PDA

View Full Version : Ninja 250R

Rider-trx_250ex
05-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I got my class c permit 2 months ago and now I want to get into a small sportbike suh as a ninja 250 or similar. Any opinions on these bikes? I would just be riding it back and forth to school and work. Or maybe one of those dual sport bikes for riding offroad? Anyway what do I need to do to get a class m permit? I'd like to get a permit soon so I can start practice riding one around my house with my dad.

whiteboycustom
05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
i looked at those little bikes long long ago, its rates about the same as a scooter, they have a speed of around 60, to me its just not the same as a regular street bike, start off with like a katana 600 if not that maybe a enduro, the street/dirt bikes are nice u can ride it to where u want to ride haha cant beat that

also for a motorcycle license its usally a writtin test and a riding test

research insurence too before u buy one

Toadz400
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I believe you need to have your license before you can get a Motorcycle permit, at least that's how it is here in Wisconsin. It's very easy to get the permit and the license. The permit is just a test that takes 5 minutes and after a small fee you have your motorcycle permit.

As for those smaller 250 bikes they are excellent for beginners and extremely cheap to find used. I would recommend starting out on one of them just to get the basics down then once you have more experience you can move up to the bigger bikes. Don't listen to anyone when they tell you to start out with a 600, you'll be in way over your head and just be putting yourself and other people in danger.

whiteboycustom
05-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
I'd like to get a permit soon so I can start practice riding one around my house with my dad.

he plans on learning with his dad so i say a 600 is just fine to learn on, maybe if he said i want one so i can go ride on my own and said i never rode one before i just want to get on it and go then maybe a 250 would work for him,

dont disrespect my opinion and tell others to shiot can what advice i give, they can take it for what its worth,

for all we know he could be 6'3" and that would be probly alittle bit to tall for that bike so ur advice puts him in danger, get what bike is comfortable for u and u feel comfortable on, if u want a 1000cc get it u sound responsible from wanting to learn with ur dad and all, it takes time and practice and alot of seat time but the hardest thing of all is talking ur mom into one hahaha

Regular_Joe
05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
its rates about the same as a scooter, they have a speed of around 60

Thats totally wrong. The 250 Ninja has a top speed of about 110mph. It has a parallel twin engine that puts out a lot more power that the 250 singles do. Its like comparing a 250ex to a 250r. Engine, chassis, etc are all very different when comparing it to a scooter or even the 250cc cruisers. Only the Honda Rebel has that type of engine and can do 70+ on the highway. All the other 250cc cruizers struggle over 60mph.

I used to own a 1998 250 Ninja. Cool little bike. Cheap, easy to work on, very reliable, and a ton of fun. The only bike I've had w/ a center stand. Man do I miss that. Getting one will make you a better rider in the long run for sure.

I would really not advise getting a 600cc sportbike as a first bike. Anyone that gets a bike that does 70mph in first gear at redline for a first bike is just BEGGING to get hurt.

I say all this w/ a lot of bike experience. I have had my motorcycle liscence for 15 yrs now and owned a ton of bikes.

Suzuki SV650
Suzuki LS650
Suzuki GZ250
Honda CBR 600cc F4i
Kawasaki 250 Ninja
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
Yamaha Virago 535
Kawasaki H2
Honda Twinstar

One thing you really want to think about is insurance. For something like a 600cc Supersport your probably looking at $1,000 - $2,000 a year easy considering your age. Generally State Farm and Farmers are the best companies that are the most biker freindly (at least $$$$ wise).

I would suggest the first thing you do is look into the MSF course. Its only one weekend but its great. It will provide you with a ton of good lessons and techniques. They take you from learning the clutch (which will probably be boring to you) to obstacle evasion tequniques where they have you hitting blocks of 2x4's and stuff. They do this other thing where you have to charge at the instructor and then emergency swerve left, right, or panic stop. You don't know what the instructor is gonna wave you to do until you are right up to him. Really good practice. Plus you get 10% off all your insurance for 3 yrs. They give you the bike to use too so if you crash no big deal for you. Another big thing, at least in NY, is they give you a mini test at the end. If you pass they mail you a certificate that you take to the DMV and it waives your road test. You just walk in, hand them that certificate, and they hand you your liscence.

Here in NY you can get a car or motorcycle or both. They are not connected in any way .....

suck my pipe
05-02-2007, 06:06 PM
BS i started on my Gsxr750 2 years later im fine and i do wheelies and all the goodies. Just because it has all the power dosent mean you have to use it all thats why it has a throatle instead of an off and on switch.

400exstud
05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by suck my pipe
BS i started on my Gsxr750 2 years later im fine and i do wheelies and all the goodies. Just because it has all the power dosent mean you have to use it all thats why it has a throatle instead of an off and on switch.

Prepair for the flamming. You brought it on yourself.

AtvMxRider
05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by suck my pipe

suck my pipe
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
What are you takling about, why would i say yah go ahead and waste your money on the suck ***** 250 so you can be board of it in a month or less its a waste just buy the bigger bike and grow into it. Youll be happy for years. I don't know what I said that would bring flaming apon my self, I'm not to state my opinion? Not interested in arguing over the internet I said my peace take it or leave it.

