PDA

View Full Version : counterbalancer failure

norcalduner
05-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Can anyone tell me what their experience is when this thing failed and what damaged it caused?

What are the signs to look for during inspection?

And can you buy a new counterbalancer with the big bearing included?

C-LEIGH RACING
05-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Most times it destorys the cases from flopping all around.

Seen them enlarge the bearing hole on the clutch side from when the bearing locked up & spun the outter race.
Seen holes knocked in the crankcase from the balancer flopping around.

You might be the lucky one & just have some scaring on the case, but most are trashed after the balancer goes out.

Not 100% sure, but I think Honda still offers those balancers new & unless yours is realy beat up real bad enough not to use, the big bearing can be replaced. That bearing is a NTN 16007

Neil

u_want_some
05-03-2007, 08:26 AM
I had the same problem norcaldner......And it damaged my right side case pretty badly (time to replace it), the way that the left case looks as it might just be scratched up a little from the bearings scraping up against it. Anyway...I was told to make sure that you have all of the meatal flake that could possibly be on the inside of the motor...You dont want any of that in there during the rebuild. Also, I was wondering the same thing......... is there anything else that we should be looking for during the rebuild/takeapaprt? WE dont want to rebuild these motors and then realize that there is something else....Any help would be greatly appricated, Thanks in advance

norcalduner
05-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Well ..... mine has not failed yet but by the way I ride this beast I do not want it to go out while Im jamming :( . Is there any signs or sounds that I should look out for when its starting to fail or do I just keep replacing them bearings every so often?

Hey Neil, how do you replace the big bearing and small? Does it need to be sent out to a machine shop or can it be done without a press:confused:

u_want_some
05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
The only thing that I can think of sound wise....Is if you are feeling a roudy shaking, than your balance is off......Whe n it comes to replacing the big bearing it can be done with a 100Lb. press...no need to send it off to a machine shop.....Keep your eye out on Ebay...I got a new balancer for 3.00 plus shipping....

norcalduner
05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by u_want_some
The only thing that I can think of sound wise....Is if you are feeling a roudy shaking, than your balance is off......Whe n it comes to replacing the big bearing it can be done with a 100Lb. press...no need to send it off to a machine shop.....Keep your eye out on Ebay...I got a new balancer for 3.00 plus shipping....

Thanks for the encouraging words LOL. I will probably just replace the bearings whenever possible as a maintenance item like the clutch. Do you know how much both bearings cost?

C-LEIGH RACING
05-04-2007, 09:35 AM
The big bearing, that gear has to be pressed off the shaft for it to be replaced. That gear has to go back on in a certain place as well or else it will be out of balance even more. Just scribe a line across the end of the shaft & gear & then re-aline both pieces before you press it back together.

To get the gear off, use one of the cup shaped bearing pullers under the gear.

The small bearing in the carrier, you can use a inside bearing snatch puller. That bearings not a real tight fit in the bearing holder, but its tight enough that it wont just fall out.
I have had some that I just slapped the carrier down on my hand & the bearing fell out, but its not useally.

Hey though, far as how long you should run one of those balancers before replacing the bearings.
Best way to know what condition the bearing is in would be to pull the clutch cover & take a screwdriver & pry up on the gear to see how much play it has. If it has very much at all, REPLACE it.
Better safe than sorry.
Whats a little work replacing them & a 20.00 dollar bearing compaired to just about 300.00 dollar apiece new case halfs.
Lot cheaper to check & replace bearing for sure.
Neil

norcalduner
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks so much for all the info as it is truly appreciated :D

Aceman
05-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Good info Neil. I noticed my R seems to vibrate more than it should in the mid to upper RPM's. Since the bottom end has never been apart that's probably a good indicator that it's rebuild time.

Dave83
05-05-2007, 07:37 AM
I had ESR rebuild a couple for me.I think it was like 60.00 each parts/labor.

u_want_some
05-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Well if you are looking for a Counterbalancer bearing/unit than check Ebay, there are usually quite of few on their and you can definatly get it for less than 60 bucks...than just take it to your local machine shop and have them press off the bearing, Unless you want to take it to a custom bike shop.