PDA

View Full Version : Pappy's neighbors?

parkers30
05-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Not really but it did make me think of Pappy for some reason :p

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/01/dueling.death.ap/index.html

Never heard of a duel in th modern word, but I guess you should never say never.

ATV Chic
05-02-2007, 08:41 AM
That's messed up!:eek2: that's the south for ya. they like to take the law into their own hands :scary:

Pappy
05-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Well, you can bet it wasnt me, there would have been no need to go retrieve a weapon....lol

on a serious side, people around here dont take kindly to being told what they can or cant do on their property. and they settled it. end of story as far as were concerned.

parkers30
05-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't think any ofus take that to well, especially if we are helping other people by doing it. Now we do tell our neighbors who ride on our property that they have to have helmets and such, but that is our property.

We did have a guy hunting our land at one point, kind of hard to chase off a guy with a loaded 12 guage and German Shepard, even though gun hunting in the city is illegal. :rolleyes:

Pappy
05-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by parkers30

We did have a guy hunting our land at one point, kind of hard to chase off a guy with a loaded 12 guage and German Shepard, even though gun hunting in the city is illegal. :rolleyes:

around here, they simply find his truck and burn it to the ground. if he has no truck, they burn his house down. simple justice works best...lol

PeasOnMyHead
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
yea i dalt that

underpowered
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
around here, they simply find his truck and burn it to the ground. if he has no truck, they burn his house down. simple justice works best...lol

yupp thats how it works in the counrty. piss someone off and they torch your property.

hell around here they steal your car if they like ya.

Ripitupfilms
05-02-2007, 10:21 AM
let someone burn my house down over me walking on their property. what gives the person the wright to do that schit

Pappy
05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
let someone burn my house down over me walking on their property. what gives the person the wright to do that schit

dont worry, for just trespassing they will start by killing your dog, you have time to decide if you wish to avoid them or confront them. funny how it works where no one hears you scream:o

fandl450r
05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
dont worry, for just trespassing they will start by killing your dog, you have time to decide if you wish to avoid them or confront them. funny how it works where no one hears you scream:o

I know how that goes ;)

gbcap
05-02-2007, 11:20 AM

stay off my property and you don't have to worry about it. haha.

Ripitupfilms
05-02-2007, 01:00 PM
so your saying if someone walks threw your property you gona go kill there dog or burn there house down..

gbcap
05-02-2007, 01:05 PM
so your saying if someone walks threw your property you gona go kill there dog or burn there house down..

if they had bad intentions for being there....sure....

its my property. i pay taxes on it. i must maintain it. you shouldn't be on it. PERIOD.

ATV Chic
05-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by gbcap
if they had bad intentions for being there....sure....

its my property. i pay taxes on it. i must maintain it. you shouldn't be on it. PERIOD.

In the county i used to live in in southwest virginia, if your property is posted for no trespassing u have the right to blow someone away if they step foot onto it. i always thought it was a reasonable concept :D

smr
05-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Dude you gotta think about where we live. Out here we all know our niebors and we know who's property we can get on and who's we can't. Funny how well it works.

Why you think crime is so low in our area of the country.

I keep a loaded mac 90 with a 30 round clip cause you never know when sombodies gonna come by that needs killin...:D

Ripitupfilms
05-02-2007, 02:29 PM
okey dokey

Toadz400
05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
okey dokey

You live in the city don't you?

Ripitupfilms
05-02-2007, 04:14 PM
no .and it wouldnt matter i would never think to shoot someone over tresspassing.

Aceman
05-02-2007, 04:40 PM
no .and it wouldnt matter i would never think to shoot someone over tresspassing.

I would. If I ever caught some perv looking in one of my windows watching somebody undress, that is the FIRST thought in my head. Maybe you'd just chase them away with a broom?

Ripitupfilms
05-02-2007, 05:06 PM
i dont even need to argue .. no one said if a person was lookin in the windows im talking about just walking on someones land. If some litte kids playing in the creek by your house are u gona shoot him. if some old man is looking for his dog that ran away and he drive up to your house to ask is u seen it u gona shoot him.. Do u make your own laws now

PeasOnMyHead
05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Haggard back woods rednecks are the only people that would think of killing someone over something so little like trespassing.. Rednecks think they can make their own rules. garentee half these people would kill someone they are just trying to act tough online.

Pappy
05-02-2007, 05:20 PM
84 chase lane
hedgesville wv

i am not part of the 1/2 of which you speak.

