PDA

View Full Version : new guy need some help from you pros

bryan70546
05-01-2007, 08:26 PM
hello everyone ,nice place you have here .i won a 1999 400ex off of ebay for a real good price .the mods are as follows nerf bars ,itp tires and rims 2 sets , some kind of fancy kill switch that attaches to your arm of something like that fmf pipe ,uni filter and some other goodies like boots and helment ,the engine has a big bore kit on it to bring it up to a 440 and has been rejetted ,i am going to get the bike tommorrow ,here is my question the fellow told me its hard to start and that the engine has so much compression that it drains the battery and wont hold a idle .but he aslo said that its does not smoke and has goobs of bottom end punch .the bikes is in real good shape and for 1850 i could not pass it up .i got a new battery from the honda shop i just wont to know if this is true are not because i want to be able to hit the start button and not have to worry about a dead battery all the time the idle i am not to worried about probley just need some adjustment or a good cleaning .the fellow said that his son has went off to college and has no time for the bike and its taken up space in his garage so he wanted it out of thier .any help you guys can give me would mean alot .thanks bryan

underpowered
05-01-2007, 08:40 PM
a bad battery could cause it to drain quickly, so a new one would help. but if you have not already gotten the battery, you can get a high output one form a hayabusa to help it crank a bit better. part number yt12a-bs i believe, or a YTZ10-s will work as well. both are more expensive than stock, but provide more CCA's to help turn the engine over.

400exracer511
05-01-2007, 08:40 PM
welcome,

I could be wrong but I have never heard anyone with a high compression 440 complain about draining the battery. I'm sure it takes more juice but I wouldn't think it would drain the battery. However, I have heard that 450r's have this problem, among other starting problems. I would think with a new battery you should be fine. Someone with a 440 will probably either confrim this or confirm that I dont know what I'm talking about.

p.s. Good choice going with an ex!

EDIT: Underpowered is right you may want to look into a beefier battery

bryan70546
05-01-2007, 09:02 PM
thanks for the welcome guys ,i got a new battery today just in case will have to wait and see tommorrow i never had a quad before just a few pilots and and oddesys and dirt bikes .been having the itch for a while and bid and won the ex i was shocked that i won for so cheap.hopefully it will only be a battery .stay tuned .bryan

REPOMAN
05-01-2007, 10:19 PM
i have never had that problem you speak of. good luck and hope all is good with the new quad

exracer416
05-01-2007, 10:56 PM
if the quad doesnt idle i suggest you try a 42 pilot jet, esp. withthe big bore

bryan70546
05-01-2007, 11:53 PM
42 pilot jet got it . will have to see tommorrow cant sleep the wait is killing me.