hot, or warm? i never noticed if my 300 did or not but i touched this one and it was pretty warm...

rebelbuggy
05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
well put new plug in, wow the old one was well used...anyways seemed to be runing better, I ran it for a good 30 minutes pulled some limbs around the yard and pulled the utility trailer with it and all, then unhooked and started going up and down the yard fast a few times, then it started choking out kinda, it finally died and I had to Choke it to crank it back up, rev it up a few times and then it done fine for another 5 minutes or so, I dont understand....maybe it doesnt like me getting on it hard? I know its a utility one but my fathers TRX300 Fourtrax you can get on it and it never acts funny.

jokerkit
05-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Maybe there is rust or water in the fuel tank? Something is making it run lean. Did the old plug indicate a lean setting?

rebelbuggy
05-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by jokerkit
Maybe there is rust or water in the fuel tank? Something is making it run lean. Did the old plug indicate a lean setting?

it was just black.
I was just riding it and it started runing bad again, I was giving full throttle and it was tryinh to die out well I put it in N and was goign from low to full throttle and it keep trying to die, well I went to wide open throttle and it went PUFF.... it like back fired and when it did it PUFFED out a Big cloud of BLACK smoke....
maybe black from the muffler? Can the stock ones be cleaned out? new packing? if so I bet it needs it anyways and after it blew that smoke out now it eems like its runing great, even better then before.

could it have had something in it stoping it up keeping it from running good?

i one time had been moving these Big rocks from my house to my gfs house and on a trailer behind my blazer and after the day my blazer ran like crap had No power and i finalyl unhooked the trailer and went from my road to the next road getting all up on it Full throttle and all and finally I done it and it blew out a big PUFF of WHite smoke, after that it ran again like it was supposed to, that was about 2 yrs ago and its never happened again

So you think the sam type of thing with the 4 wheeler?