CRich[814]
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by PeasOnMyHead
garentee half these people would kill someone they are just trying to act tough online.

i wouldnt shoot someone. i would grab a bat, or anything and beat the hell out of someone if they ever touched my bike.

and only if we all had neighbor's that looked like pappy's.:devil:

Pappy
05-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by CRich[814]

and only if we all had neighbor's that looked like pappy's.:devil:

she left:p got herself a boob job and rolled out:eek: im sure her man will be gone shortly and if he torches the place like he says he will, i will be adding some land to casa de papster:p

my only other neighbor is a retired FBI agent and his wife is into something that i can not speak of. it does involve bad guys and such but she isnt a street level person. they have a cool collection of firearms, almost as cool as mine:devil:

the neighbor that learned to avoid me stays well on his land and all is well. i still let a burst go every once inawhile at 4 am just to let folks know that no victims live at this address:macho

CRich[814]
05-02-2007, 05:33 PM
if he torches the place like he says he will, i will be adding some land to casa de papster:p

hahah nice.

we actually just got a new gun last thursday to add to the collection.

speaking of guns, where plante400?

gbcap
05-02-2007, 05:36 PM
i dont even need to argue .. no one said if a person was lookin in the windows im talking about just walking on someones land. If some litte kids playing in the creek by your house are u gona shoot him. if some old man is looking for his dog that ran away and he drive up to your house to ask is u seen it u gona shoot him.. Do u make your own laws now

you can't read either can you...i said "bad intentions" not some kid playing in my creek...but at the same time mom and dad should teach them where they can and can't go. i would be a whole lot more receptive of kids just playing in my creek if they had talked to me with thier rents first. i know i didn't just go walking anywhere when i was a kid. with all the lawsuits these days...they could come on your property trip on a rock and sue ya cause you should have warned them it was there...umm...f u. don't come on my property without talking to me and this wouldn't be an issue.

Aceman
05-02-2007, 05:38 PM

it wouldnt matter i would never think to shoot someone over tresspassing.

Be careful how you word your sentences then. I didn't say I was going to shoot every trespasser, look at my post, but if the situation called for it, it could happen. You said never, I'll say it could happen.

CRich[814]
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
i just read the article, and thats some funny ****. atv's, west virginia, guns, sounds like pappy haha. who seriously leaves, gets guns, and duels?

trxwannbe
05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
ha my yard is just like the jungle in the song run through the jungle by the creedence clearwater revival you better run right on through or the devil will make sure you stay forever...unless of course you ask politely first and i give you permission in which case you should feel entirely safe strolling nonchalantly across

SGA
05-02-2007, 11:46 PM

Ive found most people in the country are pretty much straight up fair honest people and even the cranky ones will give you the benefit of doubt the first time youre on thier land.

You know you on my land?
No sir, I didnt, I was just cutting through.
Well it be best for you if you dont cut through here no more.
Sorry, i'll stay off of it.

Now, its up to you if you want to follow his advice or not.

Personally, i'd follow it. He gave a fair warning. Next time you might get a shotgun pointed in your general direction asking you to leave.:scary:

wilkin250r
05-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Indeed. Most folk outside city limits are perfectly willing to give a warning on the first offense, and let you go on your way.

Not too many are keen on giving TWO warnings.

It's not a bad system. The first warning usually isn't even stern, it's delivered rather politely. But if you're thick enough that you need two warnings, or so arrogant that you don't think the warning applies to you, then society just might be better off without you in the gene pool.

SGA
05-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Back to the original subject about the duel which by the way I read about yesterday and didnt think twice about it because it just kind of seemed like the right thing to do at the time and place to get the problem settled plus its been a long time since anyone had a good old fashioned duel to the death with pistols.

I think fist fighting it out would have been a better choice though. Gee ya think?
Anyway I dont think the police report said if large quanitys of beer had been consumed by both partys but i'm willing to bet its yes.

"Witnesses told police that Simpson was disturbed by the roaring sound of an ATV that Martin repeatedly drove past Simpson's house while helping a woman move."

When I read that it all fell into place. I thought yep, I shoulda known a woman was involved.

mitch91
05-03-2007, 05:51 AM
If i walked on someones property and they burnt down my parents house, id shoot them and there kids.

mxdad
05-03-2007, 05:53 AM
84 chase lane
hedgesville wv

i am not part of the 1/2 of which you speak.

Pappy, you crack me up!!! :D :D :D :D

I don't think these yankee boys believe you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

See you Saturday @ Breezewood!!!

Pappy
05-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by mitch91
If i walked on someones property and they burnt down my parents house, id shoot them and there kids.

do you children understand the concept of hypothetical speech? no one over 21 here stated that just for walking on someones property should result in death. they and i were refering to a set of circumstances that would lead to an actual tresspassing issue not a simple violation of ones property lines being crossed.

and believe what you will, i do know people that meet you at gun point if they do not know you or recognize you, and I am one of them.

best advice, dont start anything your not prepared to back up 110% without further thought. for right or wrong, thats how life is sometimes. and a threat around here is cause for a war. you threaten to do something you might as well do it because the person you threatened will take it as such.

mitch91
05-03-2007, 06:09 AM
do you children understand the concept of hypothetical speech? no one over 21 here stated that just for walking on someones property should result in death. they and i were refering to a set of circumstances that would lead to an actual tresspassing issue not a simple violation of ones property lines being crossed.

and believe what you will, i do know people that meet you at gun point if they do not know you or recognize you, and I am one of them.

best advice, dont start anything your not prepared to back up 110% without further thought. for right or wrong, thats how life is sometimes. and a threat around here is cause for a war. you threaten to do something you might as well do it because the person you threatened will take it as such.

