PDA

View Full Version : 04' crank mod necessary?

QuadRacer18
05-01-2007, 12:37 PM
im picking up an 04' 450r wednesday and the guy that im buying it from used to ride it prolly once a week. The topend is fresh with a new stock piston. the only mod it has is a hotcam stage 2. I was wondering, if hes been riding it about once a week since 04' should i still worry about the crank going or no? should i still do the crank mod? i just need some imput for what to expect. just change the oils every ride and i should be good right? let me know what you guys think. thanks

p.s. ive heard that if the cranks are gonna let go they usually do it within the first few hours of use, so am i okay if its been ridden for awhile and nothing has happened?

Chino886
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I recommend doing it, if you choose not to safeguard it now, expect to spend over a $1000 replacing parts that could of been prevented.

This is just from my personal experience!

400exrider707
05-01-2007, 01:10 PM
If the crank bearings dont go in the first few hours, from what I have seen, they will be fine. Its the rod bearing that seems to go out after while. It's still not a bad idea to do the mod though.

kazpr
05-01-2007, 04:11 PM
My 04 when my mech tore it down was solid except the rod bearing had some play so we just replaced it all while in there. Cheap insurance.