PDA

View Full Version : little helpful tricks thread...

exracer416
05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
anybody have any little tips, that make things easier to work on?? for example running a screw driver across a speaker magnet will magnetize the screw driver...

or stuffing a rag into the bottom end of a quad so the wristpin clip doesnt fall into the tranny.

firefighterjosh
05-01-2007, 07:51 PM
I always put a dab of grease on the end of a socket or screw driver so the bolt/screw dosen't fall out when working in tight places

suck my pipe
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
just a tip not mechanical, after a fresh wash spray WD-40 under your plastics so there easy to clean.

underpowered
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
use a dab of grease on valve keeper to help hold em in while installing valves.

tire foam is a great plastic cleaner, and mud washes right off the next time around.

a little loc-tite goes a long way

use a cable tie to tie back the reverse mechanism on a 300ex to make gettin into reverse a bit less of a hassle

a little preventative maintenance will save big headaches down the road (I.E. 400ex swingarm bolt, keep it greased)

i got more, just cannot think of em right now

exracer416
05-01-2007, 08:32 PM
to get the bearings out of a bearing carrier, use a 2x4 lay it on the ground and hit it with the side of the bearing carrier, bearings usually slide out....

underpowered
05-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by exracer416
to get the bearings out of a bearing carrier, use a 2x4 lay it on the ground and hit it with the side of the bearing carrier, bearings usually slide out....

another bearing tip.

pre-heat oven to 250*

remove bearin carrier from bike

place in oven till warmed throughout

tap on peice of wood until the bearings slide out

put new bearings in freezer

new bearins should drop right in

garnish with a little waterproof grease

re-install in bike

serve at outside temp, with a side of roost.

54warrior
05-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
tire foam is a great plastic cleaner, and mud washes right off the next time around.

Tire foam is probably better at that than it is at shining tires.

Someone mentioned the heat/freeeze idea already. If you have access to a canister of freon you can simply freeze parts like bearings to get them in/out. Works well for things like counter balancers/pulleys on auto engines as well.

smr
05-02-2007, 05:53 AM
when ever I buy a new quad I always remove the rear hubs and clean all the grease off and add loc-tite to the splines (this will work with wornout hubs also). I havn't stripped a hub in years.

I always put a thin lawer of grease on my gaskets to help hold them in place.

sideways
05-02-2007, 06:06 AM
dont use a pipe wrench on your axle nut. only makes things worse.

to pop a bead on a tire, run it over with a car or truck, or have a garage do it.

if you find extra parts, their prolly important

YFZ450Ridr
05-02-2007, 06:21 AM
my dad and i usually put a very very thin layer of grease in the airbox, it traps more dust and dirt and anything alike.

54warrior
05-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by YFZ450Ridr
my dad and i usually put a very very thin layer of grease in the airbox, it traps more dust and dirt and anything alike.
I've used Armor-All for the same thing. A thin coat of grease probably works better though.

trick250r
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by YFZ450Ridr

when i put oil on my airfilter i usually just spray some on the inside of the airbox as well.

300exOH
05-02-2007, 08:59 AM
1. If you have a nut you want to re install that is in a tight spot you can put a piece of paper over the boxed end of a wrench and use it to hold the nut while you thread the bolt into it.

2. womens nylons make a great temporary "outerwear" for real dusty conditions.

3. wd-40 makes a great decal remover
-zippo lighter fluid works well too but be careful because it is very flammable

4. Use dielectric grease on all of your electrical contacts(including the spark plug boot) to keep water/mud a corrosion away.

sideways
05-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH

3. wd-40 makes a great decal remover
-zippo lighter fluid works well too but be careful because it is very flammable

HUH?!?!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :D

trx400EXtreme
05-02-2007, 04:19 PM
oh, i got a good tip............. trees....dont....move.:eek2: :D :blah:

MO-EX-RIDER
05-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by underpowered

a little loc-tite goes a long way

a little preventative maintenance will save big headaches down the road

not saying names but, i have a buddy that need to read these 2:devil:

300exOH
05-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by sideways
HUH?!?!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :D

Huh what? I read on a can of lighter fluid that it works well to remove adhesives. Can't remember which brand...

Like I said...I would be very careful using this method but it works very well. In fact it works better than penetrating oils like wd-40

underpowered
05-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Huh what? I read on a can of lighter fluid that it works well to remove adhesives. Can't remember which brand...

Like I said...I would be very careful using this method but it works very well. In fact it works better than penetrating oils like wd-40

any solvent like kerosene, lighter fluid, ect. will remove adhesive. and WD-40 is also very flameable

but most solvents evaporate qucikly, so you don't have much to worry about. any way, only the fumes are flamable.

Old Head
05-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Tire foam is probably better at that than it is at shining tires.

Someone mentioned the heat/freeeze idea already. If you have access to a canister of freon you can simply freeze parts like bearings to get them in/out. Works well for things like counter balancers/pulleys on auto engines as well.

that will work as long as your nieghbor isn't video taping you to cash in on the 25,000 dollar fine for blowning freon in the air

54warrior
05-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Old Head
that will work as long as your nieghbor isn't video taping you to cash in on the 25,000 dollar fine for blowning freon in the air

Didn't realize that there was a fine for that? Guess I should be more careful next time.

Old Head
05-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Yea but i'm pretty sure it needs to be on video. Being an hvac mechanic we need to be certified to use freon.

54warrior
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Old Head
Yea but i'm pretty sure it needs to be on video. Being an hvac mechanic we need to be certified to use freon.

OIC, my friend does residential/commercial HVAC work, that's who I learned it from.

Cody_300ex
05-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by sideways
dont use a pipe wrench on your axle nut. only makes things worse.

I did and it worked out fine.. :confused:

chris46250r
05-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Cody_300ex

Yes it will work but it makes it look like shiznit.

sideways
05-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Cody_300ex

i use it on my axle nut too, worked fine the first few times. i must be too strong cause i ended up overtightening it and somehow stripping the threads. that made it real hard to take the rear end apart. oh and it makes the axle nut look like crap