PDA

View Full Version : back brake sucks

yeller_05_400ex
04-29-2007, 09:38 PM
i ride an 05 400ex and i am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem i have.. I bought the quad brand new in may of 2006, so about a year ago...the brake was fine all summer til i went muddin a few times last fall and it seems like dirt and mud have gotten into the brake componets and wont come out. My disc looks like it has had dirt particles grind into it. To even use the back brake i have to stomp on it all the way for it to even slow me down at all and it makes a slight grinding sound.. Does anyone know how to clean this area or have any suggestions?

thanks, landon

d3ktrix
04-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Sounds like the pads are shot.

The grooves on the rotor are probably from metal on metal contact with the back plate of the worn brake pad.

Pop the bad caliper off and check out the pads, its only 2 bolts.

Sand/mud in there normally wont hurt the rotor, they normally clean out pretty good.

Even if there is stuff stuck in your pad some how, you'll most likely need to replace the pads still.

Old Head
05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
If the pads are still good then try adjusting the breaks.

TXATVRIDER
05-03-2007, 12:43 AM
I had the same problem....Just make sure you clean out your brakes and look at your pads. If they look good the grinding sound is probably because you have sand stuck in the brake system. It's not hard to take it apart and do it though.

yeller_05_400ex
05-03-2007, 05:38 PM
alright thanks guys, ill check it out soon!

REDRIDDER
05-04-2007, 02:16 PM
ok then