PDA

View Full Version : question for all LTR owners

quadman22
05-03-2007, 08:15 AM
i think im going to start looking at getting an LTR in the very near future. Im thinking i could get a better deal on an 06 but i have a few questions. What are the differences between the 06 and 07 and what reoccuring problems have been showing up on either year? is there anything i should worry about after i get one? thanks

-Dan

LTR450_#67
05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
The 06 and 07 are the same except for the factory stickers. The first really early batch of 06s had a frame recall and that has been resolved. I got probably the first LTR to hit floors in Iowa and I haven't had problem yet. A common problem that has happened to riders who ride hard is the shif pin breaking out of the cases. You can buy a relocator bracket to keep it from breaking though. You should check out LTR 450HQ.com (without the space between the R and the 4.) . there is a wealth of knowledge there.

05-04-2007, 05:34 AM
the guy before is right, but also the 07's are havins issued with the cases cracking, so going with an 06 would probably be a good idea until the get that worked out.

honda250xrider
05-04-2007, 06:12 AM
atp has seemed to narrowed down the problem to select engines, some 06 left over engines where put in the 07 frame you can look if you have a update engine but looking at the serial of the engine should be something like this 206-h that is what atp has said to be the first of the updated, said it is possible to have ealier but they have no seen any yet.

DVXracer
05-04-2007, 07:31 AM
I have a late modle 06 and i didnt have any problems before but i did have the tranny wine once but i turned it off, turned it back on and never heard it again also i heard the 07's have weak cases cause team yoshi uses 06 cases in there 07 race bikes .

quadman22
05-04-2007, 08:12 AM
thanks for all the info...keep it comin. I think im gettin an 07 blue and white this sunday. anything tips for a new owner? oil recomendations, filters, coolant,etc. ?

-Dan

LTR450_#67
05-04-2007, 10:18 AM
The deal with the cases cracking is only from have a very highly modded engine so it's really nothing to worry about unless you're putting Pro caliber engine in that is built to the hilt. Things to do are get rid of the stock airfilter cuz it'll tear after 1 or 2 cleanings. Get the cherrybomb from yoshimura, pull the airbox lid off and take the baffle out (you'll be surprised by what this cheap mod does.) . I have put in one of those stainless steel re-usable oil filters even though they are expensive but it pays for itself after about 10 oil changes. Once in a while you'll hear a whine in the tranny during your break-in riding. Don't worry about that, they all do it. When it happens just come to a stop and pull the clutch in and should be gone. So when you do your first oil change put an extra 200ml in and don't worry it won't hurt nothing. The extra oil makes the whining go away (once in a blue moon I hear it any more.) As for oil, I run Bel-rays "Thumper" 20W50 in mine with no problems what-so-ever, but you can run what you like.

What kind of riding are going to be doing?

jherbie28
05-04-2007, 11:01 AM
i heard that the 07 models have less compression. is this true?

LTR450_#67
05-04-2007, 11:46 AM
NO! That is not true.

DVXracer
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM
My reconmidation is buy a yoshi chbm, plug it in take out the spark arrestor and take off the air box lid a.s.a.p. it adds alot of horse power i did that to mine once they dropped it off, i never even rode it stock .

quadman22
05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
just bought my 07 LTR. love it but yes i do hear that tranny whine. glad to hear its nothing major. I will have a cherry bokb very soon. Overall im very impressed. might eventually get a lower sprocket to gain some bottom end. Does the cherry bomb add top, mid or bottom?

LTR450_#67
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
The cherry bomb wakes it up everywhere. You'll be amazed what the difference is from corked to unplugged, lid off and cherry bomb in.

cybervex
05-08-2007, 06:04 AM
How much louder is the LTR without the SA in it? Will it pass a sound test at a recreation area?

Does the cherry bomb work with only the airbox lid removed?

Speed_MDS2
05-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by cybervex
How much louder is the LTR without the SA in it? Will it pass a sound test at a recreation area?

Taking just the airbox lid off will gain nothing. It still has to shove air through that tiny exhaust outlet.

05Z400rdr
05-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by cybervex

It's a lot louder with the baffle out, but with that out, the lid off, and the cherry bomb, it is deffinately worth it :macho

and yeah, i think it should easily pass the db test

Landon