Id back my self up 110 percent.

Is this how The us is? Ive never been there, here youd probaly get beaten with a bat if the sitaution did not feel right to the land owner. Is the us tougher the Canada, my old man has pointed guns at heads of people who drive past or look suspicous as dirtbike /quad thevies, but thats a big problem here.

smr
05-03-2007, 06:44 AM

Pappy...there's no use, some of these people just don't get it. I am the third generation to own our farm. My grandparents worked hard to get it started and I work hard to keep it. I know all my neighbors (most of them is kin) and they will all come and and ask anytime they want to ride, hunt or fish. They know it's all cool. But you let a stranger step foot on my place and I am usually not the only one to meet them. If their intentions are good then they pass through maybe even stopping at the house for a cold brew. But if they are destroying crops or chasing cows then we have a problem....I will give a warning the first time.

Quad18star
05-03-2007, 07:09 AM
When I read the article I just have to ask myself ..... Is the sound of an ATV "roaring" up and down the street worth a life sentence in jail ???

Is someone stealing your $8000 ATV worth 60 years in jail ??

I don't know about you guys , but I'd rather enjoy life freely rather than spend the rest of my life starring at the concrete walls of an 8x10 jail cell . An $8000 ATV can be recovered or replaced ..... 60 years of memories of your kids growing up , your grand kids growing up , retirement , etc , can't be .

johnsls
05-03-2007, 07:30 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think some of you out of towners just don't get it.

Not everywhere in the US is this acceptable (certainly not in NJ)

BUT in some areas of the coutry it just might be. Before you question or tell them they are wrong why don't you just realize that some places are different.

Just because your in the US doesn't mean the local laws are the same everywhere.

If you don't believe them,, go for a visit!! :devil:

I hate it when people act so ignorant to the ways or livelyhood of others. Get over it and if you don't like it,, don't ever enter their territory.
:D

Oh and to add to this.. I'd rather live in an area where you know your neighbors and you understand what is and is not acceptable.
And the consequences that come along with it.
Here you don't know who to trust even when you think you know them, you don't.

hunterdasch
05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I agree with the fact that if you ask someone not to come on your land and they do again, you can shoot them... that sounds ok to me...

I have been the guy in the woods on the trails that belong to ?, only to have ? come meet me and it ended up in me being able to ride if I call in advance and wear gear.... although... he rarely picks up the phone... so I rarely go there... but that is fine with me...

Should I bring him some beer?

xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
05-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Although Ohio isnt really considered one of the more "hick" states I gurantee Imma from the boondocks, born and raised. I as well was taught if there is someone on your property that you see and apparently they are trying to avoid you, you meet them @ gun point. We Perry Countians dont take kindly to theft.

At one point in time since I have actually moved further back into the woods, there has been one attempt @ theft and I think he told his buddies what was up. He was trying to get into our garage and I could hear my dogs barking. Walked straight upstairs grabbed the 25.06 and put the crosshairs about a foot to the left of his head and pulled the trigger (actually it was prolly closer to 2 foot, I didnt want him to jerk and then me take out the back of his skull.) He took off like a bat out of hell and I waslked straight over and let our 2 Blood Hounds loose.

Never another person sneaking around that I have seen that is for damn sure.

jc250r31
05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Is someone stealing your $8000 ATV worth 60 years in jail ??

Is stealing my quad worth receiving a round out of my Kimber??

It is totally legal to shoot if someone is merely breaking into your vehicle that is Outside in your driveway not in your locked garage(which would be breaking and entering your home). In Louisiana that is.

Pappy
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by jc250r31

It is totally legal to shoot if someone is merely breaking into your vehicle that is Outside in your driveway not in your locked garage(which would be breaking and entering your home). In Louisiana that is.

where i grew up in maryland, you were legally bound to retreat to the safest part inside your home before defending yourself. so basically, if you caught someone breaking in, you had no legal right to confront them to the point of using deadly force, unless you could prove you had retreated. basically you are in the wrong for defending the rights on your property.

in west virginia, it is your property line, and there is no retreat laws. so if i am confronted inside my property line and feel that my life is endangered, i am OBLIGATED to take action.

now where i work is city. i am legally permitted to carry concealed inside our building and i can use deadly force if needed to protect myself, my employees etc. of course, in any case you open yourself up to litigation if you take such action so everyone knows or is trained to understand when and where deadly force can be used and to make sure the SOB is dead, we will deal with a family member and lawsuit but the criminal wont be taking the stand. this is the way it is here at home. if anyone of my family members feels the need to exert deadly force, they are to execute that force with the sole intent to kill the attacker. this may seem extreme, but if deadly force is needed, it should be deadly.

as for gregs question about the atv and a 60 year sentence. the old adage "i would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6" comes to mind, however each situation is different and therefore no blanket "what if" can be set. if i caught someone stealing my property, they would be confronted with the immediate possibility of deadly force(usually this is enough to end the criminal intent and you wait for the police) if the criminal ran off then my answer would be no, no need for deadly force. if the criminal grabbed a shovel once confronted, he would see what 230 grains of lead feels like as 2 rounds impacted his chest. my life is worth living, and no criminal will take that from me whether it be the next 40 years in a cell or the next 40 years at my home. i will go to my grave knowing i am righteous in my decision.

