PDA

View Full Version : Tore my ACL and cartilage

LTR450_#67
05-01-2007, 04:48 PM
It happened at my first race couple weeks ago and heres how it went......

I ran Production B and Open B. In Production B moto 1 I came out of the hole in third then stalled by landing on the rear brake over a jump.... Got going again but didn't over do it came back and got 7th. In Open B moto 1 came out 3rd or 4th moved into 1st after halfway through the second lap and pulled away. My brother said I had a 10-15sec. lead over 2nd place! That was my first 1st place ever. Then in moto 2 of Prod. B I came out 3rd was moving into 2nd doubled into the triple in the back of the track and over shot it a lil, cased it good and felt my knee pull or something. Pulled off of the track and let everyone by cause I didn't feel 100% with the knee. Got back on and ran a couple laps and the knee just didn't feel right, even though it didn't actually hurt. After that moto I walked around the pits and did some old football moves like cutting and jumping side to side and it felt fine. So I decided to run moto 2 of Open B since I had a really good chance at a 1st overall. So I pulled the my first ever holeshot for an easy lead and pretty much had it in the bag. Had a good lead again, backed off a lil after the 3rd lap and then tragedy happened......on the same jump I cased it and my knee popped! I pulled off in excruciating pain. I knew it was game over. I watched my overall go down the drain. I'm pretty down about the situation.... I really wanted it. I'm going to go get my knee checked out tomorrow. This hurts physically and inside. I just really wanted it.....Now I just get to sit out and wish I was out there......

later
Aaron

Yeah I know I have this same thread in the racing section but I wanted it here in the general/open forum.

armysig
05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, after the pain goes away you can race. I do not suggest you do this though. I made that mistake and I damaged my ACL and other ligaments even more.

Now once you have sugery, make sure you do all the therapy the doctor tells you to do.

Don't slack on any of it, you're leg will never be the same, But with the right work out and training it can be very strong.

Another thing, if you are very active I would ask the doctor to put in plastic screws for the reconstruction. If you have metal screws it will make the MRI go haywire the next time you have your knee scanned.

Hang in there bud. It's going to get better...It just takes time.

Lowcountrydave
05-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Hate to hear ya got hurt man. Sounds like you were having a great race day. Anyways you only have two knees, let it heal. There are plenty of races ahead.

Definitely good advice about the therapy, I twisted my knee once in a shop garage. Therapy makes a big difference in long term comfort.

Dave

tar
05-01-2007, 05:52 PM
That sucks but like armysig said above don't slack off in your recouperating (sp?) stages do what the doctor says and you will be out there again.

honda_racer_713
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
I did this same thing last year when i was 15.. my advice like everyone elses is to make sure you put 100% into your physical therapy to get your muscle mass and extension back.. if you dont commit to it fully you could lose some extension in your leg and you'll feel restricted as to what you can do..but if you do eveything right your knee should be 110% stronger than it originally was.

LTR450_#67
05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. It just sucks knowing I can only stand back and watch. I plan on getting surgery done (which will probably be done this week).

Why should I go with the plastic screws? I don't understand by what you mean "reconstruction". I thought the body couldn't repair ligaments...

Thanks again
Aaron

armysig
05-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Ok there are 2 types of sergery that they can do if the ACL is torn or severed.

1. they take a tendon that goes over your knee cap and put it in place of the ACL, they attach the tendon with screws. Plastic or metal, depending on the doctor. This is the more painful one and it takes longer to recover from.

2. they take a tendon near your groing and do the same thing to attach it. This is less painful and you do recover a little bit faster.

It really comes down to the doctor and what he likes to practice.

I'll tell you this, with in 48 hours of the surgery you will be on a sit down stationary bike and try to get 1 revolution done. It took me over 1 hour to do it and it hurt like hell.

They do this because they don't want the tendon and knee to stiffin up and take longer to do your recovery.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/foosmania/kneesurgerypic2.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/foosmania/kneesurgerypic1.jpg
This was my knee just 12 hours after the surgery. Kind of gross, but it looks fine now.

LTR450_#67
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I see.....My grandpa has an exercise bike that he doesn't use no more. Would that be beneficial in recovery? I'm thinking yes. I know my older bro, when he did the samething in football he did a ton of rehab. I hope I can recover to almost as good as new or maybe even better. While I'm at it I hope to lose some weight cuz I think that had some contribution to the tearing.

Aaron