Rider-trx_250ex
05-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by whiteboycustom
it takes time and practice and alot of seat time but the hardest thing of all is talking ur mom into one hahaha

ohhhh ya, you sure said it..................lol

Rider-trx_250ex
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
Thats totally wrong. The 250 Ninja has a top speed of about 110mph. It has a parallel twin engine that puts out a lot more power that the 250 singles do. Its like comparing a 250ex to a 250r. Engine, chassis, etc are all very different when comparing it to a scooter or even the 250cc cruisers. Only the Honda Rebel has that type of engine and can do 70+ on the highway. All the other 250cc cruizers struggle over 60mph.

I used to own a 1998 250 Ninja. Cool little bike. Cheap, easy to work on, very reliable, and a ton of fun. The only bike I've had w/ a center stand. Man do I miss that. Getting one will make you a better rider in the long run for sure.

I would really not advise getting a 600cc sportbike as a first bike. Anyone that gets a bike that does 70mph in first gear at redline for a first bike is just BEGGING to get hurt.

I say all this w/ a lot of bike experience. I have had my motorcycle liscence for 15 yrs now and owned a ton of bikes.

Suzuki SV650
Suzuki LS650
Suzuki GZ250
Honda CBR 600cc F4i
Kawasaki 250 Ninja
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
Yamaha Virago 535
Kawasaki H2
Honda Twinstar

One thing you really want to think about is insurance. For something like a 600cc Supersport your probably looking at $1,000 - $2,000 a year easy considering your age. Generally State Farm and Farmers are the best companies that are the most biker freindly (at least $$$$ wise).

I would suggest the first thing you do is look into the MSF course. Its only one weekend but its great. It will provide you with a ton of good lessons and techniques. They take you from learning the clutch (which will probably be boring to you) to obstacle evasion tequniques where they have you hitting blocks of 2x4's and stuff. They do this other thing where you have to charge at the instructor and then emergency swerve left, right, or panic stop. You don't know what the instructor is gonna wave you to do until you are right up to him. Really good practice. Plus you get 10% off all your insurance for 3 yrs. They give you the bike to use too so if you crash no big deal for you. Another big thing, at least in NY, is they give you a mini test at the end. If you pass they mail you a certificate that you take to the DMV and it waives your road test. You just walk in, hand them that certificate, and they hand you your liscence.

Here in NY you can get a car or motorcycle or both. They are not connected in any way .....

I would definately take that course too, I mean it can't hurt me

GPracer2500
05-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Once upon a time my whole world centered around riding sportbikes. I rode on the street, I raced on the track, I met my girlfriend through riding, all my friends rode streetbikes, I moved across the country so I could ride year round, and on and on....

The point is I've had my share of experiences and known my share of riders. One thing I've learned is that the majority of riders will become better riders in less time if they start on small, "underpowered" bikes. Any idiot can go fast in a straight line and ride wheelies on a late model 100+hp sportbike. The guy that learns to go fast on a little bike that doesn't have big HP or top shelf chassis/suspension gets props from me. Learn how to ride wheelies on a 30hp or 50hp streetbike and you'll have some real skill.

Plenty of poeple start on big HP, leading edge technology bikes. Some of them even become great riders. But they would be EVEN BETTER had they gone through the experience of riding something along the lines of an EX250, EX500, HawkGT, CB-1, GS500, Bandit 400, or even an SV650.

My personal favorite starter sportbike is the Honda HawkGT. Mild engine (mine dyno'd at 49hp in street trim) but an awsome chassis. Looks great, great V-twin sound, and very reliable too. Before the SV came out they were tearing up tracks around the country.

wilkin250r
05-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Man, I have a 600cc inline 4, and I would give that thing up for a big fat cruiser any day. It wouldn't even need to be a Harley, I would settle for a Suzuki Boulevard.

I seek my adrenaline on the ski slopes. Or the sand and trails, ANYWHERE but the street. I'm not too manly to admit it, it's too dangerous for me.

I eat it on the slopes, I end up with a twisted ankle, maybe a broken leg. Provided I don't collide with somebody else, my ATV wrecks usually result in little more than a bruise, but broken bones are a distinct possibility.

I wreck a sportbike, I'm looking at ICU.

I get my adrenaline from pushing the envelope of my abilities, or the machine's abilities. On a quad, that doesn't need to be 100mph. Get some tight terrain, and 25mph can be dang fast and requires a tremendous amout of skill to maintain, but not life-threatening if something goes wrong. A low-side fall at 80mph toward a concrete barrier is life-threatening.

My motorcycle is for cruising, not adrenaline. I've got other places to find that.

whiteboycustom
05-03-2007, 07:13 AM
sv650 is a nice bike also, after acouple years bump up to the sv1000,

my first dirtbike was a cr250, i didnt buy a cr80 because i never had one before i adapt and overcame, i learned, thats what u do, be smart about it