ATV Chic
05-03-2007, 12:50 PM
where i grew up in maryland, you were legally bound to retreat to the safest part inside your home before defending yourself. so basically, if you caught someone breaking in, you had no legal right to confront them to the point of using deadly force, unless you could prove you had retreated. basically you are in the wrong for defending the rights on your property.

in west virginia, it is your property line, and there is no retreat laws. so if i am confronted inside my property line and feel that my life is endangered, i am OBLIGATED to take action.

now where i work is city. i am legally permitted to carry concealed inside our building and i can use deadly force if needed to protect myself, my employees etc. of course, in any case you open yourself up to litigation if you take such action so everyone knows or is trained to understand when and where deadly force can be used and to make sure the SOB is dead, we will deal with a family member and lawsuit but the criminal wont be taking the stand. this is the way it is here at home. if anyone of my family members feels the need to exert deadly force, they are to execute that force with the sole intent to kill the attacker. this may seem extreme, but if deadly force is needed, it should be deadly.

as for gregs question about the atv and a 60 year sentence. the old adage "i would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6" comes to mind, however each situation is different and therefore no blanket "what if" can be set. if i caught someone stealing my property, they would be confronted with the immediate possibility of deadly force(usually this is enough to end the criminal intent and you wait for the police) if the criminal ran off then my answer would be no, no need for deadly force. if the criminal grabbed a shovel once confronted, he would see what 230 grains of lead feels like as 2 rounds impacted his chest. my life is worth living, and no criminal will take that from me whether it be the next 40 years in a cell or the next 40 years at my home. i will go to my grave knowing i am righteous in my decision.

AMEN

Quad18star
05-03-2007, 01:23 PM

See that's the difference ... if the guy grabbed a shovel and posed a danger to your well being then you could shoot him .

But what if this same guy in the middle of the afternoon , walked up to your truck in your driveway , and planned on stealing it and you caught him . You spot the guy , confront him and he just continues , but poses NO physical threat towards you .

Would you still shoot him ?? ( Most of us would probably kick the guy in the teeth , myself included, but let's just say you're not the type to engage in a fight with someone) .

If you were to shoot the guy and go before the courts , what do you think the verdict would be ? There's a 99% chance the courts would say " We're sorry Mr Hill , but you could have taken different actions , your truck could have been replaced if he managed to steal it , and here's your life sentence for pre-meditated murder "

I also have another question for SMR .... if someone chases your cowns or runs through your crops ... you give them a warning . The next day the same guys comes back and does the same thing .... you're going to shoot him ??

Some women get beaten everyday , and every once in a while , one of them grabs a gun and shoots their husband ( or boyfriend) because they've had enough . What do they get for doing it ?? 4 consecutive life sentences !!!!!

I don't think that a crop destruction, cow chasing , stealing or trespassing would hold up in court to justify murder .

But hey that's just my opinion . ;) :blah:

Ripitupfilms
05-03-2007, 01:33 PM
See that's the difference ... if the guy grabbed a shovel and posed a danger to your well being then you could shoot him .

But what if this same guy in the middle of the afternoon , walked up to your truck in your driveway , and planned on stealing it and you caught him . You spot the guy , confront him and he just continues , but poses NO physical threat towards you .

Would you still shoot him ?? ( Most of us would probably kick the guy in the teeth , myself included, but let's just say you're not the type to engage in a fight with someone) .

If you were to shoot the guy and go before the courts , what do you think the verdict would be ? There's a 99% chance the courts would say " We're sorry Mr Hill , but you could have taken different actions , your truck could have been replaced if he managed to steal it , and here's your life sentence for pre-meditated murder "

I also have another question for SMR .... if someone chases your cowns or runs through your crops ... you give them a warning . The next day the same guys comes back and does the same thing .... you're going to shoot him ??

Some women get beaten everyday , and every once in a while , one of them grabs a gun and shoots their husband ( or boyfriend) because they've had enough . What do they get for doing it ?? 4 consecutive life sentences !!!!!

I don't think that a crop destruction, cow chasing , stealing or trespassing would hold up in court to justify murder .

agreed.unless someone poses a threat i think there it no right to end someones life..

smr
05-03-2007, 01:35 PM

It would in our county.....:D

There is two things you are tought to respect around here. The law and another man's property. If they are destroying crops and chasing cows then they are destructive and Ky law gives us the right to use deadly force to protect our property regardless if the person is armed.

