PDA

View Full Version : gas prices rising-hard decision on next whip

ny300exrider
05-02-2007, 05:05 AM
sup guys,
i currently drive a 99 isuzu rodeo 3.2 v6 but its getting up there mileage wise and is becoming a bit of a money pit so i am going to start looking for something newer with a bit less miles.

i was originally set of getting a ext. cab silverado v8 4x4 but after looking into the future gas price trends, it seems as though $4 a gallon will be a definite by summer. with all of this talk, im beginning to rethink the whole big truck idea. i am in the process of selling my quad so the need for a pickup isnt there much anyway.

is anybody thinking about getting something more fuel efficient because of the rise in price? im only 17, and will be commuting to college next year so im worried that if i get a big truck i will regret it.

however, i've never been the car type of kid, so im not sure how i would feel after getting one....

what kind of cars would you people recomend if i did happen to go that route. i want something good looking and alittle bit of snap, nothing crazy.

the newer 7th gen civics are pretty nice, mk4 jettas look good, cobalt ss, etc. anyone here drive a car and like it?
i would have to take being called a ricer by all my "redneck" friends but hey if im saving money, it might be worth it.

when im 19-20 i will be on a street legal supermoto bike getting 50+ miles to the gallon but until then, i need something.

whats your opinion
thanks

54warrior
05-02-2007, 05:57 AM
I'd buy a Jeep. You won't get great gas mileage, but the chick's at college will like your Jeep better than any other car you pick. Your redneck friends won't make fun of you then either.

On a side note....

When did "Whip" become a slang term for an automobile? I'm sure it was long before the Unique Whips TV show. Personally, I think it's a stupid name.

2004-400ex
05-02-2007, 06:51 AM
i own a 2.7l 4cyl tacoma
extra cab 4x4 i get low 20s for gas millage and its a nice truck
i owned a jetta TDI for some time and loved it got around 50 mpg when driven normal and about 30 when you drove like a moron
its a desiel so your redneck friends sould like cuz all mine did

Quad18star
05-02-2007, 07:34 AM
I just bought a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab 4x4 last month , and I'm now having my doubts about it . I might sell it and buy a car again because of the gas prices . It's costing my $110 to fill the tank , and I fill it once or twice a week .

I'll probably buy a car and add a hitch to it and buy a trailer to tow the bike around with. I'll be going old man style .... probably buy a Buick 4 door V6 .... you can't kill them , they get great gas mileage , quick cars and insurance is CHEAP !!!!

underpowered
05-02-2007, 07:50 AM
you can get a small Yota Taco 4 banger and get decent milage out of a truck.

but i am with you about the cars, not much of a car driver. everything i have owned has been a 4wd, 2 trucks, 2 SUV's. however if i did get a car it would be an F-body camaro, a B-body impala SS or Caprice (with LT1 motor of course.), or possibly a fox body stang, or even a newer gen stang. i would not get caught dead in a civic, no matter how high gas goes.

but for me, i am keepin the big truck but am gettin a two wheeled death machine for a gas saver during the summer, keepin the 4x4 for the winter. cheap, reliable, and a blast to ride. rode my dads bike yesterday, cost be $8 to fill up @ $3 a gallon, and i can get about 150 miles to a tank. you can't beat that with a stick

ny300exrider
05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
thanks for the opinions so far. ill check out the yotas...may be an option. how are the 2.7 on power? i was thinking 4cyl. s-10 but they are 2wd, so small, and probably real slow it wouldnt even be worth it. i like the mk4 jetta 1.8t , theyre hot looking cars but vw/audi have the bad rep. like i said, im selling my quad so i may not even need a truck like i did before....its more of just that i like trucks in general.

when im alittle bit older and more experienced on the road, ill have a nice dualsport or supermoto bike to get around

gotwarrior
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Gas prices are going up!!! Going to get rid of the 5.7 V8 and go and get a 5.9 Cummins..:p

Tommy 17
05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
the only problem is that now all our big V8 trucks are dropping in value...

the best thing to do is take ur darn foot off the gas and run it normal... if i drive sensible and smooth i'll get 19mpg outta mine... if i drive it hard i get 12...

PismoLocal
05-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 2004-400ex
i own a 2.7l 4cyl tacoma
extra cab 4x4 i get low 20s for gas millage and its a nice truck
i owned a jetta TDI for some time and loved it got around 50 mpg when driven normal and about 30 when you drove like a moron
its a desiel so your redneck friends sould like cuz all mine did
I have the same truck. Its awesome. I had a lifted tahoe and sold it to buy a tacoma IMO it was the best financial decision I have ever made. I have put 70k on it in the last 2 years and it has around 159k on it and its still going strong.

I was thinking about buying a car for when I went to college but I ended up getting a truck because of the quad. The truck bed really helps when you need to move all your stuff between semesters too.

05-02-2007, 11:35 AM
yup, drive easy guys. We all are going to hit the same red lights anyways. I drive a 99 pontiac bonneville and i LOVE the car. It has everything i want, sunroof, leather, supercharger, nice wheels, about 28 mpg on highway, its comfortable too! I cant say enough about this car. It does look like a older persons car but hell i love it. Alot better buy then my sisters 02 camero or my buddys trucks

parkers30
05-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I love my diesel :D

I get between 21-23 on the highway running just shy of 70 set the cruise and don't worry about out running the guy next to you

HB416EX
05-02-2007, 12:44 PM
If I didnt need a 3/4 ton truck for work I would own a Toyota Tacoma or Tundra.They are the best trucks out period and I have driven EVERY truck.Nissan Titan is second.

2004-400ex
05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
thanks for the opinions so far. ill check out the yotas...may be an option. how are the 2.7 on power? i was thinking 4cyl. s-10 but they are 2wd, so small, and probably real slow it wouldnt even be worth it. i like the mk4 jetta 1.8t , theyre hot looking cars but vw/audi have the bad rep. like i said, im selling my quad so i may not even need a truck like i did before....its more of just that i like trucks in general.

when im alittle bit older and more experienced on the road, ill have a nice dualsport or supermoto bike to get around
the 2.7 has a good deal of power for a 4 banger and gas millage ranges from 15 to 26 (15 being on it all the time)

TXATVRIDER
05-02-2007, 01:44 PM
So a whip is also a vehicle?...lol Never heard that before.

ugottabayou
05-03-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm in the same position you are. My truck gets between 10-12 mpg city, and 14-16 highway. I don't really like to drive cars, but if I got one I think the 03+ Dodge Stratus R/T's are pretty nice. Or I've looked at the new Monte Carlo or Impala SS. 5.3L 300hp, and with the 4 cyl. mode they get 27mpg.

johnsls
05-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by HB416EX
If I didnt need a 3/4 ton truck for work I would own a Toyota Tacoma or Tundra.They are the best trucks out period and I have driven EVERY truck.Nissan Titan is second.

I agree ^^^^

If you still want a truck buy a Toyota (Tundra),, decent gas mileage, will probally last you a good 200,000miles..
The Titan is nice but its a V8 and it will definately drink a lot.

JUST MAKE SURE YOUR QUAD WILL FIT IN THE BACK...:devil: