PDA

View Full Version : long travel arms

buster024
04-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I feel like this is such a noob question, but as a rule of thumb, are LT front arms most specifically designed for heavy mx & dune riding? Would it be overkill for the all around rider who does a little of everything (dunes, forest, backyard jumping, amateur mx etc...)??
Thoughts??

TWISTED DINLI
05-01-2007, 02:31 PM
yea it would be ok for you to get them for them kinds of riding. all they are is a-arms that can fit longer shocks for more shock travel. it would'nt hurt to get them.:)

JOEX
05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by TWISTED DINLI
yea it would be ok for you to get them for them kinds of riding. all they are is a-arms that can fit longer shocks for more shock travel. it would'nt hurt to get them.:)
It'll hurt the wallet...:ermm:

I haven't used LT, IMO i'd stick with standard travel.

buster024
05-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey Joex...I assume that means Oregon. Rode at Mccubbins Gulch this weekend. Great ride if you like tight forest rides. Go ducks!

tar
05-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by buster024
I feel like this is such a noob question, but as a rule of thumb, are LT front arms most specifically designed for heavy mx & dune riding? Would it be overkill for the all around rider who does a little of everything (dunes, forest, backyard jumping, amateur mx etc...)??
Thoughts??

From the way it sounds you really don't need long travel shocks and a-arms. I would just get some good standard travel ones.

400funex
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey buster024,
I have a similar question; not necessarily about LT but about good suspension in general for the dunes. That’s where I ride mostly, some trails but not much. I want to try and get the smoothest ride I can.

Does anyone know if it would be a better choice to go with the Fasstco Flexx bars or suspension, also is it worth the money to get the piggy back style?

mcleod
05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
another newb question.

will it be able to run long travel arm with a stock shock?

it's gonna drop the front way too much i know but will it bolt btw?

450 shock raise the ride a bit, so i was thiking that it can be lowered with long travel a-arm... i dont really know how much longer are they long travel shock then oem

i know it's gonna be better revalving it with new spring using stock travel a-arm! but who know btw...

Pipeless416
05-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by 400funex
Hey buster024,
I have a similar question; not necessarily about LT but about good suspension in general for the dunes. That’s where I ride mostly, some trails but not much. I want to try and get the smoothest ride I can.

Does anyone know if it would be a better choice to go with the Fasstco Flexx bars or suspension, also is it worth the money to get the piggy back style?

for your question regarding the flexx bars vs. aftermarket suspension, think about it this way: suspension suspends your entire quad, which your entire body sits on. the bars support your arms. you will get less jolts and vibration, but the benefits of both is like comparing apples to oranges. :macho

400exMO
05-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 400funex
Hey buster024,

Aftermarket suspension is the best thing I have bought. It makes the entire ride very smooth. The flex bars will help only with your arms.
The piggybacks are made for people who ride long and hard. Their purpose is to keep the shock fluid cooler longer reducing shock fade.

400exMO
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by mcleod
another newb question.

will it be able to run long travel arm with a stock shock?

it's gonna drop the front way too much i know but will it bolt btw?

450 shock raise the ride a bit, so i was thiking that it can be lowered with long travel a-arm... i dont really know how much longer are they long travel shock then oem

i know it's gonna be better revalving it with new spring using stock travel a-arm! but who know btw...
No you will not be able to do this. Long travel aarms are designed for long travel shocks. A short schock with change the geometry of the aarms and your frame will drag the ground when u hit a bump.

mcleod
05-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
Aftermarket suspension is the best thing I have bought. It makes the entire ride very smooth. The flex bars will help only with your arms.
The piggybacks are made for people who ride long and hard. Their purpose is to keep the shock fluid cooler longer reducing shock fade.

thanks for your quick answer.

probably sell my 450shock for a whole front kit including shock/a-arm btw! :)

was just hopping a miracle mix for cheap :D