PDA

View Full Version : KFX450 starting problems

kx515
04-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm having issue with this quad starting. I have about 7 hrs on the quad.
When the quad is cold, it takes a couple trys to get it to start. That is with the choke/ fast idle adjustment pulled. Once the quad is warm (5 mins or so) I can turn it off and then try and start it again and it will not fire up. I have the choke off and I'm also trying the ( on/off method) with the key switch to prime the fuel pump. It seems like the intake valves might be too tight?? It will backfire thru the exhaust every once in a while. Now, if I go out riding for a while and stall the quad it will fire right up. However, if I let set for 5 min's or so, it takes forever to get it started. I talked to Yokley at loretta's this weekend and he said to adjust the throttle positioning sensor????

BTW, air filter is clean and it has plenty of gas..

Here are the mods I have on the quad: Uncorked exhaust, removed air box lid. (uncorked exhaust/removed lid) PC III Map.

feature05
04-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Dude don't even worry about it. Everyone on here had experienced the same problem. So far after 10 hours and some very hard riding on the quad your starting problem will go away. It did for me. Its starts up immediately now. Just give it some time.

Punk'd
04-30-2007, 09:05 PM
It just needs time to break in and loosen up. From what I hear it goes away fast like feature05 said.

kx515
04-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I sure hope so. I corked the exhaust and added the stock map from the PC3. I'm charging the battery and I'll try it again tomorrow.

r1100boy
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
people need to look there is a choke lever on the throttle body wait for the fuel pump to quit a couple of pumps on the throttle and no touch the throttle it starts good hot dont touch the throttle and it starts touch the gas and it floods

ohsobad_chevy
05-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by r1100boy
people need to look there is a choke lever on the throttle body wait for the fuel pump to quit a couple of pumps on the throttle and no touch the throttle it starts good hot dont touch the throttle and it starts touch the gas and it floods

:huh :huh

feature05
05-02-2007, 12:03 AM
ohsobad_chevy

LOL...........my thoughts exactly..........LOL

kx515
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Are you serious??? There is a Choke on the throttle body and I should not touch the throttle:rolleyes:

I think we have already decided that the quad doesn't like the throttle touch before starting it and yes I think I can speak for all of us when I say we know where the choke/ idle adjustment is located.

However, thanks for you input.:D

QUADROOKIE
05-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Mine starts like a champ-has since day one. I think some people are just :rolleyes:

:devil:

kx515
05-02-2007, 12:12 PM
now now rookie.. some "quads" start easier than others.

I swear it's not operator error:confused:

QUADROOKIE
05-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by kx515
now now rookie.. some "quads" start easier than others.

I swear it's not operator error:confused:
I wasn't referring to you, but some other people I have heard have issues. You actually come on and explain in detail the issues you are having where as some people on other forums mainly come and say "this kfx is a p.o.s-it wont start" Then they find out about the cold start knob, or they realize they are trying to push the throttle as they try to start. I know on my XC starts, we do a dead engine start, with our hands on our helmets, and practicing on this thing it is gonn abe tough. On my old 400 I would push the throttle and start button simultaneously, well not on this thing LOL!

kx515
05-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Yea, I too race XC. I race in the Arkansas series. We don't have to put our hands on our helmets but we do have dead engine starts. I think this quad is going to be great for XC racing!! I too had a z400 before and it performed very well.. I just recently sold a 05 honda 450r. At first I was upset that I had sold it to buy the Kawi. However, when I first raced the Kawi it was stock. Now that I'm starting to add parts it's getting better and better. I can't wait to try out my Derisi suspension. With my 450r you could kick the crap out of it and grab and handful of thottle and hope for the best to the first turn!! With the Kawi you have to be a little more easy on the throttle at first. However, I raced the first round of the OMA and got to the first corner in 3rd out of ten and I didn't by no means leave the line first!!! this quad is going to be a holeshot puller when it is modded!!

AWheelerSS
05-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I had a similar problem when i first picked up mine. Everyone wants to hear the fuel pump. I think cycling the fuel pump is a bad idea. If it wont fire its most likely flooded. Clean the plug and one slight tap of the start button it will light.

kx515
05-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Installed new plug. Started good the first time. I turned it off and tired it again and it fired right up!! So I'm thinking it fixed WRONG!! I turned it back off and started it again at let it run for about 5 min's then I shut it off and tried to start it again. NO GO. I'm sending it to the shop once I get my shocks back. The dealership said they will call Kawi on Tuesday and they are going to use my for geniea pig to see what the problem is. I'll post the results as soon as I know something. Wish me luck:D

Groves187
05-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Ok, when you put in this new plug and started it and it started right up, then when u started it and let it sit for 5 mins and turned it off and tryed to start it again dont you think it could have been loaded up, it probably comes from the factory good and rich, so letting it sit and iddle will just let it load up, that would probably explain that when you are riding it and actualy putting load on the motor and you stall it out it fires back up. If i am wrong plz correct me!