PDA

View Full Version : my dilemma

insaneracin2003
05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Heres the deal,I have 3 choices,i know what i want to do( I think) being i am posting it on this site but here it is.
Since my quad got stolen last Sept., I have been looking for something to build or ride,I NEED A TOY!!! and these are to ride mx/xc-both.
My 3 choices are;
1) I can buy a 1997 CR250 for about $1300.00 in great shape,used but in great shape. comes with some riding gear,Helmet,boots and chest protector. he will take monthy payments.

2) Mint 06 YZ250F for $3000.00. will probably take monthly payments,i know the guy very good and he is getting out of riding since he broke his neck on his 450.

3) this will be a project. a few of you know my 400ex that I rebuilt from the groung up and I really enjoyed doing it with the help of Pappy,C&D Racing and a few members of this site. well it is a 01 400ex with just frame,subframe and motor. Not sure of the price the guys wants for it and the condition of it.

I make decent money so it really isn't a major factor but with my son going to school pretty soon i want to spend the least amount and be happy and not regret my decision. Any and all opinions are welcome.
Thanks guys.

05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
CR250 if it is in good enough condition. It will be the fastest and less expensive. Plus riding a 2 stroke is just a blast! Not to mention it would be paid off in no time. Or you could just save up 1300 bucks and buy it. Thats a good price for a 250. I am sure the 250 has a pipe and other little things done to it right?

Ruby Soho
05-01-2007, 11:46 AM
projects are always fun, and if it turns anything out like your last one, id say do the project

insaneracin2003
05-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
projects are always fun, and if it turns anything out like your last one, id say do the project
Thanks Ruby :macho

Chino886
05-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Insane,

I am not sure how your grand scheme of things is, but if you can do it, I say build a project bike. I forget how much fun it is turning the wrenches sometimes when everything comes together. I am rebuilding my motor and bike right now and it is like bringing something to life.

Good luck and whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Cha cha cha chino!

insaneracin2003
05-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
CR250 if it is in good enough condition. It will be the fastest and less expensive. Plus riding a 2 stroke is just a blast! Not to mention it would be paid off in no time. Or you could just save up 1300 bucks and buy it. Thats a good price for a 250. I am sure the 250 has a pipe and other little things done to it right?
I am not quite sure,I am going this weekend to check out the CR250.

insaneracin2003
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Hey Insane,

I am not sure how your grand scheme of things is, but if you can do it, I say build a project bike. I forget how much fun it is turning the wrenches sometimes when everything comes together. I am rebuilding my motor and bike right now and it is like bringing something to life.

Good luck and whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Cha cha cha chino!
Ya know chino, I remember when it was coming together after I got my stuff back from Pappy how excited I was to get it going and the support I had gotten from members on here about how my progress was going , really motivated me.

Chino886
05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
Ya know chino, I remember when it was coming together after I got my stuff back from Pappy how excited I was to get it going and the support I had gotten from members on here about how my progress was going , really motivated me.

Yup, building them is 1/2 the fun and riding them is the other 1/2.

You know where I stand on this.

I have almost thought of selling mine when I finish the build!!:eek2:

Shift_450R
05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
get the 250 man, in my opinion MUCH MUCH more fun than a 4 poke, throw rings in it every year piston every 2 depending on how you ride it and your set. Very little maintaince compared to teh 250f and theres just that fun factor on a 2 stroke that you cant replace.

underpowered
05-01-2007, 01:02 PM
i say the build. i have always wanted to build a bike, but never have the time or money to do so. you last bike was awesome and i am sure that if you build another one it will be great as well.

one of these days i may have to build me one from scratch, instead of piecing mine together as i go. i would love to start with a frame, and build from there buying everything just the way i want.

Chino886
05-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Or take a honda EX frame and throw that CR 250 motor in there and build yourself a 2 smoke hybrid! LOL!

2 strokes are fun, but it depends on what you want to do and how many wheels/tires you are spinning.

4 strokes have their place also.

HB416EX
05-01-2007, 01:08 PM
If I was you I would build the EX.It sounds like fun and you said money isn't a problem.You can replace what got stolen from you and make it even better.

mitch91
05-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Shift_450R
get the 250 man, in my opinion MUCH MUCH more fun than a 4 poke, throw rings in it every year piston every 2 depending on how you ride it and your set. Very little maintaince compared to teh 250f and theres just that fun factor on a 2 stroke that you cant replace.

Try every 40-50 hours, well that is what it was liek on my 85. Then a piston every 2-4 pistons, to keep it running in top shape.

Honda#4
05-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Dave I'll trade ya my quad plus cash for your quad. LOL

tar
05-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Do the build, your old 400 turned out better than great and I am sure this would turn out the same.

insaneracin2003
05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys,I think I am going to do the build and prolly get the CR250 :macho ....I can only wish....

CRich[814]
05-01-2007, 05:20 PM
i was going to say, throw up a pic of the 400. go for the CR. then build the another ex. i really like your ex you had.

esr250r86
05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Yz250f would be sweet.

