PDA

View Full Version : KFX450R or LT-R450 ??

04TRX400EX
05-02-2007, 09:02 PM
I thought there was another thread on here about this but I looked and found nothing so I thought I would ask ...

I am a Honda guy and am waiting for the 450R to be EFI hopefully in '08 or '09. However, I am getting pretty used to my 400EX and would love something faster. I know I could do a bore and cam and all that but don't really want to get into the engine if it's not broken, you know? So I am considering a LTR of KFX450 as something better to hold me over for the next couple of years so that I don't keep putting money into my 400 trying to make it better and faster. I want something though that doesn't need much from the factory. I ride desert/XC mostly and sometimes go to the MX track. I've ridden my buddy's LTR and it is very fast and handles awesome on the track. What I don't like about the Suzuki is that it comes with 18's and 20's that I would have to immediately change to 20's and 21/22's for the desert, but I can get a LTR for a lot less than a KFX. Anyways, what are everyones' opinions? Any ideas? Thanks!

kendog57
05-03-2007, 06:57 AM
I have a ltr450 and yam450 and my friend has a kfx450.

At first when i got my ltr i hated it becuase there was no power at all in the stock form. So rode it for some time seeing my yami is down being rebuild but i ride mostly mx track only. But the bike handles great even with the lack of power. So i decided to put the cherry bomb on it and it help alot with just that. I almost decide to race the ltr insist but i love my yami. As for the kfx450 I rode one. The bars are pretty low for me and i like my bars super low so that i didn't like but you get fat bars that a plus. the reverse is smooth and work good got suck in some sand and pulled out with the ltr you have no bumper almost to get ahold of the grab it. The stock tires are ok somewhat of like the ones on the yami stock but i will tell you that the stock tires on the ltr are the best wearing tires i have had I going to buy another set. The motor on kfx starts up easy and smooth but needs more justa little more power like the rest but below the honda and yami on power. It need to be wider right away because it wants to tip coming into corners fast. In my eyes they are both good quads but if you plan to get into mx don't get the kfx you can get by with the ltr better. If the tire are the only things that you don't like because just change them. and money to you know. But i got the ltr and hated it at first but really like it now and more and more as i ride it.

woodsZrider
05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
since you stated that you ride mostly xc and desert, i would go with the kfx. you can still take it to the mx track and ride with your buddys, thats what i plan to do.
if you plan to mostly race mx,,,go with the ltr........unless you don't mind getting z400 hubs and 4-1 offset front rims...

ThePhantomRider
05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm getting a new 450 this year too, and I have ridden all but the Kawasaki and all had standard mods, intake, exhaust etc. and I would go LTR, Honda and Yamaha at this time because I prefer a wide stance since I run in the desert.

That said, I will be waiting a few more months as Can-Am and KTM should show what they got cookin, though the KTM will be a 525.

I'm like you, I had a 400ex with every mod outside of radical motor work and while it was with my suspension mods, the best handling quad I have ridden...50" wide and plush!! I just didn't want to get into the motor when I could just start with new!

TPR

soilworker
05-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Can-Am would be interesting to see. I was at the Bombardier dealer ride back in I think 2004 and they said they were working on a 450 racer even then. So by now they should easily have something new to release.

xwarriorx
05-05-2007, 08:56 AM
yea by the time that new honda with efi comes out there be ktm, polaris, and can am 450's.

450raider
05-11-2007, 11:20 AM
yeah 400ex, im in the same boat as yourself, even though im all honda i just cant wait around for them to get caught up on technologies (ill be too old to ride by then:D) and i had my heart set on getting an ltr but then i went to a dealer and the kfx aserted itself in my wishlist so i dont really have an opinion about either one so ill just test ride them both (or sit on em and rock back and fourth) and see which one feels better you might wanna try that.

just my thoughts

ThePhantomRider
05-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I've decided that I'll wait till a little later this year and put a DS450 in my garage and I still have not seen all it's goodies, but if they put that much effort into the frame, 36.9 LBS vs. 42.2 for Kawasaki, I can only imagine what the rest of the quad is like.

Light and powerful....perfect recipe for the desert and dunes!!:D

TPR

strubby
05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
I waited months for the KFX, but ended up getting the LTR anyways. Surprisingly I do a lot of trails, but go to the track enough that I liked the set up of the LTR. In the end, I'm sure I'll have nearly as much into the LTR I would have the KFX to get it where I want, but it's all good. I think you'll be happy with either one moving up from a 400ex, but feel them both out before you buy. I ended up just being more comfortable on the LTR.