Pappy
05-03-2007, 01:40 PM

actually, i had the situation happen that you started off your post with. a black guy was standing near my mailbox and started up my driveway.i walked out the back door and confronted him, he did not speak but kept eyeing my 400ex. i informed him to leave and he walked back to the road(40 feet or so from the road to my 400ex)

i walked back inside, grabbed my 870 and walked back out, loading it as i was informing him that if he did not walk away, he would be a rotting corpse as no one would worry much about me shooting a (racial slur entered here) i loaded the last round of buckshot, racked a round in the chamber and leveled it on him.....at which point he did his best impression of jesse owens, and then proceeded to get in a blue ford truck with 2 other men and they sped off. i did not shoot him, but i was about 3 1/2 pounds of trigger pressure away from it. again, i refuse to be a victim.

im sure a farmer has fired warning shots at folks for destruction of crops (i know a few that have pelted trespassers and their vehicles) a mans land is his and anyone that disrespects it deserves to get what they get IMO. we are not talking about kids cutting your lawn to save 10 steps, your above reference deals expressly with a mans livelhood as regards to crops and cattle, infact at one time you would be hung if caught stealing cattle.

and with the battered women issue, far to many women have used being beaten (falsley) as an excuse to kill their husband that most of the time, if you follow a case, that fact comes out. the media doesnt follow up on the facts however.

Ripitupfilms
05-03-2007, 01:48 PM
so he didnt say like hey thats a nice fourwheeler or anything. .he never said a word.? I guess trespassing issues are no big deal to me because of where i live. people come up to my house all the time just to ask question about my fourwheelers.. Just yesterday i walk into my garage and the mailmans standing there looking at my quad.. He was intrested because he rides dirtbikes and we had a 2 min conversation and he left.

Pappy
05-03-2007, 01:53 PM
so he didnt say like hey thats a nice fourwheeler or anything. .he never said a word.? I guess trespassing issues are no big deal to me because of where i live. people come up to my house all the time just to ask question about my fourwheelers.. Just yesterday i walk into my garage and the mailmans standing there looking at my quad.. He was intrested because he rides dirtbikes and we had a 2 min conversation and he left.

no, his intent was to steal my quad, i am 100% sure of it.

when you start allowing exceptions for this and that, the criminals are the ones who will expliot any opening you give. they know that the majority of citizens are unarmed, and they prey upon them. they also know that a lawyer can get them off on the first few offenses and that most judges wont pony up sentences that fit the crime, after all, why should the judge worry about your atv, its a machine to him, so he gives the thief a slap on the wrist. maybe an atv today, and a home invasion and murder tomorrow.

our legal system needs to change with the times.

and yes, my UPS guy knows the drill around here. he always puts my stuff in the garage and he has my trust. my mailbox is almost a mile from my house so if i see a mailman in my garage he will be tasting dirt. even the electric meter reading people around here are full of stories, some go so far as to call the residence prior to entering the property. its not that these people are crazy, but they dont like intruders...period.

Ripitupfilms
05-03-2007, 01:59 PM
true true. we are all raised different and have our own beliefs. i see your point . you could have knocked the guy out:D haha

Quad18star
05-03-2007, 02:02 PM
So let's say IF you would have shot the guy and gone to jail , would it have been worth it ?? Would the price of a 400ex be worth a life sentence ?? I mean you would have missed your kids growing up and only contact you'd have with them is 15 minutes between a 2 inch pane of glass every week ?? Would it have been worth it to try and have a relationship with your wife while you two could never spend another night together sleeping in the same bed ?? Childrens graduations? Parents 50th anniversary ? Funerals of family and friends ? Marriages?

I must have a different view on things , but if it came down to me missing all those things , over the price of an ATV .... you could have the quad . Objects can be replaced ... memories can't. I'm not saying that the quad wouldn't leave without a fight , but to grab a gun and shoot someone for attempting to steal .. wouldn't happen .

I'm sure some of the cases involving women that were " beaten" were false , but some women actually have been beaten , documents show a history of violence ( doctors reports , police reports, etc) yet no extra help was ever given to them to get them out of the situation so they had to resort to killing the person . And for that they still get thrown in jail ... which is why I said I doubt the defence that someone was stealing an object or destroyed a crop would hold up in Court.

parkers30
05-03-2007, 02:03 PM
but without hitting him what threat would the common criminal see from a man walking out possibly brandishing his fists? I know I wouldn't think much of it unless it was a pretty big man.

A gun is an obvious warning and threat

Pappy
05-03-2007, 02:05 PM
true true. we are all raised different and have our own beliefs. i see your point . you could have knocked the guy out:D haha

well, look at where you live. if you are in a neighborhood or suburban setting, you tend to have people in and out all day and night, and the city is just as bad.

out here, when the sun goes down, thats it. and during the day everyone has a pretty much set routine that they follow. if something is different or out of place we know it. you may think nothing of a truck or car coming down your street at 10pm, to me that is a sign to head outside and see who wants to die. even my brother knows never to arrive her unannounced.

and its also like this, if i tell my wife ill be home from a race at midnight, but run late, i CALL before i head inside. we are not paranoid, far from it, we just chose to live a secure life, atleast what we can make secure.

if i call 911, its an hour at best before they arrive.

