PDA

View Full Version : More Power Out Of My 440EX?

tippmann9898
04-30-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm really happy with the power out of my 440 right now, but I'm the type of person that can never have enough power. I'm wondering how I can get more power out of it. I'm goin with a Dynatek Programmable Ignition and going to try a 16t front sprocket. The mods I have done are listed below. I'm looking for any extra power i can get without stroking. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Barrymaxx
04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Is your head ported yet? That would help.

Stroker would be your best bet, but dosent sound like you want that.

Go down teeth for more power.

flauge
05-01-2007, 08:34 AM
You could try a stg 3 hotcam or maybe a magnum stg2 for some more top end:cool:

Ruby Soho
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
stage 3 gives alot of power.. i do recommend it.

TWISTED DINLI
05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
if its not ported get it ported. that will help a lot.

blasterandy
05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Try a bigger oil cooler. Cooler engines run stronger ya know. I know CS says not to use a timing key on highly moddified engines but i wonder if it would be ok to do if you have an after market cooler. They only reason is because the xtra heat it generates. I bet that would boost ur power up some. Hell blow the 440 up and put a 500 in it. :devil: :D

06Banshee
05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Buy a banshee :)

Old Head
05-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Bigger valves

DOHC
05-01-2007, 06:20 PM
aluminum air box maybe

brokenmike
05-01-2007, 07:06 PM
You could adjust the timing in the Dyna tek ignition box without getting a timing key or you can get a lightened flywheel or keep the 15 tooth and go to a 36 rear sprocket

BigFish
05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
All that and a stock head:eek: Wow:p

A stock head is very restrictive... at least a port and polish if not extensive head work. U would also gain some w/ a keihn fcr 39 or 41

tippmann9898
05-02-2007, 05:19 AM
So I should get my head ported and polished and get bigger valves put in? What kind of gain will I see?

flauge
05-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Well if you have the money the port & polish, bigger valves and magnum 2 or hotcam stg 3 should be a great combo..
Let that 440 breeaathee :devil:

tippmann9898
05-02-2007, 06:44 PM
What do you guys think of puttin a bottle on it (nirtous). Just to use once in a while when i drag race some. I'm not a big fan of nitrous but it's one thing I'm thinking about. Has anyone done this to their 400ex. What are the pros and cons. I know it's hard on the motor, but I have it all built up and I just want to have the button there once in a while to play with other riders.

GPracer2500
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I was going to suggest a wet nitrous kit but decided against it. I figured if you weren't interested in getting into the bottom end then nitrous was probably out too.

I haven't run a nitrous settup on any of my machines, but someday I will....

Kits similar to these runs in the $500-$750 range:

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/power_sports/images/60001.jpg

http://www.coldfusionnitrous.com/images/wetkit_motorcycle.jpg

The main thing that would concern me on your engine would be how long the crank and rod would hold up. I imagine it would be ok with limited use and moderate power increases, but it's tough to say....

tippmann9898
05-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Well I have a HD HotRod Crank and connecting rod. What kind of power increase would I be looking at?

GPracer2500
05-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, that's good.

With nitrous you can (to a certain extent) dial in how much power you want. I'd think 10hp or maybe 15hp would be appropriate. That would put you at 50+hp for drag racing and I'd bet you'd win a lot of races with that.

My nitrous experience is limited so be sure to do your own research.

wilkin250r
05-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Nitrous isn't any more dangerous than a gun. You know the saying, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

I've blown up an ATV motor with nitrous, but I don't blame the nitrous. I blame my stupid self, it was never enough. The power was so easy that I just kept increasing it until it finally blew. I did the calculations afterwards, I think I was pushing about 45HP on a stock 250x. Oh, man, was it awesome. Considering the quad only cost me $400, I'd say it was almost worth every penny. :blah:

There are only three issues that can make nitrous dangerous. One of them is unlikely, which is mechanical failure of the fuel pump resulting in a lean mixture. It's unlikely, so don't worry about it.

One is easy to avoid, which is freezing. I've seen people spraying nitrous directly at and into their carburetor, and it freezes the slide wide open. You can see the danger in this, it doesn't slow down when they let off the throttle. But that's easy to avoid by moving the nozzle to a safe location.

The third and most likely is your own stupidity. There isn't a single method in the world that can keep you from increasing the jet size, adding more power (and more fun) until you finally blow it up.

wilkin250r
05-02-2007, 11:27 PM
And just because I like to give him a jab whenever possible, I'm glad to finally see a subject that GPracer can't write a novel on. :blah: :devil: :macho

flauge
05-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Hmmm. Im kinda curious about how much power the hot rods bottom end would hold. I bet it could hold a 15 shot, but then again youre running 13.1 comp.:eek2:
I used to play with nitrous back in the day when i had my old civic(dont laugh:o ). For like 3 or 4 months i sprayed the crap out of it, enough to refill the bottle almost every week:devil: and I never had any problems, nothin but fun.. Kinda like Wilkin said, its not the USE of nitrous but the MISUSE of nitrous that'll kill the engine.
Best advice I can give you is to not run lean when on it even on mild shots. That'll kill it a lot quicker than running lean without it b/c of the increased combustion pressure. Retarding ignition timing a couple degrees wouldnt hurt either..;)

tippmann9898
05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Who makes a good kit for ATV's? I'm still goin to go with a port and polish and bigger valves, Dynatek Ignition, but I think I'm goin to try the nitrous too, just to use once in a while when I'm against a bigger bike. I already beat piped and jetted 450r's and yfz450's until I hit the stock rev limiter on top end. I'm deffinetley not goin to abuse the nitrous, because I have way too much money put into the motor now. Just looking for a extra boost of fun!