05-01-2007, 05:30 PM
whats so sweet about a 250f??:confused:

The Cr 250 would walk all over it, not to mention 1700 left in your pocket, and your STILL going faster

Rootar
05-01-2007, 09:14 PM
i got a prm chassis skid, like new holeshot HD front tires, and maybe a couple other little odds and ends. if you build another 400 its all yours, just pay the shipping;) and maybe 10 bucks for me to package them ya know.....good to see your gonna get another start.

insaneracin2003
05-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
i got a prm chassis skid, like new holeshot HD front tires, and maybe a couple other little odds and ends. if you build another 400 its all yours, just pay the shipping;) and maybe 10 bucks for me to package them ya know.....good to see your gonna get another start.
Thanks a bunch Ross, I just may take you up on that offer....soon enough, I am going to call the guy with the 400 in the morning and see what exactly he wants for it. I might be making a trip to Baton Rouge this weekend if his price is right,then Monday I will be shipping a package to Pappy...haha..I hope so...

Rich250RRacer
05-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I am not quite sure,I am going this weekend to check out the CR250.

I would definitely go with the 2-stroke. But I would look for a 93-96, something with the steel chassis. Take this from somebody who owns both a 96 and a 99, I prefer the steel chassis over the aluminum any day, plus the motors are nearly identical. If you must have an aluminum chassis CR, look for a 2000 or newer. The second generation chassis is much better than the first (97-99). The seating position on the 97-99 just feels kinda weird to me, plus it's tall. I also had a 93, but it was stolen a few years back, and I would kill to have that bike back. That bike, along with the 96 are my favorite CR's I've owned.

Pappy
05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
ofcourse you could easliy buy the 400 i just finished...lol

insaneracin2003
05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
ofcourse you could easliy buy the 400 i just finished...lol
Damnit Pappy,i told ya to let me know when ya gots one ready for me

Pappy
05-01-2007, 10:22 PM
id say its almost ready.

everything is done to it that needs done, but i ran into a problem with the 450r front shocks and the walsh arms so a new pair of shocks would be needed. other then that she is ready to roll.

no hipers but good itp rims and tires, riden very little honestly, i think cody has about 30 minutes on it. he wants a cobra:p

$5800 takes it outta here

Rootar
05-02-2007, 08:10 AM
hey paul i would make the trip out to WV with ya if we hit up breezewood for a full day, pappy could meet us there wiht your new wheeler right???

:p let me know when we are going i got a comfy truck and enclosed trailer to haul them all i have been wanting to head up that way and check out breezewood

insaneracin2003
05-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
hey paul i would make the trip out to WV with ya if we hit up breezewood for a full day, pappy could meet us there wiht your new wheeler right???

:p let me know when we are going i got a comfy truck and enclosed trailer to haul them all i have been wanting to head up that way and check out breezewood
Well Ross, if I can convince Ole' Paps to take payments from me we, would leave this week to get that sucker. I have been dying to go to Breezwood. It is like that TRIP that everyone has planned for the future that can seem to never come around. I almost went out there quadless a year ago after my quad got stolen,I even had a member (quad2extreme) offer me a ride on his 400 and a place to stay for the weekend,Thanks again man, and Paps said he would come pick me up from the airport. But the deal fell through on my end probably best cause I would have felt so crippled out there without my ride.
Maybe I can sweet talk Paps into something, shoot,I would even have to sweet talk my wife into letting me get that 400 from him. That can be accomplished though. You should have seen her face last nite when Paps posted that 400 on this thread.Priceless:uhoh:

Pappy
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
a few free passes to BPG could be thrown in as well:p

insaneracin2003
05-02-2007, 11:29 AM
a few free passes to BPG could be thrown in as well:p
I can throw about 400.00 a month at ya Paps. free passes to BPG would ba a super BONUS.....balls in your court...lol...:bandit:

Pappy
05-02-2007, 12:10 PM
If I was indepednantly wealthy then no worries, but BK doesnt stand for Bank:p

insaneracin2003
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
lol....soon enough Paps...soon enough ;)

Mc. Muffin
05-02-2007, 12:41 PM
I might be making a trip to Baton Rouge this weekend if his price is right,then Monday I will be shipping a package to Pappy...haha..I hope so...
Whats the guy name? I might know him because I'm 20 minutes from BR

Mc. Muffin
05-02-2007, 12:47 PM
We all know BK Performance stands for Burger King Performance!!! Wheres my FREE whopper?

insaneracin2003
05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Mc. Muffin
Whats the guy name? I might know him because I'm 20 minutes from BR
I know his name is Mike, and he goes by monster on the GCQRA forums. I don't know his last name as of yet.

