PDA

View Full Version : atv wont start

mr2turbo
05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
I got it a few weeks ago and I got it from a friend and when I was riding it last weekend I was running it for about 90 minutes in a few fields and forests and when i was heading back home I was racing my friend on his 450grizzly and his speedo said 57mph and I was inching on him all of a sudden it died. Now if it starts it'll run for a sec and die, or I can ride it but if I give it more than half throttle it boggs.

When I took the airbox off the person I got if from must have rode it in the mud b/c there was a bunch of mud in the airbox and when I looked at the filter the foam was falling apart and I could see the screen inside the filter.

I'm thinking it sucked in dirt and clogged the carb. Any help is appreciated!

JIMFROMTEXCO
05-01-2007, 04:37 PM
yea it sounds like the carb pull it off and clean it clean out the intake tube as well. im assuming its a 300ex. maybe even buy a carb rebuild kit. not that expensive like 20 bucks!

mr2turbo
05-02-2007, 02:09 AM
my biggest worry is that I keep thinking the worst happened! like that I warped the head or block from overheating/reving but it doesn't smoke and it has compression. I don't know what it has for compression b/c I don't have a fitting for that small of a spark plug but is it common for the motors to warp or anything from being run so hard?

And sorry, yes it's a 300ex

JIMFROMTEXCO
05-02-2007, 09:24 AM
not that i know of. but worst cast is you screwed up your rings by getting dirt and **** in. clean the carband see how it rides. also check the petcock mine would only run for 2 minutes then it would die and wouldnt start again untill it sat for an hour when the bowl finally re-filled

mr2turbo
05-02-2007, 11:41 PM
How hard would it be to rebuild the carb? I am very good with cars and what not but I've never worked on a carb before, do you think I'd be able to do it myself?

And thanks for you're help!

330ex51
05-03-2007, 03:42 PM
yeah the carb on a 300ex is easy to work on. There is tons of info on how to do it.