PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 440 BB kit

EX LONERIDER
05-02-2007, 12:26 PM
soo im looking to do a 440 kit on my bike. currently it has everything stock except for exhaust, jetting, K&N, and an advance degree key.

i remember hearing that doing a 440 you'd wanna keep the advance key off or it would cause some cooling issues but not sure. all the 440 kits ive seen on ebay have a 11:1 piston kit minimal and with that i think keeping the bike cool at the dunes would be an issue. you tell me... this was a wiseco kit that i was looking into.

with that, is there certain things i should look out for when doing a 440 kit? certain brand i should stay away from? brand i should really look into?

id like to keep the stock carb on once i do the kit since it works pretty well the way it is. what kinda jetting am i looking to do once its in? im at sea level so if someone has this setup what kinda jetting are you runnning? or do i even change the jetting thats in it?

sorry for dropping so many questions but this is my first motor kit im doing and id like to get it done right the first time. thanks.

Ruby Soho
05-02-2007, 12:55 PM
with a 440, wiseco is probably the way to go. i have one. you will want to put in a cam too, so i would go hotcams stage 2 or 3. you pick. get the HD studs from GT thunder installed, the stock ones will pull out. trust me. get a HD cam chain, 11:1 is a good compression because you can run pump gas (i run 93). keep the timing key off because it will produce more heat than neccasary. yes you will have to change the jetting.

EX LONERIDER
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
sounds pretty good so far.

- wisco kit ok
- 11:1 ok
- better studs
- stage 2-3 cam
- HD t-chain
- advance key out

cool. now, while im there, does anyone port or do anything to the stock porting on these?? does it help? also, does the stock clutch do ok or should i look into stiffer springs???

Old Head
05-02-2007, 03:20 PM
with the 440 a bigger carb would help it out alot.

EX LONERIDER
05-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Old Head
with the 440 a bigger carb would help it out alot.

what size would you suggest? i like being able to go out at the dunes... take off from camp in the morning and not get back till dinner time type of ride. so something thats gonna suck alot of fuel through is worrysome for me.

QuadJunkies
05-02-2007, 11:55 PM
I suggest a 450r carb. Read th sticky on it in this section for more info.

HMF/MOTOZ
05-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Ace the stud kit.........you NEED to heli coil the cylinder. Its the threads in the aluminum cylinder that are weak, the studs (made by ARP) are just a bonus if you want to spend more coin which I did as well.

I went Wiseco BBK 12:1 gas ported by one of my crew there, stage 3 and ALL new valve train, CRF cam chain, new tensioner.

IF you can afford it get the Keihin FCR carb.

I cannot believe the difference between my old oil burning heap compared to now.

Ruby Soho
05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
heli coils dont last. thats the cheap way out. if you go HD studs, you drill and tap BIGGER and longer threads.

and yes porting it will do wonders for it