PDA

View Full Version : 'Busa battery in EX?

medicdude
04-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I have heard that the battery from a hayabusa will fit in the 400ex battery box, and has more cranking amps than that stock honda battery. i'm gonna be needing a battery here pretty soon, and ive noticed its harder to crank over than stock, with the 11:1 440 kit. any input is appreciated.

thanks.

Hondahoo2
04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
It may be harder on your starter or charging system, just something to think about.

underpowered
04-30-2007, 10:41 AM
yeah you can use a busa battery. had 50 more CCA's than a stock battery. works pretty good. but there is another batter, a YTZ10-s that actually has more than the busa battery. the busa one and the stock one are the same size, while the YTZ10-s is a little shorter.

it may be a little harder on your starter, but so is the extra compression. the extra CCA will help override teh struggle of turnin it over, so no in the long run it will not really hurt your starter or the charging system.

i ran the Busa battery, then back to stock (kinda a long story on how i got a stock one now.) next time i need one i am gonna get the YTZ10-s.

ImplodedMindZ
04-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Havin a slow cranking starter from a crappy battery would be much worse for the starter b/c of the excess heat and extended length of time you would have to crank to get it started rather than a fast cranking starter from a good battery . Heat is a starters worst enemy.

Hondahoo2
05-01-2007, 05:46 AM
The best thing to do really is a put a Amp Meter in the circuit to read your actual current draw (A) and then go from there. Then you can match up real numbers rather then guessing and frying a very expensive electrical system.

My point of view is, this starter wasn't rated for this much load, if its having a hard time cranking the motor, just pumping more current into it may not be good for it either. It will create more heat if you over juice it to begin with also.
Your starter may be worn and need repair also.

Topeka-440
05-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I hope I’m adding and not hijacking this thread. But how many CCA’s does a stock Batt have?

underpowered
05-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Stock 400ex: YTX9-bs 120 cca
'zuki Busa: YT12a-bs 175cca
2001 CBR 600f4i:YTZ10s 190 cca

ImplodedMindZ
05-01-2007, 08:42 AM
I would say if your really worried about burning up ur starter and or charging system like previously stated, you can get starters rebuilt by some places to be more heavy duty more windings and such, and just get a high output stator. Alot of people run the stock starter and stator w/ the larger busa batteries w/ no ill effects. I have personally be runnin a busa battery for about 7 months w/ no problems at all.