PDA

View Full Version : will stock suspension be good for hard riding at 240 pounds?

Whitcher1928
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
will stock suspension be enough for a 240 pound rider on a 400ex or 450r? for hard trail riding and little jumping? if not what do you recomend?

REDRIDDER
05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm 6ft 238, my frame isn't gusseted and my shocks are stock and been pounding mine sense 2003 when i bought it new ,also the manual says its max rider weight is 240lbs anyway ,no worries I'm sure if you do hit sick jumps over and over it will eventually give.i would if possible buy stock 450r shocks their not Elka's but their more adjustable than the ex and have the reservoirs.

2002Honda400ex
05-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I hate 400ex stockers. I weight 180, and bottem them out on every jump. 450r ones are a little better, but not as good as people say (know from experience). I have works triple rate, and set em up for a 280 pound rider, just to be stiff.

atvrider23054
05-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 2002Honda400ex
I hate 400ex stockers. I weight 180, and bottem them out on every jump. 450r ones are a little better, but not as good as people say (know from experience). I have works triple rate, and set em up for a 280 pound rider, just to be stiff.

I dont know if I;m reading this right or not, but you had your shocks valved for 100lbs more than your weight? What kind of jumps are you hitting:confused: ??

REDRIDDER
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
only real trouble i have is bottoming out the front shocks no complaint from the rear though.

400exrider707
05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
400ex fronts are terrible. I am 190lbs and I use to bottom the front end out landing jumps perfectly on the landing.

svahle
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
The short answer is no. You will probably get along better on the 450r fronts than the 400ex. Atleast the 450r fronts are more adjustable, have rezzies, and are less likely to fade. The 450r shocks can also be revalved and sprung for your weight (talk to C&D Racing, GT Thunder, Derisi, etc.). I don't think the 400ex shocks can be reworked.

Will you bottom out on small jumps and trail riding? Maybe not. But you will not get the performance and handling you deserve.

As for affordable shocks, the Works are pretty good for the money. For a little more money TCS are very hard to beat. For even more money there are several very nice shocks (PEP, Axis, Elka, Ohlins, Fox, etc. etc.). With shocks you usually do get what you pay for. In other words, there is a noticeable difference in the more expensive shocks. Of course, even the most expensive shocks will not perform all that well if not set up for your a-arms, weight, riding ability, riding style, etc.)

atvrider23054
05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by svahle
The short answer is no. You will probably get along better on the 450r fronts than the 400ex. Atleast the 450r fronts are more adjustable, have rezzies, and are less likely to fade. The 450r shocks can also be revalved and sprung for your weight (talk to C&D Racing, GT Thunder, Derisi, etc.). I don't think the 400ex shocks can be reworked.

Will you bottom out on small jumps and trail riding? Maybe not. But you will not get the performance and handling you deserve.

As for affordable shocks, the Works are pretty good for the money. For a little more money TCS are very hard to beat. For even more money there are several very nice shocks (PEP, Axis, Elka, Ohlins, Fox, etc. etc.). With shocks you usually do get what you pay for. In other words, there is a noticeable difference in the more expensive shocks. Of course, even the most expensive shocks will not perform all that well if not set up for your a-arms, weight, riding ability, riding style, etc.)

Couldnt have explained it any better myself

ShiftFMX
05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
240lbs right here...and no problems! :devil:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/DSC02043.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/DSC02048.jpg

TYayo420
05-18-2007, 02:18 AM
I'm by far a mechanic or anything such, but the max weight for a ex is 240 someone said^^^? well I think personally, the max weight over a period of time it can hold that puts a strain on it is about 300 pounds, so in my opinion, i think they put 240 cuz at t 240lbs, it isnt maxing the weight out if that made any sence, iknow what i mean in my mind but can't type i tout right.

400exrider707
05-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by svahle

I agree with everything except I dont think TCS are any less expensive than the other shocks you listed, and I would put their performance above others mentioned.

kilgoja
05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
i weigh about 190 and the biggest jumps i've hit so far are ones where i get maybe 5ft off the ground....landing on flat ground ...not sloped like mx jumps....my stock ex shocks don't bottom out but u can tell the fronts are too stiff or something....the rear shock is just about as good as the 450r rear shock...no big problem with the rear for me...but the fronts could use some work....i mean i'm still riding them ...it's just not as comfortable as it could be on the landings...i will probably replace the front shocks somewhere down the line....u can go to your local atv shop and just push down on the rear grab bar or the front bumper of atv's and just tell which ones have better shocks on them....like the fronts on a z400 are probably as good as the 450r ...but the rear on the z400 seems like the fronts of the 400ex...just too bouncy or too much rebound or whatever....maybe one day down the line i'll have elka's on front and rear or something...lol...who knows...shocks are so expensive!

pro-rider46
05-22-2007, 05:46 PM
i way 216 (and only 14 years old) and i bottom out sometimes with the stock shocks but it also depends on the quality of the jump.

does any one no how to adjust the suspension on the stock 450r shocks, i probably know how but dont know for certain and dont feel like buying new shocks because i screwed something up.:)

stocktires
05-27-2007, 10:28 AM
If its a 400ex, Id re-valve the rear and get some works fronts.
If its a 450R, I'd re-valve front and rear.

That should be a world of difference!