Pappy
05-03-2007, 02:09 PM
So let's say IF you would have shot the guy and gone to jail , would it have been worth it ?? Would the price of a 400ex be worth a life sentence ?? I mean you would have missed your kids growing up and only contact you'd have with them is 15 minutes between a 2 inch pane of glass every week ?? Would it have been worth it to try and have a relationship with your wife while you two could never spend another night together sleeping in the same bed ?? Childrens graduations? Parents 50th anniversary ? Funerals of family and friends ? Marriages?

I'm sure some of the cases involving women that were " beaten" were false , but some women actually have been beaten , documents show a history of violence ( doctors reports , police reports, etc) yet no extra help was ever given to them to get them out of the situation so they had to resort to killing the person . And for that they still get thrown in jail ... which is why I said I doubt the defence that someone was stealing an object or destroyed a crop would hold up in Court.

the answer for me in that situation was no. there was no need for me to kill the man at that time. you are basing your questions with the thought of using deadly force as the only option, and its not, but in my world it is an option.

and yes, there are women jailed even if they are justified, but there are also inncoent men in jail accused of rape that did not do the crime. it is not a perfect system

as far as being incarcerated, yes, ill accept it. my kids will know im there for defending our freedoms that we refuse to give up. i still get to see them talk with them and watch them grow. i cant do that from a box 6 feet under.

Quad18star
05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
the answer for me in that situation was no. there was no need for me to kill the man at that time. you are basing your questions with the thought of using deadly force as the only option, and its not, but in my world it is an option.

and yes, there are women jailed even if they are justified, but there are also inncoent men in jail accused of rape that did not do the crime. it is not a perfect system

as far as being incarcerated, yes, ill accept it. my kids will know im there for defending our freedoms that we refuse to give up. i still get to see them talk with them and watch them grow. i cant do that from a box 6 feet under.

I love these type of discussions ... can't you tell ?? :devil:

Alright so you wouldn't have shot the guy , right ??

But you had the gun loaded and pointed at him ready to fire . So if the guy wouldn't have left , you would have dropped the gun and put a size 12 up his a** or pulled the trigger ??

Was the use of the gun solely to intimidate the guy ?

I understand what kind of area you live in ... been in those areas where if something seems suspicious , it probably means something is going down . But I've also been in those areas at night , when some young family is totally lost driving the back roads and just needs some help finding their way back on the right path . Do you meet these people at the front door with a gun pointed at their head ?

You might be able to see your kids grow up , but you'd never be there for them again to watch over them , protect them , put food on the table for them.

So the meter readers call before comming to check your meter ?? Maybe it's just in my area , but the electricity , water and natural gas meters on the side of my house belong to the respective companies . They have every right to step foot on the property to come and check it and they could yank it out at anytime they feel like it . When we signed up , we had to sign papers stating that they have the right to step foot on the property at anytime they need to ,to inspect the meters . Hell I even have to keep a clear pathway to the meter in the winter time and make sure nothing is piled around it in the summer so that they can check it .

Pappy
05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I will try and answer these in order....

I did not shoot th eguy based on the fact he was not threatening my life, however i do believe he got my message. If he had not left when he had a 12 gauge pointed at him, he would have when I sent 00 in the air. You tend to get a bit spooked when a gun is aimed in your direction and fired, and in this situation he would have recieved a louder message if he had not fled. If after a warning shot he still persisted, i probably would have sent a load scurry across the ground and I am quite sure he would have recieved some slight damage but not a lethal shot. legally i would have been in the wrong, i was legally in the wrong for even being outside my residence with a loaded firearm but again, i refuse to be a victim.

The answer to the lost folks, yes, ANYONE who comes here especially after dark will be met by an armed adult, the only exceptions being that I know your due here after dark (your free to come over and ask my neighbors and two of his FBI buddies if that is a false statement, all 3 of them were met by me with a firearm in my driveway, John now knows to call first)

While the power company may have a right to check their meter, they know the deal as they too are residents of the area and know how protective people are. Its just common sense. Many people back in these hills use dogs to keep people from their homes and trust me, you arent getting past some of them to read a meter and it has to be done by appointment or other arrangements. My meter is read and quite a few times the wife has stepped outside to check on the person...armed. does she door out the door waving it around like a sycho? no. we are not crazed gun fanatics but rather well trained individuals that know how to approach someone when armed, wether YOU know it or not.

As far as my kids, I dont need to be there to protect them, they are being trained to handle themselves as I was, and when the time is right both will have the option to join the military and further their training. By that time, they will know how to handle every weapon i have which includes all current military sidearms and rifles. (I could field strip an AR-15 when i was 12, and qualified expert when I was 17 with both a 45 and M-16. Infact rioght now, Cody can and has killed deer out to 350 yards, and groundhogs past 500. He can not handle a 45 but is pretty mean with a 38. My boys wont be raised to be spinless victims either. And my wife is fully capable of handling most violent confrontations be it with or without weaponry. She shoots 100 rounds per month through her handgun to remain proficient although I would prefer 1000 per month. She alkso knows how to deal with knives and such, and to meet her you wouldnt think she is anything but a typical mom.....unless it is at midnight and your a stranger, then your on your own.

As far as food, both the boys know where meat is and how to get it. Cody, age 6 with his first deer

Pappy
05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
ryan at age 7 with his first buck, killed his fiorst deer at 6 also

Pappy
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
and to add, both boys can work together as a team to skin and butcher a deer, clean a filet fish and both know how (learning anyway) to grow their own food.

although this thread may seem driven on firearms and protection, for me it is but a small part of life, but it is there;)

Pappy
05-03-2007, 04:19 PM
and i raised my brother in the same fashion and he turned out just fine:p

this is about 5 feet from my front door, aint no city lights or houses for me to bother with. im not as far back in the hills as id like to be, but it aint bad;)

smr
05-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Pappy...Looks like you and I are a lot alike. My 12 year old now does most of the hunting now as I just don't enjoy it as much. He can take down a dear and dress it out. For that I am proud of him. We also eat alot of squirrel. Not that I'm crazy about it but the boy loves to hunt them. He knows the ruel...you kill it you grill it. That ruel don't apply to coyotes and trust passers..:D

I'm no Ted Nugent but we grow, kill or catch 50% of what we eat. My kids know how to survive without the supermarket and for that I am proud.

I live 17 miles from the nearest town..of more than 1000. We have weapons and we have guns. My son can take down a deer at 300 yards and he can also empty an AR15 and make you think it's fully auto. It's just a way of life for use and I never really thought much about it until I joined the Army. I thought the whole world lived like we do in Ky. OH well....we don't have a problem with tresspassers because we know everyone in the comunity.

400eXr1d3rZ
05-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by jc250r31

So if I see someone breaking into my mom's truck or brothers car I have the LEGAL right to bust a cap in their ***?

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I know around here trespassing is something you just don't do unless you want a load of shot in your ***.I have never needed to draw a gun on someone myself but there are several locals here that have left their mark on someones truck or worse for trespassing.
A local salvage yard owner was having trouble with somebody sneaking in at night and stealing parts from his junkyard.One night he happened to see a flashlight out in the old cars so he just held the crosshairs on the flashlight and pulled the trigger.......he said he never had a problem after that :p

parkers30
05-03-2007, 07:25 PM
anyone remember American History X? minus the white supremest thing, this whole discussion is pretty close

I think it all depends on how you go about it :o

coolguy8769
05-03-2007, 08:01 PM
haha pappy's got the right idea, i made sure to call when i was running late and it was well past dusk when i picked up my parts. And got the usually look out the window first. Around where i live and anywhere rural thats expected and acceptable even if you know someone is coming.

Over the summer we had some guy (lived in a shack in the woods, noticed how i said lived)) walk threw our field and try to get into our tractor barn. Now It was just me and my sister home and I saw him when he first jumped the fence. My dad keeps the guns in a locked locker so i did the next best thing let out our German Shepared. I have never seen my dog do what he was trained to do before that and wow. I just heard a high pitched scream, and a muffled growel which i assume was a bite. I just saw someone sprint back across the field and jump head first over our fence. Never saw the guy again and noticed his house abandond house was burnt to a crisp a month later...

i have freinds who live new housing develepment and think i live out in the woods or something when i tell them these stories. the "old" part of town where i live isnt changin anytime soon if i have anything to do with it

jc250r31
05-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
So if I see someone breaking into my mom's truck or brothers car I have the LEGAL right to bust a cap in their ***?

I have to look up the law on it so i have something in writing...I'll try to PM you with it later when I have a chance...or you can do a search on it also...

smr
05-04-2007, 05:45 AM
here's how it reads in Ky, Fl, Al,Ga,In,Ms, and SD....kinda funny how they are all either sourthern or midwestern states.

More states sanction deadly force
By Kavan Peterson, Stateline.org Staff Writer

A year-old Florida law sanctioning the use of deadly force to defend against muggers, carjackers or other assailants outside the home is rapidly being adopted by other states and already is being raised as a defense in at least three shootings in Florida.

Six states -- Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi and South Dakota --- already have followed Florida’s lead in enacting the controversial "stand your ground" laws, and Arizona and Idaho have adopted slightly less strict versions of the law.

Similar bills are pending in 16 other states, including in Michigan, where the state House on a 91-to-15 vote on April 25 sent a measure to the Republican-controlled state Senate.

"I expect this to pass the Senate equally as overwhelmingly because everybody understands this is a bill that protects the victims of crimes from being victimized a second time by civil lawsuits or criminal prosecutions," said Michigan state Rep. Rick Jones (R), who sponsored the bill.

The “stand your groundEmeasures, being pushed by the National Rifle Association (NRA), have been rejected in a handful of states, including gun-friendly Wyoming and Virginia.

heres the link to the whole article. http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136&languageId=1&contentId=107276

notice how it says..outside your home.

