PDA

View Full Version : 96 starting probs

ohiok5
04-30-2007, 12:46 PM
i recently got this bike with no stator or flywheel on it. it had been sitting a couple years. after putting the stat and flywheel on, it had spark. then i had to rebuild the carbs( the floats were stuck). i can only get the thing to start by putting gas directly into the cyl. after that it stays running but if i shut it off i have to put gas back into the cyl. to start it. the timing is not correct but is adjustable. but there are no marks where to set it or anything. so is the fact that it will not suck gas in when starting a sure way to tell the rings are bad? or maybe just the reeds??

KeHall
04-30-2007, 10:46 PM
when u put the carbs back on did u loosen the screws at the bottom of the carbs to get gas in them u may have to do that to get it to suck gas there r 2 screws at the bottom of the carbs loosen them 1 at a time till u see gas dripping out the the bottom then do the other 1 the samre way it will drip from the bootom of the quad

ohiok5
05-01-2007, 09:06 PM
i know the carbs are getting gas because it keeps runing after putting gas in the cyl.

firefighterjosh
05-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Hows the compression? I would test it. You can buy a compression tester at auto zone for $30 or less

ohiok5
05-02-2007, 09:52 PM
compresson was way low around 60. so i took off the head and one of the pistons was very loose in the cyl. and there was metal shaving everywhere. the cyl. all look good inside, but i need new pistons and rings for it.

KeHall
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I just redid my top end I used wiseco pistons and wiseco wrist pin bearings and cometic gasket kit I got mine through Rocky mountain atv for around 175.00

firefighterjosh
05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ohiok5
compresson was way low around 60. so i took off the head and one of the pistons was very loose in the cyl. and there was metal shaving everywhere. the cyl. all look good inside, but i need new pistons and rings for it.

IMO save your self the trouble and just get it bored out and get new pistons. I ran Vitos pistons and Love them. They have been on my banshee for 3 years now and still going. But betweent eh rebuild and pistons it was $350!:eek2: