PDA

View Full Version : Which crank to use.

rob-u/21
05-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I am currently rebuilding my 440. I will be putting a new crank since it is a '99 and it has been through a lot. My question is should I go with a stock unit or an aftermarket. I mainly use my 440 as a practice mx bike. I have a full Duncan 440 national kit with a 13-1 piston and a 450r carb. But I am also thinking of switching over to a 39mm FCR. What are the pros and cons of going with an after crack. Thanks.

Old Head
05-02-2007, 03:03 PM
I'd go with a hotrods crank hard welded and stronger than stock

rob-u/21
05-02-2007, 03:29 PM
what types of gains would I be looking at. Do I just need the crank, or do I need anyother mods? Thanks for the reply.

beeafirefighter
05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I just rebuilt my 416ex with a hot rod crank and it works great. anytime you split the case you should replace the crank bearings and the conterbalancer bearings or else you will regret it, that is unless you like splitting your case every week. also break it in maxima 10-40 for two oil changes, then swtich over to the new mobil 1 synthetic v-twin oil. did that in my bike greatest thing going. works sweet.

REDRIDDER
05-02-2007, 06:16 PM
yes go with a hot rod crank why? cause on the stock crankshaft the small end of the rod tends to stretch and the hot rods crank the rod is a heavy duty cause the rod end have a brass bushing i think its brass and small oil holes in the top of the rod to help ensure the the wrist pin stays lubricated.thats what happen to my 2003 400ex the small end of the rod wore out causing the rod end to be come oblonged and thats when i did the ciomplete rebuild.