See Pappy...if you lived in Ky you could have shot that SOB trying to still your 400ex and probabley saved someone else from being a victom.

jc250r31
05-04-2007, 06:57 AM
http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?id=28895&siteSection=1

Louisiana allows the use of deadly force in self-defense or defense of others to "prevent a violent or forcible felony involving danger to life or great bodily harm." People also can shoot intruders inside a home, business or car even if there is no such threat - and need not make any effort to retreat.

That's different from most states, which sanction physical force to prevent imminent physical danger and deadly force only when there is reasonable fear of "serious physical injury or death" - and the person in danger is otherwise unable to first safely retreat.

Justifiable homicide

Except where drugs are involved, Louisiana law legalizes killing in four circumstances:

To prevent loss of life or great bodily harm.

To prevent a violent or forcible felony involving danger to life or great bodily harm, if there is reasonable fear that trying to prevent the felony without killing the perpetrator would be too dangerous.

To prevent unlawful force against a person in a home, business or vehicle.

To stop someone who has unlawfully entered a home, business or vehicle if one reasonably believes the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry or compel the intruder to leave.

Pappy
05-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by smr

See Pappy...if you lived in Ky you could have shot that SOB trying to still your 400ex and probabley saved someone else from being a victom.

Killing someone is not all its cracked up to be, and I believe he found some respect when he was giving me an ******* and elbows show

450rJam
05-04-2007, 08:13 AM
I live in a small town and will defend my family and property with deadly force if needed. I would most likely hold a would be thief at gun point until the police arrive, if he is armed, Im going to jail and he will be judged by his maker.

with several more states passing c & c laws I think low lifes may want to think twice about who they choose to violate.

raise the sentence for the crimes and the problems seem to go away.

if stealing your atv or breaking into your home has a sentence of
1 year in jail there are some who think thats worth the risk.

if stealing pappy's atv or breaking into his house has a sentence of a feeding worms there wont be many takers.

just letting a would be thief know where you stand is usually enough. (this property protected by smith and wesson)

parkers30
05-04-2007, 08:22 AM
The biggest threat to our ATVs comes from the fact that the cops don't care. When we had two of our stolen we had prints and everything. The officer took them but never did anything with them. Great system we have huh?

Toadz400
05-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by parkers30
The biggest threat to our ATVs comes from the fact that the cops don't care. When we had two of our stolen we had prints and everything. The officer took them but never did anything with them. Great system we have huh?

Don't worry, I feel your pain. The guys who stole my quads didn't even get a slap on the wrist...not even a night in jail. Obviously it hasn't stopped them from doing it over and over again. I think within a week they had already stolen someone elses dirtbikes and ripped them apart at their meth lab.

It's times like that where I wish I could've been there when they were stealing my quads and put a few bullets in their asses. At least it would've prevented a lot of pain and misery for other people...

Predator Slim
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
In regards to the duel story...If they both left to get guns and returned on their own, I don't see a crime. They both knew what they were getting into, they didn't have to return. It was a duel and now they are going to punish the winner. I think the laws should be revampt, to have no power over the outcome of a gentleman's duel.

Of course that may just be the country boy in me. Loaded 12 ga in bedroom and it isn't for looks. Why do you think they say "a country boy can survive".

smr
05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Killing someone is not all its cracked up to be, and I believe he found some respect when he was giving me an ******* and elbows show

I don't consider a theff someone......:D....but I would have done the same thing you did.

05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
parkers i said the same thing in another thread and was called and idiot. I guess some of these people have never had to deal with deadbeat lazy cops. My R was stolen and they didnt show up for about 2-3 hours. I found it by searching the fields and trails for hours....before the cops even showed up...its just a bad system, thats really all it is

parkers30
05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
parkers i said the same thing in another thread and was called and idiot. I guess some of these people have never had to deal with deadbeat lazy cops. My R was stolen and they didnt show up for about 2-3 hours. I found it by searching the fields and trails for hours....before the cops even showed up...its just a bad system, thats really all it is

Other than never hearing back from the officer, I can't complain. They showed up promptly. I stayed out of the garage until they got there and we discovered everything together. Followed the tracks and found one. He even had me ride the street back with him escorting.... kinda cool. Afterwords we never heard a word and he wouldn't even respond to phone calls. We're pretty sure we know who took it but have no proof and have never seen it again. They are all insured now :ermm:

05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
mine are insured too now whenever i put them out to the road.

700bRad
05-04-2007, 03:56 PM
I live in the country and behind my house we have nothing but 300 acres of woods and fields, but by no means am I a "Hick" or "Redneck. Im a "Country Boy" and all I have to say is dont mess with a country boy, the "gangsta's, wiggers, city peeps, and thugs" know better.... My bud's and stuff around here would not hesitate to roll up there sleeves, chuck there beer at your face, and proceed to straight up beat the piss out of someone that they feel has been disrespectfull or offending in any way (non-jokingly disrepectful or offending lol, cause we joke alot).
Here is a view behind my house, in the background of course lol.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j207/YFZbrad/Picture032.jpg