Pappy
05-02-2007, 01:24 PM
We all know BK Performance stands for Burger King Performance!!! Wheres my FREE whopper?

coming from a member named mc muffin, ill keep in mind people on the net are flighty

insaneracin2003
05-02-2007, 01:28 PM
coming from a member named mc muffin, ill keep in mind people on the net are flighty
uh-oh. Theres gonna be a fast food cook off in my thread. :eek2: Get the napkins,it is BK v's McD :eek: would you like a Hot Apple Pie with that?? lol

Mc. Muffin
05-02-2007, 01:38 PM
emmm.... my first name is Donald also :eek:

McD Performance vs BK Performance :devil:
Let the cook offs begin :D

Pappy
05-02-2007, 01:42 PM

Let the cook offs begin :D

lets see, established business with riders from the pro class to 70cc production running our work and proudly listing us as sponsors, over 500+ atv and bike frames completed in 2006, growth rate of over 350% for the past 3 years....

son, the burgers were done before you even stepped in the kitchen.

another one served;)

Mc. Muffin
05-02-2007, 01:55 PM
lets see, established business with riders from the pro class to 70cc production running our work and proudly listing us as sponsors, over 500+ atv and bike frames completed in 2006, growth rate of over 350% for the past 3 years....

another one served;)

Son, I never said I was going to open a powder coating business, I said "let the fast food cooks offs begin"
Someone takes jokes to seriously :uhoh: No hard feelings

insaneracin2003
05-02-2007, 02:20 PM

another one served;)
I am proud to say 1 of the 500+ frames was mine :D
psst Pap,did ya ever get any BK Performance stickers,I still do want one....hehehe

parkers30
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
I am proud to say 1 of the 500+ frames was mine :D
psst Pap,did ya ever get any BK Performance stickers,I still do want one....hehehe

Same here, gotta show off who did our PC work, we have two quads with your work now.

Pappy
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Son, I never said I was going to open a powder coating business, I said "let the fast food cooks offs begin"
Someone takes jokes to seriously :uhoh: No hard feelings

first, im old enough to have bagged your mom and you might be my son, unless math has changed since i was in school, there is no chance i could be your son. keep the terminology timeline straight(ofcourse my son wouldnt be heading for summer school so you can scratch you being my kid) eh quadking...lol

secondly, you are correct, you havent done anything. my point made, thank you very little.

and btw, im a hell of a cook, so anytime you'd like to have a cook off, let the meat fly:devil: ill be cooking for roughly 150 people this weekend, have fun with your microvave meal...lol

as far as too seriously...not at all. i have a great sense of humor and love cutting up, however, i do tend to point out the obvious to those that do not have the capacity to understand the scope of things they are trying to make light of.

here is a picture of a bunny that says you suck, lets hope its the worst thing you run into today..lmao

Pappy
05-02-2007, 05:47 PM
this post is directed to peas on my head(and your other name) who deleted his post trying to make himself look big. the difference between you and i is that i have a hefty set of nuts that i stand behind and have no problem stating my opinion or what i feel. you just proved your still a kid and that i am correct in my assumptions. i do not do anything to impress anyone, just myself. i could careless what anyone else thinks...lol

second off, ive dealt with so many loons on this site that ive learned to spot them and i deal with them accordingly. as far as the rules, i was merely replying to what was posted and directed at me, if you dont like it...tough cookies

btw..why couldnt you have posted under your normal name instead of this one? funny how you want the rules enforced yet you break them yourself?

lol...this is too easy!
3. Refrain from swearing, making sexual and drug references,or creating alternate usernames.

Mc. Muffin
05-03-2007, 02:25 AM
first, im old enough to have bagged your mom and you might be my son, unless math has changed since i was in school, there is no chance i could be your son. keep the terminology timeline straight(ofcourse my son wouldnt be heading for summer school so you can scratch you being my kid) eh quadking...lol

secondly, you are correct, you havent done anything. my point made, thank you very little.

and btw, im a hell of a cook, so anytime you'd like to have a cook off, let the meat fly:devil: ill be cooking for roughly 150 people this weekend, have fun with your microvave meal...lol

as far as too seriously...not at all. i have a great sense of humor and love cutting up, however, i do tend to point out the obvious to those that do not have the capacity to understand the scope of things they are trying to make light of.

here is a picture of a bunny that says you suck, lets hope its the worst thing you run into today..lmao

wow you can make fun of someone on the Internet!!!! :eek2:
You really do need to grow up SON!

firefighterjosh
05-03-2007, 02:50 AM

I could have swore I read somewhere you where only 15:huh

Mc. Muffin
05-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
My whole family uses this account.... :huh bty

I could of swore I read you were 21 :huh

firefighterjosh
05-03-2007, 03:00 AM
My whole family uses this account.... :huh bty

I could of swore I read you were 21 :huh

lol I am accually 22;)

Mc. Muffin
05-03-2007, 03:03 AM
lol I am accually 22;)
kewl

Pappy
05-03-2007, 05:50 AM

wow, you can play but when i do its wrong. just as i suspected.

eh quadking;)

stick to summer school.....BOY and since yourpop did not send you to your room for being a brat ill close this one. its the whole power trip thing just so you know:o